Mr. Omochao (by Cream)
None (Referred to as male)
Sky blue, blue, orange, yellow, silver/grey
|Alignment and character traits|
|Powers and abilities|
Omochao (オモチャオ Omochao?) is a robotic Chao with a propeller on its head. Its name is a portmanteau of the Japanese word omocha, meaning "toy", and Chao. In some games he is renamed Robochao in English, but he is always called Omochao in Japanese.
Omochao is featured in the games Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 for Sega Dreamcast, Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the GameCube, Sonic Pinball Party, Sonic Battle, and Sonic Advance 3, for the Game Boy Advance, and the multi-console games Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders, Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games, Sonic Free Riders, and Sonic Generations. He also appears as a guide in Sonic and the Secret Rings' Party Mode menu.
Shaped like a Chao, Omochao is small, has stubby limbs, and a large head. He has a blue body and head with orange eyes, although in Chao Races where he is used as a guide his eyes are yellow. When Omochao is activated a red propeller comes out of his head, letting him achieve flight. Omochao has the ability to talk, and in Japan, or with Japanese language settings, he almost always adds "Chao" at the ends of his sentences.
Omochao can survive many injuries, including being scorched by Dr. Eggman's or Tails' cannons, being used as weapon to throw at enemies, or even being sucked into outer space. When abused, he falls unconscious for several seconds with smoke coming from his injuries. When he wakes up, he normally rambles at the player or begins to ask where he is, due to amnesia. This all happens in Sonic Adventure 2.
Omochao in the Chao Garden
In Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Omochao can be brought into the player's Chao Garden, but only with the use of an Action Replay, or another cheats device. Unlike the level version, he will have a wind-up key, not a propeller. It can also be noted that this is the model used for the races, karate, and the caves.
Note: To use the code above, you need to activate the master code.
Note: When you have him in your garden, he acts like a normal Chao; but Take caution, though! He will replace your first hatched Chao on your slot A Memory Card. There is no way to change the model back unless you turn off your console without saving!
- In Sonic Adventure, Omochao appears in the racing stadium by the door inside the Station Square Chao Garden. It is in the Chao Races to show which direction the Chao are supposed to go, even though there is a place where a Chao can disobey directions and take a shortcut.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, Omochao replaces Tikal's hint orbs from Sonic Adventure as the in-game manual. It can be picked up and thrown as well as used to destroy enemies. When attacked, picked up, thrown, or put down, it makes remarks.
- In Sonic Generations, Omochao acts exactly like Tikal's hint orbs, floating in the air where knowledge is needed and acting upon being passed by. In Sonic Adventure 2, Omochao was stationary on the ground until touched. He then flies and helps the player out.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, Omochao had a distinctive sound when he initiated flight and when he was "hurt". These sounds are reused in Sonic Generations. When Omochao is passed his flight sound plays, but since he can't get hurt, his "hurt" sound is played when he flies into a wall or object instead.
- Omochao also appears in Sonic Adventure 2, as a tutorial narrator, an unlockable menu theme, and the melee attack of the Chao Walker in 2-Player Battle Mode.
- Also in Sonic Adventure 2, Omochao appears frequently in Chao World. In the Chao Competition; he holds signs in both the Lobby and races, 7 of him races in one race, and even refs in Chao Karate.
- In Sonic Battle, Cream plants Omochao bombs as her Trap attack.
- In Sonic Heroes, Omochao is the tutorial guide in Sea Gate and the guide for the system screens.
- In Sonic Advance 3, Omochao appears outside of stages where he gives the player information, if the player stands beside him and presses up. He also appears during the ending, where he takes a picture of the game's heroes right before the incomplete ending credits.
- In Shadow the Hedgehog, there is an unlockable "Omochao Gun" that shoots out Omochao heads. They have a wide range and can bounce off walls. When upgraded, the weapon is capable of killing most enemies with a single shot, and it bounces off walls and take out multiple enemies in a single shot.
- In Sonic Riders, Omochao commentates on the races, and appears as a news anchor in Story Mode. It also appears as the store clerk for the shop where the player can buy new gear.
- In Sonic and the Secret Rings, Omochao appears in the multiplayer mode to help the players with some of the games. He is voiced by Rebecca Honig.
- Omochao is also in Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games with Tux, Chirps, Flicky, Chao and Porker. In the DS version's Adventure mode, he can be found in each town and will give hints to the player.
- In Sonic Free Riders, Omochao is a commentator in Story Mode, covering the latest races for Sonic and the gang during the story. Laura Bailey voiced him in this game.
- In Sonic Generations, Omochao gives the player tips and hints about the level and various gameplay aspects. He can be turned on and off from the Options menu.
- In Sonic Lost World, Omochao appears on the world map and assigns optional missions for the player to complete.
Apperances in other media
Omochao also appears in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog comic books and spin-offs published by Archie Comics. In this media, it was originally a neutral Chao, who took on a robotic appearance after spending time with Jules Hedgehog, and was adopted by the Hedgehog Family. In the post-Super Genesis Wave timeline, it serves as a minor support and video link between the New Freedom Fighters.
- "Hey look,I'm on your side."Omochao when he is held for a long time in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "What are you doing?! Why don't you get a teddy bear?" Omochao when being held in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Please put me down..." Omochao when being held in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Thank you for holding me." Omochao after being put down in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Whoa... what happened?! Where am I? ...Oh yeah." Omochao after waking up after being thrown at an enemy.
- Many fans describe Omochao as "insanely annoying."
- In Sonic Adventure 2, there is a hidden audio file of Omochao saying Dr. Eggman's mustache is fake.
- It's possible that Omochao was created by Dr. Eggman due to the fact that it resembles his other robots and is a mechanized Chao.
|Heroes||Sonic | Tails | Amy | Knuckles | Vector | Espio | Charmy | Mighty | Big | Tikal | Cream | Emerl | Blaze | Omochao | Silver|
|Antiheroes||Chaos | Gamma | Shadow | Rouge | Omega | Jet | Wave | Storm|
|Villains||Eggman | Metal Sonic | Eggrobo | Fang | Eggman Nega | ZERO|
|Other||Mecha Sonic | Gerald | Froggy | Cheese | Vanilla|