Luigi, younger brother of Mario and rival of Shadow the Hedgehog
Charles Martinet (1997-present)
The "King of Second Bananas" (used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Brown shoes, dark blue overalls, green cap with L sign, white gloves
|Alignment and character traits|
Mario, Princess Daisy, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Rosalina, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Racing, Mario Parties, Mushrooms, Professor E. Gadd, Adventures (sometimes), Sonic, Miles "Tails" Prower
|Powers and abilities|
Running, Jumping, Green Fire attack and fireballs, Lighting power eg. thunder-hand, running on water (for short periods), helicopter jump, invisible transformation, Vacuuming Ghosts, Olympic Events, Negative Zone
Luigi is a heroic individual who has assisted or fought alongside his twin brother, Mario on many occasions. Throughout his life he has lived in Mario's shadow, developing both cowardly and heroic tendencies. Luigi has been alongside with Mario in all his crossovers with Sonic the Hedgehog and has formed a rivalry with Shadow.
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Like all Mario's spin off outings, Luigi joins him once again in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Since Mario and and Sonic have been long time rivals, Luigi has taken on his own rivalry with Shadow the Hedgehog instead. Both Luigi and Shadow have been living in the shadows of the stars (Mario and Sonic, respectively), they have both been striving for so long to be second best, now they must compete with each other to be at least third. Luigi and Shadow continue this rivalry into the sequel, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, but they are shocked to find they are both left in the dust by Metal Sonic. Luigi is an all around well balanced character along with Mario, Blaze and Amy. His Emblem and Flag is the "L" symbol that he wears on his hat.
DS missions includes:
- Earn 3rd place in 100m freestyle.
- Jump between 13-15m in Triple jump.
- Hit rings in this order in Archery: Black, Red, Blue.
- Earn five points using only spin shots in Table tennis (Press Y to hit left and hold left and press A to hit right and hold right).
- Score at least 15 points with 10 shots.
- Beat Shadow in Dream race.
Wii missions includes:
- Jump perfectly right before the foul line in triple jump.
- Finish between 3 min 20sec-3 min.25 sec. in 4X100m freestyle.
- Destroy six blocks and fall to the water first in dream platform.
- Use all your stamina and stagger to finish line first.
- Finish the game with ten points in dream table tennis.
- Defeat Waluigi in dream fencing.
Super Smash Bros. BrawlLuigi makes his 3rd playable appearance in the Super Smash Bros. series. Luigi is an unlockable player in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He is a middle-weight with strong and fast attacks. To unlock him, the player has to play 22 brawls, complete Classic mode without using continues, or simply get him to join other characters in The Subspace Emissary.
- Standard - Green Fireball
- Luigi shoots out a fireball that travels horizontally, even in mid-air as opposed to being affected by gravity of Mario's Fireball
- Side - Green Missile
- Luigi crouches down and the move can be charged if the player holds the special move button. When released, the move launches Luigi in a horizontal direction inflicting damage onto the first opponent it touches.
- Up - Super Jump Punch
- Similar to Mario's Super Jump Punch, Luigi performs an uppercut while jumping though the move leaves him more vulnerable. However, if used at the right time, the Super Jump Punch deals a large amount of damage and has a high potential to score the player a KO.
- Down - Luigi Cyclone
- Luigi spins around, damaging all that contacts him. This move proves difficult to evade. It is similar to the Star Spin.
- Final Smash - Negative Zone
- Luigi creates a distorted circular field where opponents inside can suffer various negative effects (hence the name). This then allows the player to follow up with a smash attack or the Super Jump Punch to his vulnerable opponents.
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Luigi returns, this time in Vancouver, Canada, once again rivaling Shadow the Hedgehog. Luigi will join Mario and Sonic to save the Snow Spirits in the DS Adventure Tour. King Boo also chooses him to ski against him since Luigi has a fear of ghosts. Luigi also beats a group of Boos to get a key to a gate.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Luigi reappears in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games as an all-around character.
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Luigi also appears in Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Luigi, like all other previous installments, appears as a secret, unlockable character. His final smash has been changed into the poltergust 5000.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Luigi is set to appear in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Together in Parody
On 17 December 1995, the hit prime time comedy The Simpsons episode 3F07 (139) "Marge Be Not Proud" featured appearances by Sonic and Luigi. There was a scene in this episode where Bart is tempted to steal a video game. In his head, Bart is visited by Luigi, Mario, Donkey Kong and Sonic who all try to justify Bart stealing the game.
Luigi's quote: Go ahead-a Bart take-a the Bonestorm.
Sonic's quote: Just take it! Take it, take it, take it, take it, take it... Take it!
|Sega Characters||NiGHTS | Reala | Alex Kidd | Amigo | Aiai | MeeMee | Beat | Gum | Billy Hatcher | Ulala | Pudding | AGES | Bonanza Bros. | Jacky Bryant|
|Nintendo Characters||Mario | Luigi | Donkey Kong | Yoshi | Princess Peach | Princess Daisy | Bowser | Bowser Jr. | Wario | Waluigi | Toad | Mii|
|Other||Xbox Live Avatar | Santa Claus | Danica Patrick | Andronic|