- This article is about the creature and final boss that appeared in Sonic Rivals 2. You may be looking for the Ifrit Golem from Sonic and the Secret Rings.
The Ifrit (イフリート Ifurīto?) is an interdimensional, demonic fire-creature from another dimension and serves as the final boss of Sonic Rivals 2. Documented by Gerald Robotnik, the Ifrit is a terrifying being capable of destroying entire worlds with its flames and can as well enslave others with powerful mind control powers.
In the game, Eggman Nega (again disguised as Doctor Eggman) discovers a book (Gerald Robotnik's journal) that explains the Ifrit's power. He intends to free it from its dimension to help him conquer the world, but is unable to open the portal unless he gets the Chaos Emeralds and Chao for the Ifrit to feed upon.
Eggman Nega hires Rouge the Bat to find the Emeralds. On the advice of Doctor Eggman, Shadow and Metal Sonic attempt to find the Chaos Emeralds first to thwart Nega's plans. At the same time, Silver the Hedgehog arrives from a dystopian future that has been destroyed by the Ifrit, and tries to prevent Eggman Nega from finding the Chao (in the process, allying with Espio the Chameleon), in the process, leading Sonic and Tails to investigate the Chao's disappearance.
Rouge, nevertheless, manages to find six of the Emeralds (with some unwitting assistance from Knuckles the Echidna) and brings them to Eggman Nega in the Mystic Haunt Zone. The other teams also converge in this area, and witness Eggman Nega using the Emeralds to open a portal to the Ifrit's world. On the other side, Eggman Nega uses Metal Sonic 3.0 to awaken and defend the Ifrit, which manages to use some kind of mind control on Sonic and/or Tails (or Knuckles and/or Rouge, depending on which team the player is controlling), but is defeated by the other teams, and is destroyed.
Shadow and Metal Sonic manage to close the portal, sealing themselves and Eggman Nega in the Ifrit's dimension but allowing the other teams to escape. It is revealed that Metal Sonic had the seventh Chaos Emerald all along, which Shadow and Metal use to activate Chaos Control and escape back to their own world, leaving Eggman Nega trapped in the Ifrit's dimension alone.
- The Ifrit is similar to Iblis from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Both are fiery creatures named after djinn from Islamic mythology, and both threaten Silver's future. Even the Ifrit's design is similar in appearance to that of Iblis.
- The Ifrit shares its name with the Ifrit Golem from Sonic and the Secret Rings, and both beings are associated with fire and lava.
- The Ifrit is the only being in the Sonic continuity to have actually manipulated Sonic's mind as the Voxai Overminds from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood were unable to do so.
- The cutscene before the Ifrit's battle in Sonic and Tails' story or Knuckles and Rouge's story differs depending on the character chosen.