|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
— Mike the Ox, "Just a Guy"
Mike the Ox is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom franchise. He is an anthropomorphic ox and the village buffoon of the Unnamed Village on Seaside Island. He also runs a small shop which doubles as a pet shop and an everyday store.
Mike is a humanoid ox of average height. He has a slightly large and round torso and head, relatively thin arms, a bushy tail with a black tip, and slightly stubby legs. He also has grey fur with pale white skin on his front torso and wide muzzle, a medium-sized black snout, almost cylinder-like ears, a pair of short white horns with black tips, three bangs of hair sticking up on his head, and magenta eyes. For attire, he wears white gloves, a thin yellow neckerchief with flannel patterns, a green rope around his waist with a pouch attached, and green shoes.
In the Archie Comics, Mike has a different color scheme. In this media, he has purple fur, black eyes, peach skin, a yellow neckerchief and belt, and blue and white shoes.
Mike was one of the candidates signing up to be Sonic's new sidekick, but did not make the cut. During a later visit in the Village Center, Mike was visiting the Ice Cream Vendor when he and the villagers were attacked by Anti-fire Bot. Fortunately, he was saved by Team Sonic.
Having sold an umbrella to Dr. Eggman, Mike refused to take it back when the doctor wanted a refund after destroying it, before calling the police. The next day, he met Eggman's lackeys, Orbot and Cubot, at his shop. As he told them to leave, he told them about Eggman. Soon after though, he saw the duo perform a horrible street act. With life going on, Mike found time to visit T.W. Barker's Circus of Wonders for a show. During one day, Mike and the villagers were rounded up by Dr. Eggman when he invaded the island. Just as they were left at the mercy for the Mega though, Mike and the villagers were saved by Knuckles whose serious case of bad luck made the Mega destroy itself when he joined Eggman.
Later on, Mike took some time to go to Meh Burger and see a colossal ball of twine. He was almost caught in a rockslide at the latter, but was saved by Sonic. When Dr. Eggman then sued Sonic for injuring him, Mike became a part of the jury to monitor the trial. However, after Mike and his fellow jurors had deliberated and made a verdict, Eggman was revealed to uninjured, leaving their decision moot. Mike later found Eggman selling his own Eggman's Tomato Sauce which Sonic unwillingly admitted was delicious. Mike brought some cans of the sauce for himself, but a few weeks later, he got attacked by his vacuum cleaner which had been turned into a weapon by Eggman's sauce cans. Fortunately, he was saved when Team Sonic stopped Eggman. Eventually, Mike paid a visit to Meh Burger, only for him and everyone else to be caught in a time loop created by Eggman. Mike would thus relive the same day over and over, without any recollection of this, until the loop was broken. While Mike was in the Village, he and the other residents were attacked by Eggman's rampaging robots when the Lightning Bolt Society deployed them, until Team Sonic and Eggman put it to an end.
Mike was later at Meh Burger where he got sucked into the Battle of the Buns between Chez Amy and Meh Burger. Over the next period, he regularly switched between these establishments, depending on their gimmicks, before settling at Chez Amy until Eggman destroyed it. Sometime later, Mike encountered Swifty the Shrew and was captivated by the hip shrew. Mike thus rooted for Shifty in his race against Sonic, who lost to the shrew and got banished from the Village in accordance to the rules. No sooner though, Mike was betrayed by Swifty when Eggman revealed he was a robot agent of his. However, Sonic came to Mike and the villagers' rescue after being brought back, and got rid of Eggman's forces attacking the Village. While Knuckles served as deputy mayor, Mike came to him to have a number of permits approved, right up until Team Sonic and Eggman stopped Knuckles' reckless usage of power.
When Mike was going see a movie with Knuckles, Sonic came to get Knuckles for a battle. Mike wanted to join them, but Sonic refused since he was "just a guy." Believing Sonic was being insensitive, Mike was insulted (as was the rest of the village), but accepted Sonic's apology after he convinced Sonic to let him join the next fight with Eggman. When it came however, Mike got his leg broken. Regardless, Mike gave Sonic a heads-up on a sneak attack from Eggman when he was handling a sheep stampede, which not only saved Sonic, but also let him herd the sheep in. Mike was then praised as a hero by Sonic for his help, much to his delight.
On New Year's Eve, Mike joined the party in the Village Center where he participated in a conga line. Amidst the celebration, Dr. Eggman used his Slow Motion Machine to slow down time long enough for him to beat Sonic in something before New Year, though Mike did not see Eggman's victory as it happened too fast for him to see it. Mike later saw Eggman having a fit at the post office, but left after Eggman called in Decimator Bot. Back in the Village Center, Mike had a laugh at Tails when he was performing a dating dance, only to run away again when Eggman began an attack which Tails averted.
When Bro-Down Showdown was holding auditions, Mike attended with the Old Monkey. In the end, Mike was selected, but let himself get paired up with Knuckles instead. Due to Mike's impairments and Knuckles' current grudge at Sonic though, the pair got eliminated after the first round. Mike would later follow Comedy Chimp's fan signing and photo shooting, during which Knuckles began a trash can head trend. Mike would thus adore Knuckles and pick up his trend during Knuckles' time of fame. As Mike later joined a tour of Eggman's lair, he was both disappointed to hear Eggman's Particle Accelerator had been stolen and shocked when Sonic was accused of the theft. Mike later came to the Robot Battle Royale to watch the tournament, where he saw Eggman steal Tails' Hypno-bot at the end. He would also make a short appearance at Puppy Con.
