Neo Metal Sonic (ネオメタルソニック Neo Metaru Sonikku?) is one of Metal Sonic's transformations seen in Sonic Heroes. He takes this form throughout most of the game in which he uses to disguise himself as Dr. Eggman and to copy the data of whom he fought against in order to make himself more powerful.
Neo Metal Sonic shares some distinctive traits with his normal form, such as black eyes with red irises, similar torso with rocket engine and the primary blue color with red shoes, but has number of differences too. His head has five long quills as opposed to his regular three, with white stripes and markings around his eyes, similar to that of Shadow's. The yellow color in his ears has been replaced with red and his nose is now black.
He has also possess more pronounced body armor, with black and curved shoulder plates, larger gauntlets and leg armor with pointy knee caps that has white outlines, a plate covering his pelvis and elf-like shoes. He also sports a spiky belt with a black cape that protrudes out of the back of his waist.
It is unknown how Metal Sonic achieved his Neo Metal Sonic form. Eitherway, Eggman knew of his ability to become Metal Madness because after Neo Metal Sonic's change into Metal Madness, he said, "Metal Sonic has finally transformed!"
As a result of Metal Sonic several defeats to Sonic the Hedgehog, the metallic hedgehog decided to defeat Sonic on his own and eventually conquer the world himself. To this end, Metal Sonic betrayed Dr. Eggman, took control of the Eggman Empire and began seeking out the data needed for him to transform into Metal Overlord. Somewhere around this time, Metal Sonic assumed the form of Neo Metal Sonic.
To get the data he needed, Neo Metal Sonic elaborated a plan where he would send Team Sonic on a wild goose-chase to destroy "Dr. Eggman's" newest weapon. Then, by using his form's shapeshift-abilities, Neo Metal Sonic masqueraded as a robotic Dr. Eggman and fought Team Sonic on various occasions while copying their data without them knowing. At some point, Neo Metal Sonic used his shapeshifting abilities to pass as the real Sonic, and kidnapped Froggy and Chocola in order to obtain their data on Chaos.
While Neo Metal Sonic only intended to involve Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark and Team Chaotix entered the conflict as well. This proved however to work in the favor of Neo Metal Sonic, as he continuously faced the teams while masquerading as Dr. Eggman, and began copying their data as well, making himself even more powerful than he planned to.
At the time Team Sonic and Team Dark defeated the Egg Albatross, Neo Metal Sonic had successfully copied Team Sonic's and Shadow's data, and when Team Rose defeated Neo Metal Sonic in the Egg Emperor, he had copied Chaos' data as well, and released Froggy and Chocola from captivity.
With all the data he needed, Neo Metal Sonic revealed himself to the heroes and destroyed the Final Fortress' tower before using the debris to transform into Metal Madness and later Metal Overlord. However, he was later defeated by Team Super Sonic and reverted to Neo Metal Sonic, and then back to his original form.
Powers and abilities
Neo Metal Sonic is, like his normal form, able to scan the life data of other life forms, allowing him to copy and replicate others' attributes and abilities flawlessly. Due to his actions throughout Sonic Heroes, it can be assumed that, by the beginning of the last story in the game, he possessed the abilities of all the teams, plus those of Chaos itself.
Neo Metal Sonic has the power to shapeshift, allowing him to change his appearance and body structure. When shapeshifting, he turns into a puddle of liquid metal and then emerges in a new form. This allows him not only to perfectly imitate the appearance of organic creatures, but also the appearance of robots as well, such as fake Dr. Eggman robot copies, though Tails could tell it was not an Eggman robot. He can also safely contain creatures such as Froggy and Chocola inside of himself until he had copied Chaos' data.
As demonstrated when he first revealed himself, Neo Metal Sonic can create lightning bolts from his hands, launch them into the sky and then bring it back down with enough power to blow up the Final Fortress' largest tower. He can also manipulate outside elements through unknown means to rebuild himself, such as when he used the debris of the destroyed Final Fortress tower to rebuild himself into Metal Madness.
