Mazuri (Savannah Citadel) is the African-based environment in the game Sonic Unleashed, also known as Clay Castle (クレイ・キャｯスル Kurei Kyassuru?) in the Japanese version. It is based on Africa due to its wildlife environment and animals that live in Africa appear on Mazuri.
The level is an exaggerated mixture of certain places and aspects from Africa. For example: the sandy buildings of Timbuktu, Mali, the savannas of Africa, and the big baobab trees from Madagascar. The large buildings of sand and mud are actually large representations of mosques (Islamic places of worship). One in particular that Sonic comes across is surprisingly similar to the Djinguereber Mosque.
In the daytime level, Sonic starts off in the savanna, goes into a town with a bunch of sandy citadels, then heads into the jungle. Mazuri is the location where Sonic fights the Egg Beetle. In the mobile version of Sonic Unleashed, Mazuri is where the final boss is fought, a Dark Gaia powered Egg Dragoon.
- The Hunters Home
- The Lookout Tower
- Holy Tree
- Sacred Shrine (As Sonic the Werehog)
- Gwek: The village elder of Mazuri. He has a habit of slipping into tales of his own heroism when in good spirits. These tales grow more exaggerated every year, to the point where he has now punched out entire waves of wayward elephants with one hand tied behind his back. Truth be told, though, Gwek is not all that fond of danger.
- Kwami: A calm and collected man who seems a likely candidate to be the next village elder. He appears to possess some sort of spiritual power, as he can often be spotted murmuring up at the heavens. Kwami's daughter Ana has been the cause of many a headache for him lately.
- Essie: A plucky mother of eight and undeniable whiz in the kitchen who somehow manages to feed her entire family after only a half hour in front of the stove. Essie actually wanted more children, but her husband (who has since passed away) supposedly drew the line at eight.
- Yawa: A rowdy, talkative boy who idolizes Gwek and swallows the elder's tall tales hook, line, and sinker. Not long ago, Yawa journeyed into the savannah to punch out elephants, but got lost. Thankfully, he made it home without incident.
- Kofi: A man who runs a shop in the village. He really ought to have packed up and left by now, but he just couldn't be bothered. Many would call Kofi "unsociable," but he prefers the term "socially challenged."
- Ana: Kwami's daughter, who longs to meet her true love. She believes her prince in shining armor is out there in the world, somewhere. The way she tells it, the two of them will meet, their eyes will lock and they will "Just Know." Reasoning with Ana is like squeezing juice from a rock.
- Kwod: Essie's boy. Every once in a while a child is born in the village with a strange sixth sense and the ability to speak with the unseen. Kwod happens to be one of these.
- Yaya: Essie's youngest daughter, a tyke so bashful she'll take off at so much as a hello. According to Essie, Yaya has always been that way: right after the girl was born, she let out a tiny wail and clammed up a second later like she was embarrassed.
- Hot Dog Vendor: The manager of the "Don Fachio" hot dog mega-franchise's Mazuri location. As the chain's most mysterious man, he knows how to mix up one high-volume, high-energy dog.
In each town across the world, Sonic is able to buy souvenirs, food items and extras (music, videos) using his rings. The Mazuri shop, run by Kofi is called the Treeshade.
- Photo Frame: "A standing frame containing a photo of Mazuri."
- Miniature Flag: "A replica of the national flag of Mazuri."
- Gems: "Beautiful gems that glow in the darkest nights."
- Can be obtained after completing all Mazuri missions with S or A ranks
- Speed Staff: "A magical staff that somehow increases the speed of all beings."
- Can be obtained after collecting all Moon and Sun medals in Mazuri
- Earthenware Pot: "A handmade pot that heats up slowly for a nice, even boil."
- Equine Carving: "A hand-carved souvenir that's also the area's most popular."
- Talismanic Mask: "Local craftwork said to ward off evil."
- This souvenir is bought from Wentos
- Baobab Fruit (40 rings): "Fruit of the baobab. The seeds yield oil, but the taste? Meh."
- Broiled Ibagana (60 rings): "Flame-broiled meat from the fleet-footed ibanga."
- Mellowyam (60 rings): "A staple of the Mazuri diet. Boil it, steam it, eat it up!"
- Caqueo (40 rings): "A pod whose seeds are dried and processed before use."
- Dondora Fruit (30 rings)
- Chili Dog (50 rings): "Sonic's favorite, a jumbo frank slathered with spicy chili."
- Strawberry Cake (60 rings): "A slice of bliss with whipped cream and a strawberry on top."
- Cookie (20 rings): "Cream filling between two crunchy biscuits. Addictive!"
- Grapes (40 rings): "A cluster of sweet, plump grapes. Don't eat the seeds!"
- Apple (30 rings): "One of these a day keeps the blah, blah, you know the rest."
- Scorcher Dog: Complete the Mazuri Hot Dog Vendor's missions.
- In the Wii/PS2 version of the game, this continent only has one level, the Egg Beetle boss.
- In the 360/PS3 version of the game, many levels (including DLC levels) take place or partly take place on a massive tree. If the fight against the Egg Beetle takes place atop this tree as well, then that means that this tree is the location of Mazuri's Temple of Gaia.
- This could be because trees are really the only places to run through Mazuri, otherwise Sonic would be running in the grass, which would be a boring level layout.
- This continent is named after Masuria, a land in Northern Poland.
- The baseline from the day Mazuri act, at the very beginning (It is played with a guitar), has the same accompaniment in Back 2 Back (From the act Water Palace) from Sonic Rush.
|Sonic Unleashed Locations|
|Adabat | Apotos | Chun-Nan | Eggmanland | Empire City | Holoska | Mazuri | Shamar | Spagonia|