|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Archie Comics continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Mechaniloids are a group that appear in the Mega Man comic series, and the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are a type of robot from the year 21XX in Mega Man's World, but less advanced in terms of intelligence than a Reploid. Mechaniloids were created for various functions to assist humans and Reploids. Unfortunately, many of them were corrupted by the same virus that turned many Reploids into Mavericks, and as a result became part of Sigma's forces in his bid to take over the world.
When the Maverick Hunters attacked Sigma's fortress in an effort to destroy him for good, they were challenged by a small army of Mechaniloids. Upon making his escape to the Lost Hex above Sonic's World, Sigma had Dr. Eggman's Badnik producing facilities there reconfigured to produce Mechaniloids instead. Additionally, he began using the Genesis Portals to reach into his future and resurrect some of his more powerful Mechaniloids. He soon had a veritable army ready to confront the heroes, which he placed under the command of the mind-controlled Deadly Six.
The Mechaniloid army-or rather those units capable of flight-proceeded to engage the crew of the Sky Patrol, which included the Freedom Fighters, several Robot Masters, Team Sticks, and the Maverick Hunters. Despite vastly outnumbering the heroes, the aerial force was virtually annihilated within a short time. A number remained active following the Deadly Six's move to take control of the robots aboard the Sky Patrol, prompting Break Man to consider having Knuckles destroy his nuclear power core and unleash an electromagnetic pulse. Others later appeared as Sigma-2's defenders when the Unified Army-joined by allies from various worlds-launched a massive assault against Sigma.
- The Mechaniloids serve as stage enemies and sub-bosses for the Mega Man X series and its spinoffs.
- Curiously, not all Mavericks from the Mega Man X series appeared as part of Sigma's forces, and some of those who were seen did not appear later, such as the Shadow Devil.
- ↑ Sonic Universe #76, "Worlds Unite! Part One: Across Time and Space"
- ↑ Mega Man #50, "Worlds Unite Part Four: Death and Destruction"
- ↑ Sonic Boom #9, "Worlds Unite! Part Six: Fire in the Sky"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: Worlds Unite Battles #1, "Knuckles vs. Break Man"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #275, "Worlds Unite Part Eleven: Killing the Giant"