When Eggman struck with his new Obliterator Bot, Mike made himself a prominent target by mistake. Fortunately, Team Sonic saved Mike and he saw the heroes receive the Greatest Role Model of All Time Award for their efforts. Mike later showed up to A Rose Without Thorns, a play put on by Team Sonic. Though he applauded the play, a storm broke out after the finale, and Mike took Sonic's offer to take shelter in Amy's House. Some time later, Mike came to see a "school yard fight" (as put by himself) between Knuckles and the new villain Charlie, with Knuckles winning the fight.
Mike was among the villagers who came to the Eggtoberfest, hosted by Dr. Eggman. As Mike began to appreciate Eggman's efforts, he discovered that none of the rides worked and joined an angry mob of villagers who made Eggman make the rides operational. However, Mike and the villagers were soon after attacked by Eggman's army when Eggman grew hostile over their dislike of him. Fortunately, they were saved by Team Sonic.
Mike is described as a "regular Joe." He is has a rather laid-back and easy-going attitude, usually remaining very casual and even lying down near a fight to watch. Normally, Mike is rather unruffled towards others, holding little ill will at Sonic for being insensitive towards him or at Knuckles when he ruined their chances at winning Bro-Down Showdown. In his shop however, he is a strict businessman and has no tolerance for attempts to trick him.
Mike has show a good understanding of responsibility, perfectly accepting the priority of handling Dr. Eggman over his own attention. While Mike likes to take his time, he does display a subtle degree of impatience which comes off as annoying to other people.
As one of the villagers on Seaside Island, Mike does not trust Eggman the slightest under normal circumstances since he is an evil genius who is always destroying his stuff and has poor personal hygiene. He especially holds his own personal distaste of the doctor due to him trying to make him refund an umbrella he broke, which in Mike's opinion was Eggman's most evil scheme yet.
Orbot and Cubot
Knuckles the Echidna
Mike is friends with Knuckles the Echidna. The two seem to get along fine, having met up a couple of times to either hang out or compete together. Unlike most of Team Sonic, Mike does not get frustrated with Knuckles' bothersome nature, and instead chooses to support him, like when they competed in Bro-Down Showdown.
- In Mike's debut in "The Sidekick", his attire, ears and horns were mis-colored grey, presumably due to an animation error. This error has since reappeared in later episodes such as "Hedgehog Day".
- Mike uses a thirty day return policy for the products in his store unless the product is destroyed as revealed in "Dude, Where's My Eggman?".
- It is revealed in "Bro-Down Showdown" that Mike suffers from color blindness.
- Mike has once worked on the Comedy Chimp Show, having dressed up as Sonic for a sketch.
- Mike's character model has been reused for various other background characters in the Sonic Boom television series, such as Mr. Slate and the DangerCo Deadly Equipment Warehouse Worker.
- Over the course of the Sonic Boom television series, Mike has had different English voice actors. According to Bill Freiberger, this is because the developers were still in the development of the characters' voices while the episodes were being produced.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic Boom #5, "Eggtoberfest!"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Moarbes, Charles-Henri (29 August 2015). "Bro-Down Showdown". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 41. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sanzaru Games (September 27, 2016). Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Level/Area: Sonic's Shack. "We All Want to be Sonic: Over the course of Sonic Boom’s first season, Knuckles, Dave, and village buffoon Mike the Ox have all found excuses to dress up like the Blue Blur. And while we appreciate their commitment to the mantra of “gotta go fast,” we wish these three had taken it a little more slowly when it came to the costume design phase."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (24 January 2015). "Dude, Where's My Eggman?". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 10. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Trueheart, Eric (15 November 2014). "Buster". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 4. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Banker, Mark; Lieblich, Doug (8 November 2014). "The Sidekick". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 1. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Banker, Mark; Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (7 February 2015). "Circus of Plunders". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 12. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Polsky, Dave (14 February 2015). "Unlucky Knuckles". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 13. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (28 February 2015). "Aim Low". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 15. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harrison, Reid (14 March 2015). "Don't Judge Me". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 17. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (21 March 2015). "Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 18. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Sellner, Joelle (4 April 2015). "Hedgehog Day". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 20. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reed (16 May 2015). "Eggman Unplugged". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 26. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (13 July 2015). "Chez Amy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 27. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Lieblich, Doug (14 July 2015). "Blue With Envy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 28. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (20 July 2015). "Mayor Knuckles". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 32. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (8 August 2015). "New Year's Retribution". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 38. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Harrison, Reid (22 August 2015). "Tails' Crush". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 40. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (5 September 2015). "Late Night Wars". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 42. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (19 September 2015). "It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 44. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (10 October 2015). "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 47. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harisson, Reid (24 October 2015). "Role Models". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 49. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reid (31 October 2015). "Cabin Fever". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 50. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (7 November 2015). "Counter Productive". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 51. Cartoon Network.