|This article is about a subject in the real world.|
Information in this article is about real-life people, companies, and objects, and does not relate to the in-universe Sonic series.
Early models of the Wii were backward-compatible with all Nintendo GameCube games and accessories. However in late 2011, a reconfigured version of the Nintendo Wii, the "Wii Family Edition" was released. This version removed the Nintendo GameCube compatibility. The same thing applies with the Wii Mini.
Although currently sold in North America, its original model has been discontinued in Europe (along with its Family Edition model) and in Japan since 20 October 2013. As of 20 May 2014, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service has been discontinued for the Wii, and instead replaced by the Nintendo Network for the Wii U.
List of Sonic games on Wii
- Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007)
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (2007)
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
- Sega Superstars Tennis (2008)
- Sonic Unleashed (2008)
- Sonic and the Black Knight (2009)
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (2009)
- Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (2010)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I (2010)
- Sonic Colors (2010)
- Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (2011)
The Virtual Console (often abbreviated as VC) is a section of the Wii Shop Channel that offers titles released on past consoles. Several Sonic the Hedgehog games were released on this service. The Wii was the first console to offer this service, with the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U later adopting the service.
List of Sonic games on Virtual Console
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Sonic Spinball
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- Sonic & Knuckles
A smaller, redesigned model called the Wii Mini is released on 2 December 2013 in Canada, 15 March 2013 in Europe and on 17 November 2013 in the US. Unlike the Wii, it lacks internet connection, Nintendo GameCube backward capabilities, has only one USB Port and some features. The Wii Mini will be sold for at least US/CA$99.99.
Box artwork gallery
- Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the only Sonic game to be released on WiiWare, as its sequel, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II was released on other consoles and not to the Wii due to the WiiWare's hardware constraints.
- According to Yojiro Ogawa, a port of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) was originally going to be released on the Wii. However, due to the differences in hardware, Sonic and the Secret Rings was made instead.
- ↑ http://www.geek.com/games/nintendos-new-wii-console-drops-gamecube-compatibility-bundles-more-games-1413513/
- ↑ http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/time-also-called-on-wii-in-europe/0123162
- ↑ http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/20/nintendo-stops-selling-wii-consoles-in-japan/
- ↑ Nintendo. Service Discontinuation: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service. Retrieved on 22 December 2014.
- ↑ http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/ONIEEqvK1pbPyTbW2lWO6QnPUiqqvuuI
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/99-wii-mini-confirmed-for-u-s/1100-6415943/
- ↑ Nintendo Power March 2007