|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Lightning Bolt Society are antagonists that appear in the Sonic Boom television series. It is a secret society consisting of the small-time crooks and regular folks on Seaside Island who have joined together to ascend as villains. However, they are very inept, small-minded, and at best considered two-bit crooks, their master plan being to control all the fruit in the village and beyond. As such, heroes like Team Sonic deem them harmless while supervillains like Dr. Eggman look down on them with contempt, despite many of the members admiring the latter.
The Lightning Bolt Society was founded by a number of its members, including Dave the Intern. Being wannabe villains, they would roam the Village to commit "evil", which primarily involved stealing fruits and being general annoyances. They would also repeatedly search Dr. Eggman's trash for anything of worth, including the Mutant Seed Gun.
While scouting, the Tree Spy saw Tails destroy an orchard. Interpreting this as an act of maliciousness, the scout reported back to the members Willy, Dave and a Weasel Bandit, who agreed Tails would be a significant addition to their organization and recruited him, though Tails had no idea of their alignment until after the Lightning Bolts made him their leader. As Sonic, Amy and Dr. Eggman then intruded, each to foil the Lightning Bolts for their own reasons, the Lightning Bolts tried fighting Sonic when ordered by Eggman, but utterly failed. Instead, the majority would swarm Eggman for autographs, enabling the heroes to get away.
The Lightning Bolt Society later met up for an emergency meeting to seize Eggman's abandoned lair. All they did was lounge around in the lair though. While trying to use the lair's systems, they launched several random attacks on Seaside Island and shut down Orbot and Cubot. Later noticing Team Sonic and Eggman were trying to stop them, the Lightning Bolts Society set an ambush for them, but got outsmarted and fled the lair.
When the Tree Spy discovered Sonic had retired and Team Sonic was out of town, the Lightning Bolt Society took this chance to attack the Village by harassing the villagers before sending sheep on a stampede through town. However, Sonic returned to halt the stampede. Then, when Willy "insulted" the villagers as his group moped, the Lightning Bolts were forced to attend Amy's sensitivity seminar. Following this incident, the Lightning Bolt Society would play pranks on the villagers with coins glued to the ground, though without Dave (whose mother had forbid him from hanging out with them).
Against all odds, the Lightning Bolt Society got called to Eggman's lair by Eggman himself to join his league of villains to destroy Team Sonic. After some leadership arguments and team exercises, the Lightning Bolt Society agreed to Eggman's leadership after Shadow the Hedgehog left the group criticizing them. Attacking Team Sonic, the Lightning Bolt Society helped divide the heroes into different fights with them. Even with robots provided by Eggman and their new allies though, they lost to the heroes.
All members of the Lightning Bolt Society wear long purple robes adorned with lightning bolts and hoods, the latter which they use to hide their faces. They also each wear a red fez with the Lightning Bolt Society's insignia on the front, which depicts a fist clutching two lightning bolts.
- Despite claiming that they are a secret society, the Lightning Bolts are not very discrete in their actions, presumably due to their ineptitude. While Tails had never heard of them, Sonic and Eggman knew of their activities. The group even has an online status update.
- The Lightning Bolt Society's insignia bares resemblance to the , an emblem associated with cyber-activity rights.
- The Lightning Bolt Society does not have a leader because it is not a well-organized group.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harrison, Reed (16 May 2015). "Eggman Unplugged". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 26. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sonic Boomcast Episode 8: Welcome to Freibergers. Sonic Boomcast (25 March 2015). Retrieved on 26 March 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Milano, Dan (7 March 2015). "How to Succeed in Evil Without Really Trying". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 16. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harrison, Reid (1 August 2015). "Next Top Villain". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 37. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (14 November 2015). "It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 52. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (3 November 2016). Retrieved on 3 November 2016. “Alexander Soerensen: Is Willy Walrus the de-facto leader of the Lightning Bolts? / Bill Freiberger: The Lightning Bolts are not a well organized group. They don't have a leader.”