- For other uses, Mystic Ruins (disambiguation).
The Mystic Ruins (ミスティックルーイン Misutikku Rūin?, lit. "Mystic Ruin") is a location in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Although it is situated on the surface of Sonic's homeworld, it is closely connected to Angel Island since it is the ancient homeland of the Knuckles Clan. In modern day, the Mystic Ruins is a swampy, overgrown rainforest.
Four thousand years prior to the main events of the Sonic series, the Knuckles Clan echidnas ruled a city on the site of what would become Mystic Ruins. The Clan chieftain, Pachacamac, attempted to remove the Chaos Emeralds from the ancient Chao shrine on the outskirts of the city. This angered their guardian, Chaos, who destroyed almost the entire Knuckles Clan civilization in vengeance. The Chaos Energy backlash from Chaos' attack lifted the Emerald Shrine (along with a vast chunk of land) out of the ground: producing Angel Island. The few surviving Knuckles Clan Echidnas, stranded on this floating landmass, went into terminal decline–Knuckles himself being the last descendant of this once-great civilization.
Some remnants of the echidna city remained on the surface, where they were gradually overrun by the encroaching jungle flora. It is this swampy, ruin-studded rainforest which forms the modern-day Mystic Ruins.
The Mystic Ruins first appeared in Sonic Adventure. In this game, a group of archaeologists have gone to the Mystic Ruins to explore those ruins of the Knuckles Clan's city which remained on the planet's surface. Unfortunately, they were not prepared for the crash landing of Angel Island. Some of the archaeologists have gotten themselves lost in the maze of the thick jungle that surrounds the Shrine of Knuckles's race, while the others who had stayed behind, near the Mystic Ruins Train Station, built a log cabin to make camp. The archaeologists who built camp are constantly worried about their friends but are to afraid to go in the jungle to find them. If Sonic and his friends find any of the archaeologists that are lost in the forest they will state that they cannot find the ancient shrine or their way out, they however kindly refuse the help of the heroes saying it would not be very adventurous.
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, the Mystic Ruins again features as a game area, although the characters visit a more swamp-like section than those seen in Sonic Adventure. Mystic Ruins is home to many wild animals, such as Queen Wasps, Giant Millipedes and Colossal Worms. Toxic, malodorous gases are emitted into the air by the Nocturnus Clan's forces, in a bid to clear the area of G.U.N. soldiers. The gas is only passable by Big the Cat.
In Sonic Forces, after getting the Phantom Ruby, Dr. Eggman tested its power on Angel Island, seemingly restoring Pachacamac's village to what it looked like thousands of years ago. When Knuckles and Silver noticed the village, Silver saw something rise from the Master Emerald. Knuckles told him that it was just Chaos, and that it was harmless. Much to the contrary though, Chaos proceeded to punch Knuckles, prompting the echidna and Silver to battle Chaos. When Silver caught Chaos in his telekinesis while Knuckles delivered the final blow however, Chaos suddenly disappeared, along with Pachacamac's village, leaving Knuckles bewildered.
Points of interest
- Altar of the Emeralds (removed)
- Angel Island (temporarily)
- Mystic Ruins Garden
- Mystic Ruins Jungle Area/Station Area
- Mystic Ruins Station Area/Jungle
- Windy Valley
- Sand Hill
In other media
Knowing the transportation of Angel Island to Earth, the President's advisors plan to turn Mystic Ruins into a tourist attraction in order to boost the economy. Mystic Ruins was seen in "A Chaotic Day". Knuckles finds the police in Casinopolis, and a policeman says it was a glowing object that fell from the sky, Knuckles and the police go inside and look, and find a piece of the Master Emerald. Knuckles picks the Chaos Emerald up, but is transported to a version of Mystic Ruins 4000 years ago. Knuckles walks around and finds a echidna named Tikal with her father, Pachacamac. Tikal begs her father not to seize the Chaos Emeralds, but as her father ignores her, Chaos absorbs the power of the Emeralds' to destroy Pachacamac and his clan, which is their punishment.
- ↑ See the various cutscenes in Sonic Adventure for the full story.
- ↑ Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Codex entry for Angel Island.
- ↑ With the Knuckles Clan devastated, the Nocturnus Clan was then able to flourish. However, their civilization was later pulled into the Twilight Cage, in an (apparently) unrelated disaster.
- ↑ Sonic Forces: Stress Test
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 In-game map of the Mystic Ruins Jungle Area from Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Mystic Ruins. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 19 July 2016.
- ↑ Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Mystic Ruins. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 20 July 2016.
- ↑ Stratton, Bryan (17 June 2003). "Knuckles The Echidna's Adventure Fields and Action Stages". Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut: Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Prima Games. p. 76. ISBN 978-0761542865.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 In-game map of the Mystic Ruins Station Area from Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 Sonic Adventure Online. Map: Mystic Ruins. Sonic Team. Retrieved on 19 July 2016.