Omochao (オモチャオ Omochao?) is a character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series who first appeared in Sonic Adventure. He is a robotic Chao with virtually unlimited knowledge about the world. A close friend and ally of the Animals and Chao, he is also a television personality, working as both a news reporter and commentator for Extreme Gear competitions.
Since his introduction, Omochao has become a staple in the series as a support character, serving as an informant to the characters and a universal Hint to the players.
Shaped like a Chao, Omochao is small, has stubby limbs, and a large head with a red two-bladed propeller attached on top of his head and a grey wind-up key on his back. He has a blue body and head with orange, ripple-like eyes, although in Chao Races where he is used as a guide his eyes are yellow.
In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Omochao appears in the racing stadium by the door inside the Station Square Garden. He also appears in the Chao Races to show which direction the Chao are supposed to go, even though there is a place where a Chao can disobey directions and take a shortcut.
Sonic Adventure 2
In Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Omochao replaces Tikal's hint orbs from Sonic Adventure as Hints in the Stages. He can as well be picked up and thrown as a weapon to destroy enemies, and be damaged by stray bullets from enemies or the player's own attacks. When thrown into a bottomless pit, Omochao will soon after reappear in his earlier location.
When attacked, picked up, thrown, or put down, Omochao makes remarks. When recovering from being thrown or attacked in particular, Omochao will express his displeasure of such rough treatment. Comically, he may also fall unconscious for several seconds with smoke coming from his injuries, only to wake up to ramble at the player, such as saying that he will not help the player anymore, or ask of who and where he is, due to amnesia. Similarly, Omochao has a distinctive sound when he initiates flight and when getting "hurt".
Outside regular gameplay, Omochao is an unlockable menu theme, and in 2-Player Battle Mode, the Chao Walker's melee attack is an Omochao-based projectile. In a reversed fashion, the Dark Chao Walker's melee attack uses a color-swapped version of the Chao Walker's melee attack.
Sonic Pinball Party
In Sonic Heroes, Omochao serves as the tutorial guide in Sea Gate and the guide for the menu screen. To have Omochao explain a feature on the menu screen, the player has to press / while at said feature.
In Sonic Battle, Omochao himself does not appear, but Cream's C. Air Cracker and Cream Cracker maneuvers utilize an Omochao to set traps for opponents. These moves are some of the strongest in the game in terms of damage.
Sonic Advance 3
In Sonic Advance 3, Omochao again serves as an in-game Hint. He can be found on the Zone Maps, in the Sonic Factory and the Action Stages, where he gives information, if the player stands beside him and presses up on . He also appears during the ending, where he takes a picture of the game's heroes right before the incomplete ending credits.
Shadow the Hedgehog
In Shadow the Hedgehog, there is an unlockable Weapon called the "Omochao Gun" that shoots Omochao heads. These projectiles have a wide range and can bounce off walls. When upgraded, this weapon is capable of destroying most enemies with a single shot, and can take out multiple enemies in a single shot by bouncing off walls.
Sonic Riders series
Sonic Free Riders
In Sonic Free Riders, Omochao is a commentator in Story Mode, covering the latest races for the competing teams during the story by interviewing the participants.
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Rivals 2
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Omochao appears appears alongside Pecky, Cucky, Flicky, Chao and Picky. In the Nintendo DS version's Adventure mode, he can be found in each town and will give hints to the player.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Omachao serves as a reporter if you achieved a new record
In the console/PC version of Sonic Generations, Omochao again fills the role of in-game Hints in the Stages. In this game, he acts exactly like Tikal's Hint Orbs in Sonic Adventure, acting upon being passed by and will float around the player. This function is only optional though, and he can be turned on and off from the game's Options menu. Similarly, Omachao appears on the loading screen for the Acts to remind players of controls, objects and other features. He also runs the Skill Shop in the White Space.
In the Stages, Omochao uses the exact same sounds from Sonic Adventure 2 when flying or getting hurt. However, since he cannot get harmed like in Sonic Adventure 2, his "hurt" sound is played when he flies into a wall or object instead.
Sonic Lost World
Omochao is a friendly, helpful and happy robot who is always willing to provide aid to those who seeks his help. However, his patience has its limits when it comes to people who are roughhousing with him. Deviating from normal Chao, Omochao is able to talk in regular language, though he exhibits a verbal tic (in Japanese): he nearly always add "Chao" at the ends of his sentences.
Powers and abilities
Omochao has extensive knowledge of just about any subject in the universe, making him nearly all-knowing. He is also one of the few, if not only individual who can understand the language of Animals. However, he is not omniscient, as he cannot predict future outcomes and can still fall for deception.
With the propeller coming out of his head, Omochao can achieve flight. He can as well survive many injuries, including being scorched by Dr. Eggman's or Tails' cannons, and being used as weapon to throw at enemies.
In other media
Omochao also appears in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic books and spin-offs published by Archie Comics. In this media, it was originally a neutral Chao, who took on a robotic appearance after spending time with Jules Hedgehog, and was adopted by the Hedgehog Family. In the post-Super Genesis Wave timeline, it serves as a minor support and video link between the Freedom Fighters.
- "Hey look, I'm on your side, you know. I can give you hints to help you."
- —Omochao when he is held for a long time in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "What are you doing?! Why don't you get yourself a teddy bear?"
- —Omochao when being held in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Thank you for holding me."
- —Omochao after being put down in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Whoa... what happened?! Where am I? ...Oh yeah."
- —Omochao after waking up after being thrown at an enemy in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Owie! I can't believe you did that to me! Why would you do something like that?"
- —Omochao after waking up after being thrown at an enemy in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Woohoo! It's like a trampoline!"
- —Omochao when the player bounces on a spring while holding him in Sonic Adventure 2.
- Omochao's name is a portmanteau of the Japanese word "omocha" (玩具? lit. "toy"), and "Chao".
- In Sonic Adventure 2, there is a hidden audio file of Omochao saying Dr. Eggman's mustache is fake.
- Omochao appears in LEGO Dimensions in the "Sonic Dimensions" level and Sonic the Hedgehog Adventure World. His dialogue in this game, and the way the characters react to it, seems to be a parody of how he was viewed as annoying and unhelpful by many players in Sonic Adventure 2.
- In an unused line in Sonic Adventure 2, Omochao says he wants to be a real Chao.
Omochao in the Chao Garden
- In Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Omochao can be brought to the Chao Garden using Action Replay, or another cheat device. Unlike his normal self, he will have a wind-up key, not a propeller. It should also be noted that this uses the model for races, karate, and caves. The player has to activate the master code and then enter the subsequent code:
- Master Code: RRYU-KPMJ-2RG97 / 1JHA-F9UH-NEZ98
- Code: WNB5-GWEW-U4JOP / UUH7-P89F-K2602 / 54GM-2PVC-MGZDT
- In the Chao Garden, Omochao acts like a normal Chao; but he will replace the player's first hatched Chao on the slot A Memory Card. There is no way to change the model back unless the player turn off the console without saving.
|Heroes||Sonic | Tails | Amy | Knuckles | Vector | Espio | Charmy | Mighty | Big | Tikal | Cream | Emerl | Blaze | Omochao | Silver|
|Antiheroes||Chaos | Gamma | Shadow | Rouge | Omega | Jet | Wave | Storm|
|Villains||Eggman | Metal Sonic | Eggrobo | Fang | Eggman Nega | ZERO|
|Other||Mecha Sonic | Gerald | Froggy | Cheese | Vanilla|