Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Lost Labyrinth Zone is the third Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1. Here Sonic has to navigate through three ancient trials of the abandoned labyrinth: a trial of intelligence, a trial of darkness, and lastly a trial of water. Sonic will have to be on his "S" game to survive the ancient tests: balancing on boulders, lighting dynamite, and traversing an endless assortment of waterways.
- Act 1 - Ancient Maze of Mystery
- Act 2 - World of Darkness (Console)/Strange Mine Cart (iOS/Beta)
- Act 3 - Underwater Maze Escape
- Boss - Trap Filled Ruins
Act 1 - Ancient Maze of Mystery
Coming straight out of Casino Street Zone, Sonic travels south-west to an ancient structure. Sonic wastes no time and heads in, hot on the Doctor's tail, but will Sonic be able navigate the labyrinth or will he be caught by the traps, drowned by overflowing tides of water, or possibly flattened by giant boulders? Can he figure out the puzzles the maze holds?
Act 2 - World of Darkness (Console)/Strange Mine Cart (iPhone/Android)
Console: Sonic has witnessed only a taste of the danger to come. After exiting the maze, Sonic sees that the next pathway is shrouded in complete darkness; he grabs a torch and gets spelunking while facing the second trial: darkness. He comes across a mine cart. It is old and rickety, but with nothing else to hand, Sonic decides "better to die trying". It works as the light from it comes on and it works fine... for now. Sonic then comes across a giant block blocking his way; he sees a red colored rope he accidentally lights, trying to figure out how to get through when BOOM!! The colored rope was a fuse to light dynamite. With this info, he quickly blows through the act. When another mine cart comes up, Sonic rides it all the way through the caves. As the dynamite explodes the blocks under the mine cart, he speeds up and finishes the labyrinth's second test unscathed.
iPhone/Android: After passing through the first part of the labyrinth, he's plugged into a mine cart as the only way of moving the player has to rotate the stage in order to navigate towards the exit, but with twists, loops and badniks, it'll sure be a challenge Sonic can appreciate (Also used in console beta).
Act 3 - Underwater Maze Escape
Out of the dark and into the water, Sonic is trapped and has to bend to the labyrinth's third test of survival: water. Right off the bat, Sonic is hurtled in water. Sonic has to navigate water threatening to drown him. Sonic soon comes into contact with an old friend, but the reunion is interrupted when the walls move in to crush Sonic and he has to dash out of there. Sonic slides down the water's treacherous pathways, and he'll fall through endless loops of the slides if he doesn't figure out the puzzle. Soon after solving, he dashes and passes through Lost Labyrinth's third test.
Boss - Trap-Filled Rooms
While Sonic is running to find an exit, he finds Eggman who laughs then flies away. Sonic runs after him, not letting him get away. Sonic can hit Eggman along the way (but it won't count as a hit towards the battle yet to come) as the water rises to drown him. Sonic quickly hops over the traps and meets with the evil genius. As Eggman gives the signal, pillars rise up to block either from escaping the cave. Then pillars come from the sides of the other pillars at the ground and the ceiling trying to crush them both. However, Eggman has programmed the pillars to move in specific patterns and only Eggman knows them. Sonic has to follow him to avoid getting crushed. After taking too much damage, Eggman then retreats, and Sonic steps on the Egg Capsule releasing the small animals.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal
Act 2 - The Altar's Hidden Treasure
After being repaired and heavily upgraded, Metal Sonic arrives at the Lost Labyrinth Zone and begins to explore the ancient ruins. As he reaches the deeper, darker corridors of the sanctum, Metal discovers a hidden room, discovered and left to him by Eggman. As he ventures deeper inside, he discovers a powerful, electrifying orb atop an altar, the orb illuminating the entire room. As he absorbs the orb and releases a powerful shockwave of purple energy, Metal Sonic then tears through the walls confining him in the Labyrinth, departing for the electric roads of Casino Street Zone.
The stage is a modified, harder version of "Act 1 - Ancient Maze of Mystery" from Episode I. The Labyrinth is littered with more badniks and traps than it was when Sonic previously ventured the area.
- If the player transforms into Super Sonic in the console and PC version of Act 2, then the whole act will be illuminated, thus removing the need to light the torches almost completely.
- Casino Street Zone and Lost Labyrinth Zone are the only zones to have alternate acts on different game systems and both the acts are Act 2.
- The story shown on the Sonic 4 Website hints that Dr. Eggman was searching for something in Lost Labyrinth. It turns out that the item Dr. Eggman was searching for was a strange looking orb, most likely with the intention of completely powering up Metal Sonic and give him the powers he uses on Sonic in Episode II.
- Act 3 is the only level in the game with underwater sections.
- In the demo of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I, it is impossible to clear the torch area without lighting the wrong one.
- The power that Metal Sonic receives gives him a magenta aura similar to his OVA counterpart Hyper Metal Sonic which is visible during his activation and also boost color.
- There are three hidden lives in Episode Metal.