King Boom Boo (キングブーブ Kingubūbu?), also known as "The King of Ghosts", is a boss in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. He is a colossal ghost and the king of ghosts who leads the Boos and Boom Boos.
At some point, King Boom Boo took residence in Dr. Eggman's pyramid base. While Knuckles the Echidna was searching for keys to the base's center, King Boom Boo attacked the echidna. With Knuckles using his weakness sunlight against him though, King Boom Boo was defeated and dispersed into thin air.
Other game appearances
Sonic Rivals 2
In Sonic Rivals 2, King Boom Boo appears as a collectible card. It can be unlocked by winning the Tails Cup in Single Player mode. The card unlocks Tails' Captain suit.
King Boom Boo is malicious, sadistic and mischievous, laughing merrily when causing harm to others. However, he also has a cowardly side, as when the odds would turn against him during his battle with Knuckles, he would resort to running away. He also greatly hates sunlight and will try to hide from it. He appears incapable of coherent speech, only giving off babbles, grunts and roars.
Powers and abilities
As a ghost, King Boom Boo has several supernatural powers. He is capable of levitation and can levitate with enough speed to keep up with Knuckles. He also possesses pyrokinetic abilities which lets him either form blue fireballs in his hands and throw them like projectiles or blow a large wall of blue flames from his mouth. He can as well transform into a dark shadow of himself which lets him move along floors and walls, though he can removed from a surface by force which will make him revert back to his normal form. He can also seemingly turn himself invisible.
King Boom Boo's strength is tied to the light; when in contact with darkness and shadows, his powers are at their peak, allowing him to become bigger, stronger and seemingly invulnerable. Consequently, he is weakened when in contact with sunlight, making him shrink and vulnerable to attacks.
|King Boom Boo|
King Boom Boo at the beginning.
A boss battle that takes place in a part of Death Chamber
To begin with, King Boom Boo chases Knuckles around the arena. If the player gets too much in front of him, King Boom Boo will turn around and chase after Knuckles from the other direction of the area. During the chase after knuckles, King Boom Boo will throw blue fireballs at him all the while. After a while, he will pause to fire a jet of flame from his mouth: get behind him at this point to quickly to see a smaller Boo carrying an Hourglass. Hit the Boo and he drops the hourglass, opening up a hatch at the top of the temple. When sunshine pours in, King Boom Boo shrinks down to a shadow and tries to escape along the surface of the platform, including the walls and the ground: stand on top of his shadow to hold him in place, then use dig to chase a weakened King Boom Boo out of the ground. As King Boom Boo then flees around the place, catch up to him and attack with the Punch Attack to deal damage. Act with haste however, because when the ceiling hatch closes, King Boom Boo regains his strength. Repeat this strategy, although, after each hit, King Boom Boo becomes faster and the sand in the Hourglass runs quicker. Land four hits to defeat King Boom Boo.
Appearances in other media
King Boom Boo first appeared in the episode "Sonic's Scream Test", where he and his Boos kidnapped Sonic and the majority of his friends after the talisman keeping them trapped in their world was removed, with the goal of emerging in the living world. However, King Boom Boo was stopped and returned to his world thanks to the united efforts of Sonic and his friends
In Sonic X #14, King Boom Boo returned, having been summoned to an island when the talisman was taken there. There, King Boom Boo began possessing the islanders so he could enter the living world for good, but was convinced by Chris and Cream to return to his eternal sleep.
- King Boom Boo's presence can be seen at the giant pillars in Pumpkin Hill and in Aquatic Mine
- King Boom Boo was suggested as a new character for issues of the Archie Comics following Sonic the Hedgehog #134, but the plot line in which he was intended to feature appears to have been cut.
- King Boom Boo is the only boss in Sonic Adventure 2 to have green text appear on-screen before facing him.
- Although it's never shown, it's arguable that Knuckles was afraid of King Boom Boo, as when he notices him, he says "What the... a ghost?!", but he only says it with a little shock and disbelief. However, in an unused line, Knuckles says "What?! A ghost!" in a more frightened tone, and in the Japanese version, Knuckles says "O-Obake!", meaning "G-Ghost!", and he is clearly scared.
- King Boom Boo resembles the Boos from Nintendo's Mario series. His name even contains "Boo".
- When fighting him, the player can see a picture of a Nintendo Boo and a regular Boom Boo on the wall.
- King Boom Boo actually came before Nintendo's King Boo. King Boo's first appearance was in Luigi's Mansion, which was released the same year as, but several months after, Sonic Adventure 2.
- King Boom Boo and the other ghosts in Death Chamber look similar to Hyudoro in Sandopolis Zone in Sonic & Knuckles. Also, both of them inhabit pyramids.
- There is a glitch in the boss battle, when the windows on the roof of Boom Boo's arena are opened if the player pauses the game. The sky will change from blue to black. If the player resumes the game, the sky will return to its normal color. However, if the player restarts the game from the pause menu, the sky will stay black for the rest of the fight.
- Strangely, if the player restarts the battle, a scene features a Boo lifting the Hourglass will appear, which does not appear before.