|This group exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Nocturnus Clan is a group that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-offs. They were the Advanced Science caste of echidnas from Albion and a part of the Second Downunda Colony. When the group settled in Soumerca, they would wage war against the Felidae, and later the Knuckles Clan. However, the Nocturnus Clan would subsequently vanish into the Twilight Cage.
Foundation, War and DisappearanceEdit
Hundreds of years after the Forgotten War, the Advanced Sciences caste in Albion left with the Second Downunda Colony to create a colony and spread Echidna culture. The voyagers eventually arrived in Soumerca where they made their settlement but soon found themselves at odds with the hostile native Felidae.
While most of the colonists chose to leave and settle elsewhere, the Advanced Sciences caste decided to stay behind and fight for their land, officially becoming the Nocturnus Clan, along with the colony's warrior caste, who became the Knuckles Clan. The Nocturnus Clan initially fought back against the Feildae with support from the Knuckles Clan, but shortly after dedicating themselves to the fight, ideological differences cause a rift to opened between the Nocturnus Clan's leader, Imperator Pir'Oth Ix and the Knuckles Clan's leader, Chief Pachacamac, which inevitably ended in Pachacamac declaring war on the Nocturnus Clan as well. A three-way war soon erupted, where Pir'Oth Ix pushed the Nocturnus Clan towards rapid scientific advances.
Eventually, the Nocturnus Clan had grown enough in power to the point where they could have defeated the Knuckles Clan with little effort, but they then mysteriously vanished into the Twilight Cage during the Argus Event under unknown circumstances before they got the chance.
Conquering the Twilight CageEdit
Following their imprisonment in the Twilight Cage, the Nocturnus Clan found themselves surrounded and running afoul by equally conquest-thirsty alien races who had been trapped in the Twilight Cage as well, namely the Zoah, the Kron, the Voxai, and the N'rrgal. Applying their old tactics to their new home, namely by developing more advanced technologies, the Nocturnus Clan launched brutal raids against their neighboring creatures, earning them the nickname "The Marauders" which they eventually took as their own. Not long after their arrival, the Nocturnus Clan managed to conquer the whole dimension, along with the planetoids within it.
When the Dark Legion - members of the Second Downunda Colony - were trapped in the Twilight Cage, the Nocturnus Clan stunned the Dark legion due to their origin and comparatively inferior technology, and considered them not worthy to be conquer by them. As such, the Nocturnus Clan allowed the Dark Legion to roam free of their attacks, though they only tolerated them at a distance. Regardless, the Nocturnus Clan still attacked the Dark Legion in retaliation whenever they made raids on the Nocturnus Clan's teleportation technology.
In the present day, Pir'Oth Ix is research the power of the Twilight Cage itself to gain enough power to transport the entire Nocturnus Clan back to Mobius Prime so they can conquer the planet and the rest of the universe.
Being a scientist caste, the Nocturnus Clan are equipped with very advanced technology, including short-ranged teleporters, energy-draining weapons, advanced armor, as well as a line of highly adaptive and versatile robots known as the Gizoids. Their technology was powerful enough to the point where it allowed the clan to conquer the entire Twilight Cage.
- Originally, the Nocturnus Clan was supposed to make its canon debut in the comics in Sonic the Hedgehog #191's backup story. The story was to take place in Archie canon (featuring Julie-Su, Mighty and Vector along with Knuckles, Shade and two Nocturnus Clan soldiers), but Sega changed plans after it was penciled and inked, requiring the story in its entirety to be re-done in the non-canon adaption that would later be printed in #191 taking place in an alternate reality. Writer Ian Flynn has stated that there is a small possibility the original story will be completed and officially printed. However, due to the Ken Penders lawsuit and settlement prohibiting the use of Julie-Su and possibly even the Nocturnus themselves (as Penders currently intends to sue Sega and EA over Sonic Chronicles), it is extremely unlikely that it will ever see print.
- It was later confirmed by Ian Flynn that the Nocturnus Clan are currently officially off-limits for future use for the aforementioned reason.
- The Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia lists the Nocturnus Clan's first appearance as in Sonic the Hedgehog #191, even though the versions seen in that issue were not from the Prime Zone.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Nocturnus Clan"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic Super Special Magazine #2, "Mobius Timeline Act 7: Knuckles & Nocturnus Clan"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Knuckles Clan"
- ↑ 
- ↑ Ian Flynn (14 November 2010). Bumbleking Store Update 11-14-10. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.