Various members of the Knuckles Clan
|Group Overview and Statistics|
Unknown (over 4,000 years prior to Sonic Adventure)
Mystic Ruins (formerly)
The Knuckles Clan, also known as the Knuckles tribe, is a group in the Sonic the Hedgehog series who first appeared in Sonic Adventure. It was a race of echidnas that lived over 4,000 years ago in what would become known as the Mystic Ruins. The tribe's last known chief was Pachacamac who ultimately caused the clan's downfall at the hands of Perfect Chaos in an attempt to further his war efforts. They are also the ancestors of Knuckles the Echidna, the only living member of the Knuckles Clan left in the present day.
In the centuries leading up to 4,000 years ago, the Knuckles Clan had been living in peace, albeit strained. During their time, the Knuckles Clan established their city close to the Altar of the Emeralds, where the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald and a Chao colony resided.
At some point 4,000 years ago, Pachacamac inherited the leadership of the clan from Tikal's grandmother. Unlike the peaceful chief before him, Pachacamac yearned to expand the Knuckles Clan's small kingdom, and so made his move after his predecessor's death. Evolving the Knuckles Clan into a body of war, Pachacamac led his people into a series of swift conquests of the neighboring countries, plundering and killing everyone. As such, the Knuckles Clan's empire grew significantly in size and wealth. The Knuckles Clan steadily grew greedier and more arrogant as time went on and eventually sought to have their empire encompass the world. However, the clan was unable to take control of the nearby altar and its Emeralds, as a mysterious force kept them at bay. While the members of the Knuckles Clan supported Pachacamac because of the wealth and power he had given them, Pachacamac's daughter Tikal severely opposed them.
Eventually, the Knuckles Clan empire's expanding borders began pushing against those of the Nocturnus Clan empire, a rival echidna clan led by Imperator Ix. In a war of expansion, the Knuckles Clan fought the Nocturnus Clan in a constant bloody conflict for supremacy, where neither side refused to yield. The Knuckles Clan was ultimately pushed to its doom when the Nocturnus Clan began prosecuting the conflict by attacking with their prototype Gizoid. In a supposed act of desperation in the face of his clan's destruction at the hands of the Nocturnus Clan, Pachacamac sought to steal the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald from the Altar of the Emeralds by force, believing they were the keys to the Knuckles Clan's survival and continued victories. However, Tikal, who had befriend the Chao and their guardian Chaos at the altar, pleaded him not to go through with his plan.
Despite her daughter's pleads, Pachacamac orchestrated an attack on the altar with several of his warriors, somehow bypassing its barrier and destroying the altar. There, Tikal and a group of Chao tried to stop the clan from taking the Emeralds, where Tikal tried to reason with her father. Pachacamac, however, ignored her and ordered his men forward, tramping over Tikal and the Chao. This profound act of indiscrimination fiercely enraged Chaos, corrupting it with anger. In retaliation, Chaos took the negative energy of the seven Chaos Emeralds, transforming into Perfect Chaos and used its power to not only kill Pachacamac and his men, but also lay waste to the Knuckles Clan civilization and wiping out nearly the whole clan overnight. Before Perfect Chaos could destroy the rest of the world, Tikal stopped Chaos by sealing it within the Master Emerald with herself.
In the aftermath of the Knuckles Clan's actions, much of the world was left changed forever; the Knuckles Clan's city lay in ruins, becoming the Mystic Ruins, and the aftereffects from sealing Chaos created Angel Island. Also, the Nocturnus Clan soon after disappeared into the Twilight Cage, leaving the remnants of the Knuckles Clan to revive echidna society. Its surviving members devoted themselves to protecting the Master Emerald to ensure no misuse of the Master Emerald. Over the centuries though, the Knuckles Clan went into terminal decline as it slowly died out. In the present day, Knuckles the Echidna is its sole remaining member.
The males of the Knuckles Clan sport white, intricate tattoos across their heads and arms and have gloves similar to those of Knuckles. The males are also the only members of the tribe to possess the spiky protrusions/knuckles from their gloves. The females primarily work on agricultural/domestic projects, staying at home to clean and care for the children. Only males wear boxing gloves. Females wear normal gloves like Sonic, and have visible fingers.
The Knuckles Clan echidnas appear to worship the serpent, and incorporated it into their architecture of the Shrine and pillars, but not everyday folks' homes. Also, many of the doors inside and out of the Shrine is the shape of a fanged snake's mouth. All of the designs were very detailed, and made of stone and an unidentified blue material, which was used to decorate many buildings and pillars, as well as the eyes of the snake-doors and entrance to the Altar of Emerald. Two small stone serpents were placed at the top of the Shrine's stairway by the doorway, but they were not fanged, nor very detailed.
