Materials is a term used to describe substances that are native to Sol Dimension and which are useful in constructing naval vessels, buildings and other forms of constructions.
They play a prominent role in Sonic Rush Adventure where Tails, with a book provided to him by Marine the Raccoon, learns of a technology that involves combining Materials, such as metals and jewels, to create boats, which are needed for them to explore the sea. Over the course of the game, as Sonic the Hedgehog and Blaze the Cat gather more Materials from the different islands, Tails is able to create bigger, stronger and more complex boats, and after getting the hang of the technology, he can build things such as radio antennas.
In gameplay, after clearing an act or defeating a boss, the player is rewarded with Materials that can be found in that area, with the amount of the said Material being based on the Rank. The known Materials are most prominent at these or similar locations:
- Blue Material: - Blue sapphire-like crystals; found at Whale Point and most hidden islands.
- Iron Material: - Large chunks of greyish metal, maybe iron; found at Whale Point and most hidden islands.
- Green Material: - Green rocks, probably originating from plants, with spiral patterns; found in Plant Kingdom.
- Bronze Material: - Rusty bolt-shaped metal parts; found in Machine Labyrinth.
- Red Material: - Red spiked shards of crystalline coral growing on rocks; found in Coral Cave.
- Silver Material: - Shield-shaped ingots with electromagnetic properties; found in Haunted Ship.
- Aqua Material: - Spiky chunks of cyan frozen ice; found in Blizzard Peaks.
- Gold Material: - Nuggets of gold-like substance; found in Sky Babylon.
- Black Materials: - Orbs of a mysterious black substance. They are similar in appearance to cannonballs. Useful for upgrading ships; found at Pirates' Island and Big Swell.