- For other uses of the term, see Lava Reef (disambiguation).
Sonic & Knuckles
Lava Reef Zone (ラバーリーフ Rabārīfu?) is the fourth Zone of Sonic & Knuckles (and the tenth of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles). It is the last normal Zone (due to the fact that all subsequent Zones have no Giant Rings).
It is the longest Zone in Sonic & Knuckles, and is also the longest Zone in any other Genesis Sonic game. It is based in a boiling hot network of mines, and then the magma chamber of the Floating Island's volcano in which the Death Egg crashed at the beginning of the game.
There are lots of tear away platforms, and most of them break away into bubbling lava. As in the Volcano Valley Zone in Sonic 3D Blast, the most valuable commodity here is the Fire Shield. The mini-boss is a pair of bullet-shooting tentacles and a giant metal hand. Destroying the hand actually ends the boss fight, even if the tentacles are not yet destroyed.
Act 2 of this Zone is the player's last chance to obtain Chaos Emeralds/Super Emeralds, and there are only a few Warp Rings in the Zone. In this second Act, a majority of the boiling lava has cooled and hardened. As the player makes his/her way through the massive cavern, the Death Egg becomes visible in the height of the mountain, still inactive. If playing as Sonic, Knuckles will drop the player into a cavern with the Death Egg for the boss fight. The Death Egg's laser cannons in its eyes suddenly activate, causing the lava to reach flashpoint and return to its molten state. Some of the ground actually turns fragile at this point and Sonic must immediately move before facing a hot bath in the bubbling lava below. Dr. Robotnik appears in his fortified Egg Mobile, armed with missiles and mines. The player must make his/her way from platform to platform ahead of Robotnik's missile barrage and avoid falling to his/her death as the screen forcibly progresses. After the camera halts, the player must traverse sparse footing down a lava fall. There's a Lightning Shield here which can help collect all the rings, but the Flame Shield is by far the most valuable for the boss fight. Find the Flame Shield and jump down to fight the boss.
If playing as Knuckles, there is no boss fight. Instead, Knuckles proceeds through a tunnel straight to the Hidden Palace Zone.
In a similar fashion to the Submarine Eggman boss from Hill Top Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Dr. Robotnik will rise up from the lava. However, his machine is fully protected with spikes. On the center platform, Dr. Robotnik will appear on the right and left sides, rising from the lava. Creating a southwest/southeast current, he'll attempt to make the platforms Sonic/Tails are standing on run into his protected machine, while constantly shooting spiky mines in means to cause problems while the player jumps from platform to platform. Eventually, after enough mines hit his machine, the scientist will be defeated and the lava will cool down, allowing access to the Hidden Palace Zone.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
- In both Acts, the Death Egg can be seen between the rocks; in Act 1 it is located at one point of the Act and it appears to be away in the heights, while in Act 2 it is located near the end of Act 2 but it's more close (even more after Sonic fell down).
- However, the Death Egg is gone when playing as Knuckles.
- The boss segment in Act 2 is considered the Act 3 of Lava Reef by the fans, due to all the Act being turned red.
- Also in the level select, the boss segment is listed as "Lava Reef 3".
- The music from this stage was largely sampled in Alax And Cat's popular YouTube video, "ChuggaConroy's : PIKMIN - THE MUSICAL along with Hydrocity Zone Act 1.
- The Lava Reef Zone appears as a part of the Sonic the Hedgehog Adventure World in Lego Dimensions.