Neo Metal Sonic briefly assumed this form when he tried to transform into Metal Overlord. During this time, he fought Team Rose, Team Dark and Team Chaotix, before he finally transformed in Metal Overlord.
After completing his transformation as Metal Madness, Metal Madness grows a pair of mechanical wings on his lower body, becoming Metal Overlord. In this form, Metal Overlord is nearly invulnerable and is powerful enough to fight on par with Super Sonic, Knuckles and Tails where the latter two have been granted Super Shields. He is capable of flight and is strong enough to throw entire battleships. As Metal Overlord, he can fire a barrage of crystal pillars from his torso, launch the spikes on his back as homing missiles, fire crystal encagíng missiles, and perform Chaos Control.
After Metal Overlord had finished his transformation, he flew into the skies, but was pursued by Team Super Sonic. Despite his overwhelming power Metal Overlord was defeated by Team Super Sonic and reverted to Neo Metal Sonic, and then his original form.
Appearances in other Media
An army of robots resembling Neo Metal Sonic appeared in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-offs, published by Archie Comics. These robots were created by Sir Charles Hedgehog and Rotor to serve as protectors of Knothole after Sonic was lost in the battle with the Xorda. While they were never activated by their creators when Sonic returned, A.D.A.M. managed to assume control of them and send them on a rampage against Knothole and Dr. Eggman. The entire army was destroyed however, when Shadow the Hedgehog used Chaos Control.
- "All life form data... successfully copied." - After Team Sonic runs to Eggman's air fleet.
- "Ultimate life form data... has been copied." - After Team Dark runs from Egg Albatross.
- "Chaos data... has been copied." - After Team Rose reunites with Chocola Chao and Froggy.
- "All living things kneel before your master!" - Before Neo Metal Sonic strikes an energy bolt to transform himself.
- "It's no use... but why can't I defeat you?" - Neo Metal Sonic's final words before he deactivates.
- Neo Metal Sonic's design was created by Kazuyuki Hoshino, the original designer of Metal Sonic.
- In Sonic Heroes, in the Hang Castle level, when the player looks at the Eggman statue upside-down, he can see Neo Metal Sonic, giving him away as the main villain.
- Another hint is in Team Dark's Egg Hawk level. When "Eggman" saw Omega, he said, "You must be Omega...".
- And when Team Chaotix is about to fight the Robot Storm, Vector refers to "Eggman" as a "mustached moron", their "mysterious client" becomes enraged and says "I'm the world's greatest..." before catching himself and telling the Chaotix to defeat him.
- Neo Metal Sonic deeply resembles Rocket Metal Sonic from Sonic the Fighters.
- The only game that featured Neo Metal Sonic's name was Sonic Rivals. He was a collectible card.
- Despite Neo Metal Sonic's large role (albeit behind the scenes) in Sonic Heroes, the player never actually fights him in this form.
- Neo Metal Sonic is perhaps the least depicted villain in the series. The player does not get an especially good look at him in Sonic Heroes, and he has not appeared since.
- However, the Metal Sonic Troopers give an almost clear look at Neo Metal Sonic.
- Metal Madness's (Neo's second form) name may have been based on Metallic Madness, which is the final level of Metal Sonic's debut game, Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- The Metal Sonic Troopers of the Archie comics are almost identical to Neo Metal Sonic. However, as Neo Metal Sonic seems to be more powerful than regular Metal Sonic, the Metal Sonic Troopers are less powerful than him, as Sonic is able to battle multiple Troopers at once, but can be defeated by one Metal Sonic.
- It is a common misconception that Neo Metal Sonic got his shapeshifting abilities from Chaos' data. In truth, however, his shapeshifting ability is one of his own, as he was able to turn into Sonic when he kidnapped Froggy and Chocola, prior to copying Chaos' data.
- Neo Metal Sonic's shapeshifting ability is similar to the liquid-metal shapeshifting ability of the T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgement Day.