|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Metal Sonic is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom series. He is the evil robotic duplicate of Sonic the Hedgehog created by Dr. Eggman, and an enemy of Team Sonic. However, he is only used for special occasions, and spends the rest of his time stored in a very secure location.
Metal Sonic was created in the image of Sonic the Hedgehog, and is thus mostly built of blue metal. He has a yellow circular depression in his chest with a black center, mirroring Sonic's peach-colored chest. His head has three metal fins resembling Sonic's quills, and a pair of triangular "ears." Metal Sonic has a muzzle with screws for cheek bones, a pointy nose, shoulder plates, and upper arms, legs, and fingers made out of silvery metal. His palms are black, while the backs of his hands are square yellow plates. His forearms and lower legs are blue metal like his head and torso, and he has red feet with white stripes resembling Sonic's shoes. He has optic sensors with black sclera and red irises which sometimes glow purple.
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Metal Sonic was deployed by Dr. Eggman at Lyric's Tomb in an attempt to defeat Team Sonic, who were pursuing the doctor. As the chase led to the tomb's entrance, Metal Sonic and an army of Destruction Troops cornered the heroes. However, they fled into the tomb and locked Metal out whose attempt to enter was futile.
At Slowpoke Isle, Metal Sonic was summoned by Eggman to attack Lyric the Last Ancient when the latter wanted to end their partnership. However, Lyric took control of Metal and had him drive off his former master. Lyric then upgraded Metal's code and sent him on rampage through a nearby village to obtain a Chaos Crystal. Metal successfully swiped the Crystal from Team Sonic, only to engage them in a fight in which Metal was defeated and lost the Crystal before shutting down. When Eggman recovered Lyric's technopath device though, Metal Sonic reactivated.
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
During one of Dr. Eggman's schemes, Metal Sonic framed Sonic for several thefts across Seaside Island so Sonic would be arrested. When Sonic and Knuckles found him in the East Forest, Metal Sonic took out Knuckles and fought Sonic, eventually using Eggman's Particle Accelerator against him. However, Metal Sonic was defeated when Sonic made the Particle Accelerator blow him up. Earl then brought the inert Metal Sonic to the authorities in time to clear Sonic's name, where Eggman quickly took him back.
Brought to an alternate dimension that Dr. Eggman was hiding from Shadow in, Metal Sonic had Team Sonic and Shadow's moves downloaded into him so he could defeat them. When Sonic and Shadow tracked Eggman down, Metal Sonic and the doctor engaged the hedgehogs in battle. Eventually, the four crossed back into their home dimension, where Metal Sonic gained the upper hand by knocking Shadow away. However, Sonic's team came to Sonic's aid, and by working together, Team Sonic managed to defeat Metal Sonic. During the confusion however, Eggman and his alternate-dimension counterpart, Lord Eggman, got taken to a secret place by Shadow. To find the Eggmen before their presence in the Sonic Boom World brought about an abnormality that would destroy the universe, Tails repaired Metal Sonic so they could use his Eggman-homing beacon to find Eggman. After Metal Sonic took off, Sonic would follow him to the Eggmen and save the universe.
Metal Sonic is best surmised as another mindless creation of Dr. Eggman's, displaying little to nothing in terms of personality. Single-minded, silent and unquestionably loyal to the master his programming dictates, Metal Sonic is unwaveringly dedicated to his orders and prosecutes them with cold and merciless efficiency. This has lead him to destroy entire villages without a second thought. Despite this, he is capable of some degree of emotion, showing a cold outrage at losing Team Sonic when they escaped into Lyric's Tomb and striking a victorious pose when he thought he took down Sonic. He is also quite intelligent for an Eggman robot, such as following Team Sonic to the Verdant Crystal rather than looking for it himself and using the Particle Accelerator when he found himself losing to Sonic.
Powers and abilities
Metal Sonic is easily one of Dr. Eggman's most powerful creations, capable of destroying an entire village in a manner of minutes and going toe-to-toe with most of Team Sonic. Metal Sonic can also fight both Sonic and Shadow at the same time without any trouble.
Metal Sonic is equipped with a built-in jet engine which allows him to achieve flight and move at speeds equaling Sonic's; he can even boost at such velocities that he can make the ground explode in his wake. He has formidable strength and durability as well, landing punches hard enough to create shockwaves that can knock several people off their feet, and taking Knuckles' strikes head-on without flinching the slightest. By copying data from his opponents, Metal Sonic can also both flawlessly replicate his opponents' fighting skills and techniques, and predict his opponents' attacks.
Metal Sonic can shoot various laser beams from his torso which pack enough power to destroy constructions several times his size and blow a large hole in a mountainside. This includes concussive beams which can knock even Knuckles out despite the latter's extreme tolerance for pain, and heat lasers which can cleave a whole house in half. Metal Sonic can as well perform the spin attack, where he curls tightly into a concussive ball. In this stance, Metal Sonic can damage, destroy and mow down obstacles or foes when in motion.
As an Eggman robot, Metal Sonic is also able to receive power remotely from Eggman's lair. Unlike most of the other robots however, Metal Sonic is equipped with batteries which makes him independent of a steady power flow.
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Team Sonic
- Lyric the Last Ancient
- Metal Sonic's nickname "Metal" is the same name the main characters in Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie used for Hyper Metal Sonic for the majority of the film.
- Metal Sonic's appearance in the Sonic Boom franchise was first officially hinted to the public as one of two "fan-favorite" characters, along with Shadow the Hedgehog, to appear in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.
- The reason why Metal Sonic did not appear during "Robots From The Sky Part 1-4" was because he was stored in a secure location.
- Metal Sonic's design for the Sonic Boom series does not drastically differ from his main series counterpart.
- ↑ Kellie (14 August 2014). New Trailer, Screenshots, and Concept Art for Sonic Boom. Retrieved on 14 August 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “John Guerra: You know, why DIDN'T Metal Sonic show up as part of the Hypnotized bots anyways? / Alan Denton: Metal is stored very securely and only to be used for special occasions.”
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Harrison, Reid (19 September 2015). "It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 44. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (11 November 2017). "Eggman: The Video Game Part 2: The End of the World". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 104. Boomerang.
- ↑ Raut-Sieuzac, Natalys (4 March 2017). "Blackout". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 69. Boomerang.
- ↑ Whitehead, Thomas (13 August 2015). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric Set to Add "Two Fan Favourite Characters". Nintendolife. Retrieved on 3 July 2014.