Metal Sonic Kai (メタルソニック改 Metaru Sonikku Kai?), also sometimes called Mega Metal Sonic, Emperor Metallix, Project: Chaotix, and Super Metal Sonic (although the Super prefix is generally misleading), is the final boss of Knuckles' Chaotix.
Metal Sonic Kai is a huge, red version of Metal Sonic, with a slightly elongated, cat-like face.
After losing to the player, Metal Sonic comes to Dr. Robotnik. With his Special Ring, the Doctor motions Metal Sonic and escapes. Suddenly, through an apparent transformation that occurred off-screen due to the power of the Special Ring (although this is unconfirmed), Metal Sonic reappears as a huge, red, cat-like mechanical being, and the character (whichever the player chooses) and his partner fall into a square room with ten rings in hand to fight Metal Sonic Kai.
Regardless, it must be defeated in phases because of its large size. During the first section, hit the body eight times to destroy the left hand and Metal will go into the background and attempt to hit the player with his right hand. After another eight hits, his right hand will be destroyed and the robot will go to the left of the arena and will fire a huge laser, which can be dodged by ducking. After eight hits, the robot will be defeated and if the player has all six Chaos Rings, the good ending will play with the Rings disappearing and Sonic and Tails appearing in the Tornado behind the Chaotix (Sonic and Tails' only appearance in the game). If the player fails to collect the Chaos Rings, Metal Sonic Kai will appear overlooking a city burning in flames (possibly Newtrogic High Zone).
Appearance in Other MediaEdit
- Main Article: Titan Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic Kai appears as a conclusive transformation of Metal Sonic, in the Knuckles' Chaotix special from Archie Comics. He is defeated by a similarly transformed Knuckles, who used a Power Gem to defeat him since the Chaos Rings were completely absent in the comic.Metal Sonic Kai's second appearance was under the name of Titan Metal Sonic. It was an upgrade of Metal Sonic v3.0. It was launched by the Death Egg Mark 2 to destroy New Mobotropolis. It was defeated by Ixis Naugus, who use his Ixis Magicks to turn the robot into a Crystal Golem. Naugus then used the Golem to block a blast from the Death Egg's annihilator beam, destroying the robot in the process (StH #231).
Titan Metal Sonic was seen being rebuilt during Snivley's escape. This model was later completed and fused with the Krudzu to combat Team Fighters. It was defeated when the team all attacked it at once, sending it into the ocean.
Sonic the ComicEdit
Metal Sonic Kai was thoroughly re-imagined in the series Sonic the Comic, and replaced by Emperor Metallix. Both were large, red versions of Metal Sonic (called Metallix in this continuity), but Emperor Metallix was a separate unit rather than a transformation. He was the leader of the Brotherhood of Metallix.
- In Japanese, the Kanji of "Kai" used in this case (改) translates to "revised" or modified." His name literally means "Revised Metal Sonic" in English. Kai also means "(World) King", so his name could also mean "World King Metal Sonic" or "Metal Sonic King". Note that the name Metal Sonic Kai also applies to Metal Sonic's appearance in this game, not necessarily the final boss.
- Metal Sonic Kai is apparently Metal Sonic's first super transformation.
- In Sonic Universe 37, Titan Metal Sonic's head can be seen by were Snively and the EggSwats are.
- By hacking into Knuckles' Chaotix, it is possible to find an unused sprite of Metal Sonic Kai's head with several tubes hanging from the "neck". This could have been used as part of his escape sequence should the player fail to collect all the Chaos Rings.