"New Year's Retribution" is the thirty-eighth episode in the Sonic Boom television series. It first aired on 3 June 2015 in France and on 8 August 2015 in the United States.
While the rest of the village is celebrating New Year's Eve, Eggman decides to slow down time in order to complete his previous resolution of defeating Sonic... somehow.
- Admiral Beaverton
- Bee Bot (multiple)
- Ball Bot (x4) (First appearance)
- Child Monkey
- Comedy Chimp
- Dave the Intern
- Diane Aardvark
- Dr. Eggman
- Eggman Sr. (Mentioned)
- Fastidious Beaver
- Lady Goat
- Lady Walrus
- Leroy the Turtle
- Mayor Fink
- Mike the Ox
- Mrs. Vandersnout
- Professor Cluckins
- Soar the Eagle
- Team Sonic
- T.W. Barker
- Walrus Camera Man
- Walrus Male
- Wild Cat
- Sonic Boom World
At the beginning of the episode, Team Sonic is busy decorating the Village Center for a New Year's Eve party. Tails tries to shoot decorations out of a bazooka, but it fails. When Dr. Eggman attacks with his Ball Bots, they are easily taken care of, and the decorations are all set up. Meanwhile, at Eggman's lair, the doctor is sad that he has yet to fulfill his New Year's resolution from last year of beating Sonic at least once this year, and Orbot and Cubot suggest a game of checkers to cheer him up. That night, the village party has started, and the people are dancing and having a good time while Soar the Eagle and Comedy Chimp interview the attendees. Back at the lair, Eggman quits the checkers game in frustration when Orbot brings out some pot roast made in a slow cooker. Eggman then has the idea to slow down time with a Slow Motion Machine made from the slow cooker's technology, so he can finally beat Sonic before the new year.
Shortly before the New Year's ball drops, Eggman arrives in the village and uses his Slow Motion Machine. He is able to slow down time, but while everyone else is moving in slow motion, Sonic walks normally as his superspeed movements and senses allows him to do so despite time being slowed down. Eggman tries to attack Sonic using laser beams and his robots but both are affected by the slow-motion effect as well. Sonic then suggests they compete in games such as dominoes, hopscotch, and chess. Sonic wins all of the events, including checkers at the end. The countdown is almost over, and after hearing Eggman's frustration at not getting one decisive victory over him, Sonic gives him one last shot with a dance-off. Both of them do a great job, but on Sonic's second attempt, he lets himself crash into some boxes. Sonic congratulates Eggman for finally beating him, and as Eggman returns time to normal to gloat, the New Year begins. Eggman tries to convince everyone that he beat Sonic, but the hedgehog points out that nobody really saw it because it all happened in the blink of an eye. Both Sonic and Eggman tell each other "Happy New Year", and then watch the fireworks together.
- In the scene where Soar the Eagle is reporting on the party, Diane Aardvark is missing her skirt.
- Before the scene when Eggman and Sonic were about to play dominoes, Soar the Eagle was seen in the background with his headphones from the episode "Aim Low". When Sonic won, he was then seen without his headphones in the background.
Title in other languages
|Chinese||新年礼物||New Year Gift|
|Finnish||Uuden vuoden rangaistus||New year's punishment|
|French||La bonne resolution||The Good Resolution|
|Hungarian||Az Újévi fogadalom||New Year's resolution|
|Italian||Tutto in un minuto||All in a minute|
|Japanese||大みそかの勝負||New Year’s Eve|
|Korean||새해맞이 축제||New Year's Festival|
|Polish||Noworoczne postanowienie||New Year's resolution|
|Romanian||Răzbunarea de anul nou||Revenge of the New Year|
|Russian||Новогодний реванш||New Year rematch|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Venganza de Año Nuevo||New Year's Revenge|
|Ukrainian||Новорічна розплата||New Year's Eve|
- The title of this episode is based on the phrase "New Year's Resolution".
- During the episode, Knuckles makes various references to several real-world holidays. He mentions Easter, Halloween, Christmas and Groundhog Day, in that order.
- However, in the Polish version Knuckles mentions Drowning of Marzanna instead of Groundhog Day.
- Sonic's dancing moves during his and Eggman's dance-off are reminiscent of breakdancing. This might be a reference to his main series counterpart who has been known to be a practitioner of breakdancing.
- This episode aired in France as the thirty-sixth episode in the series.
- Knuckles mentions Santa Claus sneaking into his house even though he is a wanderer who lives in nature.