|This article is about a subject in the real world.|
Information in this article is about real-life people, companies, and objects, and does not relate to the in-universe Sonic series.
Jaleel White is an American actor and screenwriter who provided the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog in three animated series from the 1990s: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog in 1993, and Sonic Underground in 1999.
Outside of the Sonic the Hedgehog series, White is best known for the role of Steve Urkel and other roles on the television show Family Matters.
Jaleel White has mentioned that not many people know of his involvement with the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons. He is quoted saying "You gotta Google me deep to know I did Sonic."
When Jaleel White stepped into the character of Sonic, he mentions making efforts to have Sonic sound raceless. Despite being black, Jaleel White did not want Sonic to sound like a black man. He developed a unique voice for Sonic that does not represent any particular race. Sonic's voice and personality stayed consistent through all three animated DiC series.
- Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Christmas Blast:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series):
- Sonic Underground:
- Because of school commitments and filming Family Matters, Jaleel White recorded his lines for SatAM separate from all the other actors who recorded their lines together.
- According to an interview with Aaron Webber , he claims that if anyone were to voice Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations, it would be Jaleel White. Aaron had to choose between Classic Sonic being voiced by Jaleel White, or having no voice at all. Aaron also mentioned that he grew up with the classic cartoons of Sonic like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and he thought Jaleel White did a fantastic job.
- Most recently, White voiced Sonic in Eddie Lebron's short Sonic film which was released online in January 2013. His tone is more mature than his previous incarnations but still similar. Jaleel recorded many lines for Sonic, including a handful that didn't make it into the final version.
- In Sonic the Hedgehog #8, while Robotnik summoning robots based on comic book characters, he summons a Wolverine bot (based on the comic book character of the same name), but due to a communications glitch, a Wolvurkel (a combination between the superhero Wolverine and Steve Urkel) was sent and started dancing. Sonic states that he sounds familiar, and a side bar even said, "It's true! Jaleel 'Urkel' White is the voice of Cartoon Sonic!"
- Sonic Underground is the last Sonic cartoon to feature Jaleel White as the voice of Sonic.
- Jaleel White at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia