|This location exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Kingdom of Mercia consists predominantly of forests (such as Deerwood Forest) and rivers. Its citizens generally use Old English vocabulary in addition to speaking a mixture of languages and dialects, with its French-speaking inhabitants including the D'Coolette family prior to their relocation to Mobotropolis.
The Kingdom of Mercia had existed as a kingdom for quite some time, though at one point its leadership was in question. This issue was settled by King Sebastian Acorn, and the rule of Mercia was held by the O'Hedge family for several generations. Unfortunately, the last king to sit on the throne of Mercia trusted an evil advisor, Lord Mordred Hood, who had his own ideas for how the kingdom should be run.
The Kingdom fell into severe decline after the despot Dr. Ivo Robotnik managed to take over the Kingdom of Acorn and spread his empire throughout Mobius. The Kingdom of Mercia was eventually overrun by Robotnik's forces, and Robotnik's Sub-Boss known as the High Sheriff was installed to ensure any rebellions were quelled. Those who managed to escape capture and roboticization at the hands of the High Sheriff and his Robian followers moved to Deerwood Forest, where Rob o' the Hedge became king. Rob also led the Mercian Freedom Fighters in an attempt to end the High Sheriff's rule. The group's efforts failed, and all of the members of the Crazy Kritters except Rob were captured and roboticized.
After the Lost Tribe of Echidnas was kidnapped by roboticized Mobians from Mercia, Knuckles traveled to the Kingdom to save them. Along with Rob O' the Hedge, Sonic and Tails, he rescued all the prisoners and members of the Lost Tribe.
After Robotnik died and the High Sheriff was apprehended, the Kingdom seemed to regain some of its territory and freedoms, despite the coming of Dr. Eggman. Contact continued between the Kingdom of Mercia and the Republic of Acorn, and Rob remained the region's protector. His fellow Freedom Fighters were also De-Roboticized, only for the group to be forced to deal with a new threat: the Mercia Dark Egg Legion under Grandmaster Mordred Hood. The Legion took a number of captives, and Rob took his family into hiding as a result while his team continued opposing the Legion, with some help from the visiting Chaotix.
Points of interest
The real world Mercia was an Anglo-Saxon kingdom in what is now the English Midlands. The term is sometimes still used to refer to the area.
The names Snottingham and Knottingham are derived from the city of Nottingham, which is within the English Midlands and is frequently cited as the setting of the tales of Robin Hood, as well as the words snot and knot (as in Knothole) respectively.
- The Kingdom of Mercia is based on the folkloric England from the tales of Robin Hood.
- With the exception of Mighty the Armadillo and Antoine D'Coolette's families, Amy Rose, and Flying Frog, most of the known natives to Mercia have names that are inspired either directly by Robin Hood folklore.
- Geographically speaking, Mercia is in the former regions of Europe, most likely the United Kingdom before the Xorda came to Earth.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Antoine D'Coolette'"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia "Acorn Lineage"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia "The Dark Egg Legion"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sonic Universe #46, "All For One Part One: Picking Up The Trail"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic Universe #47, "All For One Part Two: Ongoing Investigation"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Knuckles the Echidna #12, "The Forgotten Tribe Part Three of Three: Journey's End"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #58, "Friendly Rouges & Foul Villans"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #88, "Picking Up the Pieces"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #111, "I'll Shoot the Sheriff!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #195, "Hedgehog Havoc! Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #123, "The Last Robian"