Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Robotnik's refineries are pumping at full steam. Crude oil has turned the ocean black! Can Sonic keep his footing on the slippery catwalks and bursting steam vents?
— Sonic the Hedgehog 2 manual description
The underground passageways of Mystic Cave/Hidden Palace apparently lead out to the sea, for Sonic and Tails now find themselves scaling slimy oil refineries off the coast of West Side Island. In a manner typical of the Doctor's environmental ethos, Robotnik clearly isn't too concerned about keeping the maritime habitats of West Side Island in pristine condition (this keeps with his early-on Archie alter-ego who loves to pollute and destroy natural green environments). His drilling platforms have blanketed the ocean in viscous petroleum sludge; the only creatures that move are robotic ones, Octus and Aquis Badniks floating amidst the steel gantries of the rigs.
The oil does, on the other hand, afford Sonic a means of survival should he fall off the level. While the hedgehog can't swim in water, the gloopy hydrocarbons mean you won't sink as long as you keep jumping. Often, floating fans will provide a means to get back to solid ground.
In addition, the Zone hosts strange green/yellow checkered cannons, which throw Sonic back and forth around the level. Flame-propelled gas-burn platforms also provide a means by which to gain altitude (and access secret monitors on occasion).
In this Zone's boss fight, Robotnik eschews his usual Egg Mobile and attacks via submarine. This oil-faring submersible deploys a variety of weapons, including a spiked harpoon and periscopic laser cannon. It is damaged by attacking the cockpit while it resurfaces.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series and its spin-offs, the Oil Ocean Zone is one of the many Zones on Planet Mobius. Over the series' run, Sonic and Tails came to this Zone twice to stop hazards to the environment that it was on the verge of unleashing, and in both cases Sonic was transformed into the psychotic Super Sonic.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the first incarnation of the Oil Ocean Zone was a refinery called the Oil Ocean Refinery which was a fueling station for the Death Egg Mark 2 and was guarded by the Great Desert Dark Egg Legion. During the "Genesis" story arc, a more faithful presentation of the Oil Ocean Zone appeared.
- The level is also known for a particular bug that causes Sonic's speed to be accelerated and jumping ability to increase, granting him greater speed and jumping ability of Super Sonic or Hyper Sonic (from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles).
- There is also a neat trick that can be done in which if the player executes a Spin Dash in the oil, they can bypass under some of the platforms, although if the player isn't fast enough, Sonic can sink in the oil and die. This shouldn't be abused in Act 2, however, since the oil just ends at a certain point. In the 2013 re-release, a wall has been added to prevent this and in addition the player is unable to perform the Spin Dash while running on the oil.
- The wrecking ball from the original Sonic the Hedgehog can be placed in Debug Mode. In the prototype, it is shown that it was a scrapped gameplay mechanic.
- In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog pilot, a background looks similar to this level.
- In the original Genesis version of the game, a code could be put in to give the player 14 continues, but this stage's BGM will play throughout the entire game.
|Oil Ocean Zone||1:55||Masato Nakamura|