|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
Nightmare is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. Nightmare is a type of Dark Gaia Creature, often one of the more common types, that were formed by Dark Gaia during the nighttime.
The Nightmares resemble chameleon-like beings with thick arms, spiked backs and a small horn at the front. They have purple smoke emitting from their backs. They have cyan-hued black-colored skin with glowing purple markings on their bodies.
Shattered World Crisis
Nightmares were formed by Dark Gaia shortly after the planet broke apart at the dawn of the Shattered World Crisis. Several Nightmares would be seen with other Dark Gaia Creatures during the nighttime, fighting off against worldwide heroes such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Sally Acorn, and their team, Knuckles the Echidna and the Chaotix, and even terrorizing local cities and villages.
Powers and abilities
The Nightmares are able to move around by either teleporting into an area in a puff of purple smoke, or emerging from black puddles on the ground. The Nightmares have a certain degree of skills and cunning in terms of hand-to-hand combat, being able to fight opponents with combos and guard against attacks with their arms. Compared to other Dark Gaia Creatures, however, Nightmares are essentially cannon fodder and can be beaten easily.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #261, "Waves of Change Part Two: Current Events"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #262, "Waves of Change Part Three: Terror in the Deep"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #263, "Waves of Change Part Four: Divine Waters"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #71, "Spark of Life Part One"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #73, "Spark of Life Part Three"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #74, "Spark of Life Part Four"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #63, "The Great Chaos Caper Part One: On the Hunt"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #260, "Waves of Change Part One: First Ripples"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #272, "A Ray of Hope"