in other media
|Alignment and character traits|
Sonic and his friends
|Skills, abilities and powers|
Lumina Flowlight (ルミナ・フロウライト Rumina furouraito?) is one of the main characters in Sonic Shuffle. She is half of Maginaryworld's ruler, Illumina, and represents the positive feelings which give people the ability to dream. After her creation, Lumina served as the protector of the Perfect Precioustone. When it was shattered by Void, her other half, Lumina strived to restore it with the aid of Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends, which ultimately led to her reuniting with Void.
Lumina was born when Illumina lost sight of herself and her dream which caused an internal turmoil that split her in two separate beings: Lumina, the representation of the positive aspects of dreams, and Void, the representation of the negative aspects. Lumina, however, could not recall her time as her original form, which caused her to believe that she was a subordinate of Illumina and that the two of them protected the Perfect Precioustone together.
Following her creation, Lumina assumed the role of Guardian Fairy. When the Perfect Precioustone was shattered by Void, Lumina believed this caused Illumina to lose her powers and become imprisoned in a faraway world. With Maginaryworld now in danger of being destroyed by Void's darkness without the Perfect Precioustone's power, Lumina send a message out to everybody in other worlds dreaming of Maginaryworld in search of a hero with courage and heart who could help restore Maginaryworld and save it from certain doom. As an answer to her message, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy were transported to Maginaryworld. However, with only so few having come, Lumina began to fear people had forgotten about dreaming and Maginaryworld.
Meeting with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy in the Temple of Light, Lumina introduced herself and Maginaryworld while explaining why she had brought them here, along with what she believed had happened to Illumina. She then pleaded for their help to recover the Precioustones and restore the Perfect Precioustone: Fortunately, Sonic and his friends' gave her their full support.
With Sonic and his friends behind her and her acting as their guide, Lumina first took the group to Emerald Coast where they found the first Precioustone and as restored the world after it was partially frozen over. Lumina then took them to Fire Bird where they found the second Precioustone and released the world's true form, a phoenix, from imprisonment. After that, Lumina and the group went to Jungle Zone where located another Precioustone and as well brought the jungle back to life. From there, Lumina took Sonic and his friends to Riot Train where they brought the rampaging train there to a halt and found another Precioustone. Using the train to travel some of the way, Lumina guided the group onward to the Fourth Dimension Space where they recovered the last Precioustone. During their travels, whenever they got a Precioustone, Lumina would appear in a vision before Sonic and his friends with Void. In these visions, Lumina would tell Void to stop his actions, explain about Illumina and Void, and express her own doubt about the future of dreams.
After bringing all the Precioustones back to the Temple of Light, Lumina saw Void heading there to steal the Perfect Precioustone. When they got to the Temple to stop Void, Lumina wanted to know his motives, but could not understand that Void just wished to be whole again to fill out his loneliness. After they defeated Void, Lumina gave into despair as the Perfect Precioustone was not recovering and Illumina remained lost, and she questioned whether her actions were the right thing to do. However, Lumina was brought back to her senses after Sonic found Void as a gem, and he and his friends gave her a pep talk about the balance between positive and negative emotion being necessary for people to create and attain their dreams. Lumina then took Void's gem and entered the reformed Perfect Precioustone where Void is restored and Lumina accepts him, making them remerge into Illumina.
Lumina is a young girl who is full of energy. Despite her childish looks, she talks in a very mature and rational manner. She is stubborn and does not give up no matter how bad a situation is. After only a few answered her message, however, Lumina grew doubts about the future of dreams and Maginaryworld, fearing that people had given up dreaming and had forgot about Maginaryworld which would leave her alone. Over time, Lumina's doubts grew until she lost herself to despair, but was cheered up by Sonic and the others.
Initially, Lumina rejected negative feelings as a part of dreams because of their ways of destroying them. However, Lumina came to accept negative feelings as a necessity for dreams to flourish, which in turn let her accept Void and become whole again.
Powers and Abilities
Lumina has the ability to open portals that leads to each of the different worlds within Maginaryworld. She is also capable of flight and is able to teleport.
Appearances in Other Media
Lumina appears in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin off comics as a part of the comics' adaption of Sonic Shuffle. Like in the game, she enlisted the help of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy to help her restore the Precioustone after Void shattered it.
- "...Please, please help me! I need your help! I need to gather the pieces of the Precioustone!"
- —Lumina asking Sonic and his friends for help.
- "Please! Stop! Please don't destroy the Precioustone! Please don't destroy our world made of everyone's dreams!!"
- —Lumina telling Void to stop his actions.
- "The spirit of dreams are to travel through air, land, sea, and even between stars... There may be differences but the spirit is the same... like the phoenix."
- —Lumina about the spirit of freedom and dreams.
- "Nature is so beautiful! You have to respect Mother Nature. Our dreams... A world we want to protect... But... Sometimes people forget to love Mother Nature... I'm afraid... nobody will wish for this world..."
- —Lumina about the Nature Zone.
- "Everyone's dreams... What is a dream? Is it the wish to do something, become something or change something?"
- —Lumina about the nature of dreams.
- "But... There are many different kinds of dreams. Ambition, Possession, Domination... These are dreams from the dark realm."
- —Lumina about dark dreams.
- "A heart... a delicate and precious thing that can be broken easily. But everyone has a darkside deep in their heart. At times, people can be trapped in their worst nightmare. But they won't know that they are trapped."
- —Lumina about the darkness in people's hearts.
- "...Thank you everyone. I was probably the one... who had lost myself in my dark feelings..."
- —Lumina after coming out of her despair.
- Lumina bears a strong resemblance to NiGHTS, and they share many similarities.
- When the date on the Dreamcast is set to December 24th (or when the Dreamcast's internal clock recognizes that day's arrival), NiGHTS replaces Lumina. Likewise, on April 1st, she is replaced by Reala.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Shuffle English instruction manual, p. 23
- ↑ Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (November 14, 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Sega Dreamcast. Sega. Level/area: Opening sequence. "Lumina Flowlight: Illumina, the Goddess of Dreams, and I are the protectors of the Precioustone."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic Shuffle English instruction manual, p. 2
- ↑ Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (November 14, 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Sega Dreamcast. Sega. Level/area: Opening sequence. "Lumina Flowlight: When the Precioustone shattered, Illumina lost her powers and became a prisoner in a faraway world..."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (November 14, 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Sega Dreamcast. Sega. Level/area: Riot Train. "Lumina Flowlight: I sent everybody a message. To the people who dreamed of this world. But... You were the only one who answered. My message did not reach anybody else. Nodody dreams of this world. Did everyone forget to dream? Is a dream not precious any more? Am I the only one who is all alone?"
|Characters||Sonic (Super Sonic) | Tails | Knuckles | Amy| Gamma | Big | Chao | Dr. Eggman* | Lumina Flowlight* | Illumina* | Void* | NiGHTS*|
|Boards||Emerald Coast | Fire Bird | Fourth Dimension Space | Nature Zone | Riot Train|
|Techniques/Moves||Spin Dash | Propeller Flying | Climb | Hammer Jump | Hover | Light Speed Dash | Light Speed Attack | Rapid Tails Attack | Maximum Heat Knuckles Attack | Spin Hammer Attack | Laser Blaster | Lock-On Missile | Power Rod | Lullaby|
|Other|| Forcejewels | Magical Cards | Maginaryworld | Precioustone | Script | Temple of Light