- For the later robotic version of Knuckles, see Mecha Knuckles.
Metal Knuckles (メタルナックルズ Metaru Nakkuruzu?) is a robotic version of Knuckles who appeared in Sonic R as an unlockable character. It was created by Dr. Robotnik, and its abilities are similar to Knuckles'.
Sonic Channel featured a Japanese profile of Metal Knuckles. Translated, it states,
"As with Sonic, Eggman prepared this secret weapon for the sake of overthrowing Knuckles, considering his existence to be a hindrance. Having the same power plant as Metal Sonic, speed and acceleration power are high, but like Knuckles, this robot can glide from high places."
Appearance requirements: Collect 5 tokens in Reactive Factory in Grand Prix mode and finish better than fourth place to begin a one-on-one match with Metal Knuckles. Win this race and Metal Knuckles will become a possible choice on the character select screen.
- Low turning ability. To turn without losing control, the player must decelerate.
- Due to inertia, traveling on water is possible. Falling in the water may cause Metal Knuckles to become confused.
- From a high place, aim at a shortcut without pausing.
Apperances in other media
Sonic the Comic
In Fleetway Editions' Sonic the Comic, Mecha Knuckles was a new version of the Metallixes loyal only to Robotnik. It made its debut capturing Sonic for the Drakon Empire and then acting as a Prosecutor in Sonic's trial-by-combat. It came very close to killing him, but Tails managed to destroy it by sheer luck. The Metallix was only reused once, as Grimer used it to defeat Sonic so he could discover from him what happened to Robotnik; he then faked things so Sonic wouldn't remember this and instead think he beat Metallix. In its three clashes with Sonic, the Knuckles Metallix has never been defeated. It was once shown that Robotnik had a whole army of them, but they were never shown in use.
- Curiously, while in Sonic R, Knuckles' own shoes are miscolored from his traditional design, Metal Knuckles' shoes are colored correctly.
- Another Knuckles robot appears in Sonic Advance, this one designed to resemble Knuckles moreso than the original.