|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Sonic Boom continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Minion is an enemy that appears in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. They are a model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient. Unlike the rest of their kind, the Minions serve as computer operators and tech support, and are unsuited for combat.
The Minions are diminutive humanoid robots about Tails' height with yellow bodies and light blue lines. They have an adjustable cup-shaped torso with three lights on the front and back, and thin black arms and legs with tiny yellow feet, plated forearms and four-fingered hands. They also have flat heads with two wide lenses for eyes, cyan pupils, and a small grill for a mouth. Sometimes, they carry a yellow and dark blue backpack with a large round top.
The Minions were created by Lyric the Last Ancient about a millennium ago where they worked behind the computers in Lyric's Weapon Facility for Lyric's plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. When Lyric got imprisoned before achieving his goal, the Minions were shut down. As a contingency plan however, Lyric left some of them behind to be found so the finders would set him free to learn the Minions' secrets. Following Lyric's release in the present, he reactivated and/or reclaimed all his Minions.
The Minions appear in almost all the regular levels, but are very rare. They are first encountered in the Abandoned Research Facility. Minions are usually in their own in isolated places, though in Lyric's Weapon Facility, they can appear in pairs or group.
In gameplay, instead of attacking, the Minions run around in panic when the player approaches. They can easily be taken out with one attack, though they will eventually fly away on their own if not destroyed. Sometimes, there are Minions which carry backpacks with weapons inside; these kind of Minions are called "Treasure Minions". When they are defeated, they drop a weapon which the player can use against enemies. Additionally, destroying a Minion will make it release up to two Rings.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Minions were subsequently scrapped.
The Minions are essentially mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. That aside, they do display cowardly behavior, running away at the first sign of trouble or danger. Also, their loyalty is only superficial as the Minions are just inanimate machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance shifts as someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Minions are very weak and have no combat abilities. Instead, they are equipped for non-volatile work and have skills in the field of operating computers. They also possess a jetpack each for flight.
- The Minions' name were not directly revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, though those of them that carry items were called "Treasure Minions" in-game. However, their names are listed in an unused biography for the game.
- The Minions are the only model of Destruction Troops who have two eyes.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. “As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends.”
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"