Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Maria Robotnik is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-off comic series published by Archie Comics. She was the granddaughter of Professor Gerald Robotnik and cousin to Ivo Robotnik. Maria had a rare but terminal disease called Neuro-Immuno Deficiency Syndrome. In order to save her life, Professor Gerald agreed to the President of Station Square's proposal to create immortality and took Maria to the Space Colony ARK. He managed to make a potential cure with the help of Black Doom, but Maria was shot by a soldier when trying to escape the ARK when the project was terminated.
Life on the ARK and Death
Maria suffered from the rare but terminal Neuro-Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, which Maria's grandfather, Gerald, had hoped to make a cure for the disease through his creation of Shadow the Hedgehog, an immortal life form that would allow man to live forever. Maria befriended Shadow shortly after his creation, and was also friends with Abraham Tower aboard the Ark.
Before Project Shadow was completed, Station Square's military decided to use Project: Shadow as a weapon. When Maria spotted a military team's ship that was sent to Space Colony ARK to retrieve both Gerald and Project: Shadow, Gerald ordered Maria to take Shadow to an escape pod and escape with him. Although she got Shadow on board the escape pod, Maria was shot in the back and killed.
Following Shadow's release by Dr. Eggman, the ultimate lifeform operated without knowing his true purpose. Believing his role was to exact revenge against G.U.N. for killing Maria, Shadow acquired a Chaos Emerald from Station Square's bank to help Eggman achieve this objective. It was not until over a year later that Shadow discovered a holographic diary of Professor Gerald's which would tell him of his purpose in life. While inside the diary, he met up with a holographic representation of Maria that led him to another hologram of Gerald. Gerald revealed to Shadow that he was to be the protector of all life on Mobius and defend them from the Black Arms when they returned in fifty years. The diary then began to degrade into nothing and Shadow was forced to leave, but not before saying goodbye to Maria and saying he would hold her in his heart.
Maria was a kind, gentle soul, a caring and thoughtful person, always giving support to her friends when they needed it. Though young, she had a strong sense of righteousness, a trait which she passed on to Shadow, who was her best friend before her death.
Shadow the Hedgehog
Maria and Shadow cared deeply for each other. Maria could have been a sister figure to Shadow or a mother figure to Shadow.
Maria was shown to be fond of her grandfather, who cared greatly for her, and her death was met with much anger from Professor Gerald.
- When Maria first appeared she was portrayed with a white dress and brunette hair. Later her hair was changed to blonde and her dress was changed to blue so she resembled her game counterpart more.
- In Sonic the Hedgehog #158, Dr. Eggman claimed to Shadow that Maria was his half-sister as opposed to his cousin. This was later explained by writer Ian Flynn as an attempt to simply make the loss seem much more personal to Eggman, thereby winning Shadow's alliance much more effectively. Whether this is a retcon or Eggman simply lying to Shadow remains unknown, but further indications of Eggman lying are that he said he was an infant when Maria died, but he was not even born when this happened. It is most likely the latter event since Flynn (who took over as writer of the book two issues later) has been trying to make the comic's continuity closer to that of the games.
- Maria's last name was first confirmed as Robotnik on the Sonic Universe Blog.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "G.U.N. and Commander Abraham Tower"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #98, "As the Shadow Awakes!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #98, "Sonic Adventure 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #171, "I Am"
- ↑ http://www.archiecomics.com/blog/sonic_universe/2010/07/in-memory---maria.html