|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Underground continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Manic the Hedgehog is a green anthropomorphic hedgehog from the Sonic Underground animated series. He is the brother of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonia the Hedgehog, as well the son of Queen Aleena. Manic plays the drums in the triplets' band.
Manic's spikes are shaggier than Sonic's and Sonia's. He wears a red vest, black spiked wristbands and an orange fanny-pack, which he seems to fit anything and everything in, from his drumsticks to his lock picks and to whatever he steals. His left ear is pierced with two small gold loop earrings.
Manic's character is a pickpocket, placing him in the lowest role of growing up for the siblings: Sonic lived in an average home, while Sonia lived like a princess. When their mother was forced to separate them, his basket was stolen and brought to the thief Ferrell, who raised Manic to be a thief.
Manic is the "laid back" sibling, and sometimes speaks slang in the show. He has a sort of "valley boy" accent. Though raised to be a thief, he is good-natured and has a distinct sense of moral standards, refusing to steal from any just as or more unfortunate than him. Manic also has a good sense of humor, and like Sonic, he's also a bit of a thrill seeker. He can get jealous of his sibling's special abilities; putting himself or others in danger by attempting to prove himself or doing things on his own.
While Manic gets defensive when his old background is criticized, he grew up without ever feeling he had a real home until he met his siblings.
Powers and abilities
Manic possesses neither his brother's speed nor his sister's strength, thus making him the only member of the Sonic Underground with no superpowers on his own. What he lacks in physical strength though, his thieving skills and mastery with computers and machines is greatly needed. Manic seems to be the only one of the three that can pick locks, get away with stealing, fix auto machinery, and hack into computers.
Like his siblings, Manic is an accomplished musician, as he is a drummer in Sonic Underground. He can twirl his sticks with his left hand (and in later episodes, with his right hand), twirl both sticks in his right hand (shown twice), and throw them in the air and catch them as some drummers do. His sticks are small and quite flexible.
Like his siblings, Manic possesses a medallion resembling a drum kit that doubles as a weapon. However, when used properly, his drum set can control the earth, creating seismic activity under Manic's direction, and fire lasers like those of his siblings. His cymbals can even reflect laser fire. According to the Oracle, his drums are the most powerful weapon of the three. He rides on a hoverboard, which also acts like a surfboard.
In other media
Manic, along with Sonia and the Sonic Underground incarnation of Sonic, appeared in the Archie Comics series in Sonic Super Special #10. In this special, the Underground triplets team up with the main Archie Sonic to battle Evil Sonic. While their Sonic teamed up with his alternate self to battle Dr. Robotnik, Manic and Sonia freed Evil Sonic from prison, only to turn him over to Zonic the Zone Cop, who placed him in custody. Manic, when introduced to Sonic Prime and told a little about Mobius Prime, was incredulous that his "brother" had a sidekick named "Tails".
- Manic always addresses his mother as "Ma", though he referred to her as "Mother" twice in the episode "A Hedgehog's Home is Her Castle".
- In the episode "Mobodoon", it is not only revealed where Manic and his siblings were born, but when. Manic points out that "on the second even day of the third month when the moon is full, BAM it shows up just like clockwork", most likely meaning they were born on March 4.
- It is possible that Manic was named after the Radiohead demo tape Manic Hedgehog.
- In the episode "Sleepers", Manic's speaking voice is lower than normal.
- Manic does not have any physical ability, but in the episode "The Big Melt", he is shown doing a huge "Sonia Spin" with Sonic.
- In the episode "Wedding Bell Blues", when the trio go to Bartleby's house, they pretend they are carpet cleaners; Manic's outfit looks a little like Mario's overalls, and Sonic's outfit looks somewhat like Luigi's overalls.