In other media
In the Archie Comics, the Knuckles Clan was the warrior caste of an group of echidna colonists from Albion. Hundreds of years ago, these colonists settled down in Soumerca, but ended up in a territorial war against the local Felidae. While some chose to leave, the warrior caste which became the Knuckles Clan, chose to remain and fight, alongside the science caste, the Nocturnus Clan. Soon, however, the Knuckles Clan and the Nocturnus Clan became enemies as well, and the conflict turned into a three-way war. Overwhelmed, the Knuckles Clan tried to take Chaos Emeralds to gain the power needed to win the war, but ended up incurred the wrath of Chaos and was destroyed.
The Knuckles Clan made a small appearance in the Sonic X animated series. In this media, much like in the games, the Knuckles Clan was a clan of warriors under the leadership of Pachacamac that conquered other countries. When Pachacamac and his men then tried to take the Chaos Emeralds, they incurred the wrath of Chaos, who then wiped out the Knuckles Clan in his fury.
- The Knuckles Clan is very similar to many Mesoamerican cultures such as the Aztecs, the Mayas & the Toltecs. Their city has a step pyramid temple surrounded by mountains lost in the jungle & their attire is similar to the Aztecs & the Mayas. The Knuckles Clan appear to worship a serpent deity just like the Aztecs who worships Quetzalcoatl & the Mayas who worships Kukulcan.
- According to the Japanese manual of Knuckles Chaotix, they created the Chaos Ring, which have some odd connection with Newtronic High Zone.
- ↑ Character Introduction: Hero/ characters for 2P battle. Archived from the original on September 27, 2011. Retrieved on November 30, 2014. “She is the daughter of the ancient Knuckles tribe's leader, Pachacamac, who was in Sonic Adventure. She is a caring person, and everyone loves her, however, she sometimes opposes her father's ways. She moves very quickly and is a proud warrior of this tribe.”
- ↑ BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. "Codex: The Knuckles Clan was a race of echidnas that lived in Sonic's world thousands of years ago. They were in constant bloody conflict with the Nocturnus Clan, another clan of echidnas that lived at the time."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (Nintendo DS) United States instruction booklet, pg. 4. "4,000 years ago, the two rival clans of the planet's dominant Echidnas race had been blessed with centuries of peace, albeit strained, but such days were to be short-lived. The expanding borders of the Knuckles' Clan empire and the Nocturnus Clan empire were pushing against each other, and neither side was intent on yielding."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Tails' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": The Chief's daughter loved her grandmother so much. The country was a lot smaller back when Grandma was alive. But the Chief wanted to expand his kingdom. After Grandma's death, he made his move... He did well. He quickly took over the surrounding areas. But his daughter didn't like what he'd done..."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Amy' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": We made a lotta money with our power. But whenever we tried to get the Emeralds, some strange force always stopped us."
- ↑ Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": Scared power? No way. I don't believe it. We're going in to get those stones! Then we can rule the world!"
- ↑ Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's awesome! He controls everything around here, except the altar..."
- ↑ Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Tails' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's fearless. Brave. Bold. With him, we can never lose. We owe everything to Pachacamac."
- ↑ BioWare (September 26, 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Blue Ridge Zone. "Imperator Ix: With our prototype Gizoids, we forced our rivals, the clan of mighty Pachacamac to its doom."
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. "Codex: The mystic Knuckles Clan lived in what is now known as Mystic Ruins. Their chief, Pachacamac, tried to steal the Chos Emeralds, which unexpectedly unleashed Perfect Chaos and virtually wiped out the entire clan. It is believed that this move was born out of desperation in the face of his clan's destruction at the hands of a rival clan. Almost immediately after Perfect Chaos nearly wiped out the Knuckles Clan, the Nocturnus Clan mysteriously disappeared, leaving the remnants of the Knuckles Clan to revive echidna society."
- ↑ Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles' version). "Pachacamac": Tikal, the 7 Emeralds are essential to our survival. It is for the good of all our people."
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. "Codex: Summoned by Pachacamac's attempt to steal the Master Emerald, Chaos attacked the echidnas and nearly wiped them all out. A peaceful echidna named Tikal, Pachacamac's daughter, soothed Chaos and managed to seal it, along with herself, inside the Master Emerald. The energy surge threw Angel Island into the air, causing it to hover over the land now known as Mystic Ruins."
- ↑ BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. "Codex: Knuckles the Echidna is the only surviving member of the Knuckles Clan. The rest of his people died out in the centuries since Pachacamac's disaster."