|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For the version of this character before the Super Genesis Wave, see Marine the Raccoon (Pre-Super Genesis Wave).
|Marin the Raccoon|
Marine the Raccoon
Orange, brown, white, cream
|Alignment and character traits|
|Powers and abilities|
Marine the Raccoon is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. She is a hyperactive anthropomophic raccoon and sailor, and a resident of Seagull Island in the Sol Zone. A lover of excitement and constantly seeking adventures, she is a friend of Blaze the Cat, Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, and other allies of the pair from Sonic's World.
Marine is a small light orange raccoon with blue eyes. She has dark brown ears, a white muzzle, and rings around her tail; she also has dark brown and cream markings around her eyes. She has two upturned "pigtails" tipped in dark brown with yellow ties. She wears a green top with a white trim and short black leggings, green and orange shoes, and tan gloves.
Sonic Rush Adventure
Pirate Plunder Panic
- Note: From the readers point of view, this picks up from where Marine's original timeline ended.
After the Super Genesis Wave, Marine was reunited with Blaze along with three unlikely allies: Amy Rose, Cream the Rabbit, and Cheese, who proceeded to join them in searching for the final Sol Emerald aboard the Ocean Tornado, which was manned by the Coconut Crew. After a week of searching, they encountered Captain Metal and his crew, who held the final Sol Emerald. A battle ensued, during which the Ocean Tornado was easily overwhelmed by the pirates' advanced weaponry and heavily damaged, much to Marine's dismay. Regardless, Marine had her crew constantly return fire, only to be bombarded with strange-looking bombs, which, on two separate occasions, Amy and Cream had to save her from getting hit by. When the pirates ceased fire, Blaze took the opportunity to sneak aboard their ship. As she left, Marine had Amy and Cream help her with a new idea: firing a fireworks rocket from one of the ship's cannons as a distraction for Blaze. However, this plan, quite literally, blew up in her face. To make matters worse, the explosion punctured the ship below the waterline, causing it to start sinking. At Cream's suggestion, Marine ordered her crew to abandon ship while they used the Ocean Tornado to ram the pirate ship before boarding them to join Blaze. As they closed in, however, Captain Metal's ship brought a laser cannon to bear and fired at the Ocean Tornado, utterly destroying it.
Marine and her new friends from Mobius were able to survive the destruction of the ship by hiding in a chest, but it quickly began to sink. Luckily, help arrived in the form of a pod of Dolphins, who carried the four to Pirate Island. There Marine and her friends found additional allies in the form of the Sprockets, who sought to help them in battle due to suffering persecution at the hands of Metal's crew. The expanded force traveled to Metal's fortress, arriving just in time to see Metal unveil his new Egg O' War. Unfortunately, they were spotted by the pirates during their attempt to free Blaze, and Metal ordered his men to feed them to the Kraken. Fortunately, Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear chose that moment to try and steal the Emerald, only to have it stolen from them by Johnny. This provided enough of a distraction for Marine and her friends to escape and seize the Metal Marauder, which Marine considered fair play considering Metal's destruction of her own vessel. Much to her annoyance, her claim for captaincy was contested by Bean, but he and Bark became unlikely allies in the battle with the Kraken and Whisker's pirates. Unfortunately, the conflict allowed Captain Metal to reclaim the Sol Emerald for himself.
While Blaze confronted Captain Metal, Marine and friends continued to fight Whisker's crew, only to lose yet another ship as the pirates fled with a parting shot that put a hole in the Marauder. Fortunately, they were able to secure another vessel: Captain Metal's submarine, which Marine remained with while Amy and Cream went to help Blaze. She, Bark, and Bean watched as Burning Blaze brought down the Egg O' War, and she and Blaze later bid farewell to their allies as the Sol Emeralds' power sent them back to Sonic's World.
Brash and overconfident, Marine is rather scatterbrained and so often acts before she thinks. She is relatively bossy and attention-seeking, which sometimes leads to her being somewhat pushy, though she generally means well. She also has a habit of exaggerating and embellishing, often to make herself seem more important or talented; due to this, she tends to strike others as annoying.
Powers and abilities
Marine has some general captaining skills, able to handle a large boat like the Ocean Tornado; she also has limited knowledge of mechanics. Additionally, Marine have some form of energy-projecting ability.
- Marine often uses the word "strewth" in her sentences. In the real world in British English, "strewth" means "God's truth". In Australia and New Zealand it can also be used as an expression of surprise, or to add emphasis. Writer Ian Flynn admitted he had assumed the word in Australia had the meaning "truth" similar to in England. This mistake was made again in the letters page of Sonic Universe #4 where the editor said that strewth meant "and that's the truth!"
- Ian Flynn has said previously that he "hate[s] Marine with a burning passion", but admits that she is fun to write and includes her occasionally for the sake of the story. However, it is worth noting that most of the other characters she interacts with tend to find her annoying as well.
- ↑ Sonic Universe #55, "Pirate Plunder Panic Part One"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #56, "Pirate Plunder Panic Part Two"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #57, "Pirate Plunder Panic Part Three"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #58, "Pirate Plunder Panic The Conclusion"
- ↑ Ask Ian for AUG/SEP '08 - Did You Miss It?. Bumbleking Comics (28 September 2008). Retrieved on 6 May 2015.
- Marine the Raccoon at Mobius Encyclopedia, the Archie Sonic wiki