The Mystic Jungle (ミスティックジャングル Misutikku Janguru?) is a location that appears in Sonic Forces. It is a tropical forest filled with ancient ruins that once held one of Dr. Eggman's facilities (until Shadow destroyed it). During the months leading up to Eggman's most successful conquest of the world to date, the doctor began converting the jungle's ruins into a casino. Later on, the Mystic Jungle suffered heavy damage from aerial bombardments by the Eggman Fleet.
The Mystic Jungle serves as the location backdrop for several stages in Sonic Forces.
The Mystic Jungle is a blocky mountain landscape with layered soil, similar to Green Hill. The region is covered in lush tropical trees with round tree crowns, grass and fern-like bushes, and there are both rushing rivers and calm lakes that run between the mountains. Also found here are ancient ruins with glowing yellow runes/murals, most of which are overgrown with plants. In terms of fauna, the Mystic Jungle is inhabited by giant and hostile carnivorous snakes that can be up to several miles long. These snakes sleep underground.
Inside the Mystic Jungle was one of Dr. Eggman's facilities. The entrance to the core laboratory of the facility was marked with a metal hatch in a mountainside.
After Dr. Eggman began occupying the Mystic Jungle, the majority of the local ruins got converted into a huge casino, with numerous neon signs in different shapes and colors having been added to them. Ancient pillars were similarly turned into palm-shaped street lights. Large sections of the Mystic Jungle were later turned into burning infernos by aerial bombardments from the Eggman Fleet.
At some point, Dr. Eggman built one of his many facilities within the Mystic Jungle, whose ruins he began converting into a casino. After discovering the Phantom Ruby, Eggman used the Mystic Jungle facility's core laboratory to conduct analyses on the gemstone. Eggman also ordered his newly-employed band of mercenaries - the Jackal Squad - to guard the facility. In time, the facility produced a number of defective Phantom Ruby prototypes.
After the Mystic Jungle facility completed its analysis of the Phantom Ruby, Shadow the Hedgehog would arrive to tear it down. Having annihilated the Jackal Squad on his way in, Shadow was confronted by the captain of the squad, whom he effortlessly defeated, when he reached the Mystic Jungle laboratory. Deeming the mercenary "worthless", Shadow left and destroyed the facility. Beaten and humiliated, the mercenary yelled into the night, repeatedly claiming that he was not weak.
In Sonic Forces, a number of months after Shadow's invasion of Eggman's facility in the Mystic Jungle, Dr. Eggman and his Eggman Empire managed to conquer over 99% of the world, including Mystic Jungle.
When Eggman sought to destroy the defective Phantom Ruby prototypes, his right-hand man Infinite went to retrieve them from the ruined lab in Mystic Jungle. There, the Eggman Empire ambushed the Resistance troops in Mystic Jungle with aerial bombardments, causing the local wildlife to get riled up and the jungle to be set on fire. At the same time, Infinite fought Silver the Hedgehog, who made him drop a Phantom Ruby prototype without knowing it, at the lab. Before Infinite could finish Silver though, Sonic the Hedgehog arrived and took over for Silver. Although Sonic could not defeat Infinite either, the villain deemed Sonic unworthy of killing, and left.
A while afterward, Tails and Classic Sonic came to Mystic Jungle to look for Sonic. At the same time, the Avatar searched the region for two lifeforms that had been detected near Eggman's lab. On their mission, the Avatar found the Phantom Ruby prototype Infinite had dropped, as well as Tails and Classic Sonic, whom were brought back to the Resistance HQ. In the aftermath, the Resistance managed to liberate Mystic Jungle from the Eggman Empire.
Other game appearances
Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
In Sonic Forces: Speed Battle, Mystic Jungle appears as one of the four main areas in the game, along with Green Hill, Sky Sanctuary, and Ruined City. The tracks that take place in Mystic Jungle are Electric Arbor, Lambent Grove and Tangled Tunnels.
Points of interest
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Forces - Casino Forest Gameplay. YouTube. Sega (26 September 2017). Retrieved on 26 September 2017. “Classic Sonic enters the Casino Forest, ancient ruins currently being converted to a casino by Eggman. But it's not all fun and games as perilous traps line the ancient facades.”
- ↑ Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces (Episode Shadow). Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: Eggman's Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Unbelievable ! He's getting deeper and deeper into the facility! That computer running analysis in the core is invaluable!"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces (Episode Shadow). Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: Eggman's Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Ugh. At least the analysis of the stone was completed yesterday, but... No, I still can't let this facility be destroyed! Is there ANYONE left out there!?"
- ↑ Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces (Episode Shadow). Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: Eggman's Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Rrrrrgh! I went to great pains to get the best mercenaries around and he STILL totally wrecked the Defense Squad! SHADDDOOWWRRRGH!"
- ↑ Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces (Episode Shadow). Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: Eggman's Facility. "Dr. Eggman: We've got an intruder! Shadow has entered the facility! Defense Squad Jackal has already been completely annihilated! All available troops, intercept that blasted hedgehog by any means necessary!"
- ↑ Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: Green Hill: Green Hill. "Infinite: And with that, the disposal of the Phantom Ruby prototypes is complete. / Dr. Eggman: It was a defective model. It could only record the DNA of the one that triggered it. / Infinite: Only a being with my strength of will could ever activate it. / Dr. Eggman: It doesn't matter now with the lab locked down in Mystic Jungle."
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces (Episode Shadow). Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: World Map. "Infinite: I am Infinite. You say you do not known me, and yet I remember you so very well. To you, it was simply another in a long lost of Eggman bases you tore down without a second thought."