"Map of Mayhem" is the forty-seventh episode of the anime series, Sonic X. It first aired on 22 February 2004 and 5 March 2005 in Japan and the United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Rouge the Bat
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Chuck Thorndyke
- Mr. Tanaka
- Scarlet Garcia
- Dr. Cadberry (First appearance)
- Dr. Eggman
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
Far out at sea, Topaz and several other humans are sailing aboard the Seahawk, a research vessel. Suddenly their radio jams, and they are attacked by a mysterious galleon. They are just able to get off an SOS message to GUN before the transmission cuts out. The President and Rouge suspect that Dr. Eggman is responsible.
Meanwhile, Eggman has heard the news that Knuckles has just discovered the oldest map in the world. He sends Decoe and Bocoe to steal it, so they sneak into the museum disguised as mummies and steal it from Dr. Cadberryi . The English dub omits the sequence that follows: when Knuckles catches the robots on the run, they escape him by hiding in a bar full of belly dancers. Knuckles becomes flustered and runs out, but the robots decide to stay for a while, and when they return to Eggman with the map, they are covered in lipstick marks.
When Knuckles returns to the Thorndyke Mansion with his story, Dr. Cadberry also arrives. He tells them of a continent called Murasia: an advanced civilization used to live there, until the island sank into the ocean. Eggman and Atsumi have both learned from the map that the last remnant of Murasia is a small volcanic island at zero latitude. Chuck guesses that the Seahawk incident is connected to Murasia, so Chris brings his family and friends--and the X Cyclone--along on a boat to find the island.
When they arrive at the island, a large ship, resembling a galleon, rises out of the sea and attacks them, damaging the X Cyclone. The galleon is Eggman's latest vessel, the Egg Battleship, and he announces to Sonic and the others that the island is in fact "the world's bellybutton"--a magma pressure point that, if stimulated, will cause all the volcanoes in the world to erupt and destroy civilization. Dr. Cadberry guesses that this must be what caused Murasia's downfall.
Sonic attacks Eggman directly, but falls in the water. As Chris jumps in to rescue him, Tails repairs the X Cyclone and prepares to attack. Before he can finish, a new ship appears: it is GUN, including Rouge, in the "GUN Fort V3"--which is actually just Eggman's old, abandoned Egg Fort. GUN engages Eggman, and Tails takes off in the X Cyclone to join the fight. As Eggman loses ground against his two enemies, he reveals that he has the crew of the Seahawk aboard as hostages, and they will die if his ship is destroyed. Rouge is happy to see that Topaz is still alive, and she leaves the GUN Fort to rescue the hostages.
Eggman finally charges up a "final weapon" to use against his attackers, but Sonic and Knuckles use a combo attack to destroy it. Eggman is nearly caught in the ruins of his ship, but he distracts Rouge and escapes towards the volcano. Sonic and his companions follow him, knowing he has not given up on his plan just yet.
- The last message broadcasted by the Seahawk differs between dubs.
- The scene where Tanaka is practicing with his sword was cut in the English dub.
- The report that Eggman shows Knuckles was blanked in the English dub.
- Dr. Atsumi was renamed Dr. Cadberry in English dub, along with the palace's name.
- In the original version, there is a thirty-five seconds scene where Decoe and Bocoe escape Knuckles after running into him on their way back to Eggman by disguising themselves as dancers in a dance club which Knuckles gets too flustered over to enter and runs away. This scene was removed in the English dub, most likely due to suggestive themes.
- In the English dub, twelve seconds showcasing various parts of the Egg Battleship was cut out.
- The scene where Eggman impersonated Dr. Cadberry's head was cut from the English dub.
- In the English dub, there is one second that got cut out of the scene where Rouge is held at gunpoint, only for Rouge to kick the weapon away.
- In the English dub, several seconds were added to the charging of the Egg Battleship's energy beam due to the English dub's commercial breaks.
- The "GUN Fort" went unnamed in the English dub.
Title in other languagesEdit
|Japanese||緯度0大決戦！！||The Great Decisive Battle on Latitude 0!!|
|French||Le Nombril du monde||The Navel of the World|
|German||Die Karte von Murasia||The map of Murasia|
|Italian||La mappa di Murasia||The Map of Murasia|
|Spanish||Batalla decisiva en el Ecuador||Decisive battle in Ecuador|
|Russian||Решающая битва на Экваторе!!!||Decisive battle at Equator!!!|
- This episode's title is a reference to the 1969 science fiction film Latitude Zero.