|This article is about a subject in the real world.|
Information in this article is about real-life people, companies, and objects, and does not relate to the in-universe Sonic series.
Naoto Ōshima (大島 直人 Ōshima Naoto?, born 26 January 1964) is a Japanese national and former Sega employee who designed the characters of Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Eggman (Doctor Robotnik). However, Yuji Naka often gets the credit for his work on the Sonic series, because of his close association with the Sonic name. Ōshima gained renown at Sega's Sonic Team for creating characters and playing integral roles in the development of games like Phantasy Star, Sonic the Hedgehog CD, NiGHTS into Dreams..., and Sonic Adventure.
After leaving Sonic Team, he formed an independent game company called Artoon, and later Arzest, of which he is currently president. There he went on to work on such games as Pinobee, Blinx: The Time Sweeper, and in 2004, Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space.
He is occasionally credited under the nickname "Big Island", which is a literal translation of his family name.
- Kujakuo (1988) - Designer
- Phantasy Star (1988) — Design
- Phantasy Star II (1989) — Design
- Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) — Character Design
- Fatal Labyrinth (1991) — Designer
- Sonic Eraser (1991) — Special Thanks
- Sonic CD (1993)— Director
- SegaSonic the Hedgehog (1993) - Special Thanks
- Knuckles' Chaotix (1995) — Original Character Concept
- Hyper Athlete (1996) — 3D Background, Camera Work
- Sonic 3D Blast (1996) — Advisor
- NiGHTS into Dreams... (1996) — Director, Visual Designer, Character Designer
- Christmas Nights (1996) - Director, Visual Designer
- Sonic R (1997) — Graphic Advisor
- Sonic Jam (1997) — Supervisor
- Burning Rangers (1998) — Director
- Sonic Adventure (1999) — CG Movie Producer
- Silent Hill (1999) — Effect Programmer
- Kessen (2000) — Special Thanks, Sound
- Pinobee: Wings of Adventure (2001) — Director
- Blinx: The Time Sweeper (2002) — Director
- Silent Hill 3 (2003) — Effect Programmer
- Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space (2004) — Director
- Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (2004) - Producer
- Yoshi's Island DS (2006) — Producer
- Blue Dragon (2006) - Executive Producer
- Lost Odyssey (2007) - Special Thanks
- Away: Shuffle Dungeon (2008) - Character Designer
- Sonic Generations (2011) - Special Thanks
- The Super Sonic code in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4, 1, 2, 6) contains Naoto Oshima's birthday January 26, 1964.
- Naoto Ōshima at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia