|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
The Orbinaut (created 3235) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a sea urchin-based Badnik variant created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik and is one of the original Classic Badniks.
Orbinaut first appeared at the Casino Night Zone. Robotnik unveiled it and immediately tested it by having it slam Sonic the Hedgehog with a spiked ball. When Sonic recovered, he used his Sonic Spin to deflect two more spiked balls, sending them back.
He would have several appearances shortly thereafter. When Tails was spotted near a company picnic, Orbinaut and Buzzbomber attacked, only for Tails to send a spiked ball back at Orbinaut. He also saw Robotnik show fear regarding a robot dentist. Oddly enough, rather than being in the Robo Hobo Jungle along with the rest of Robotnik's old Badniks, he was still around by the time Mecha Sonic had backfired, informing Robotnik that Sonic was spotted in the badlands. He was also seen at Rusty's, where he and several others fought Sonic and Bunnie Rabbot.
Misfit Badnik Island
When Sonic headed for Island of Misfit Badniks, he walked into a brawl with many badniks, Orbinaut among them. Orbinaut had the unenviable task of being a referee in a "Bighorn Challenge" between Sonic and Pseudo-Sonic, which sank the island. Their plan for revenge, enlarging Pseudo Sonic, was waylaid by the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters. Orbinaut saw them interfering, and took on P.B. Jellyfish, and lost. Fluke the Blue Whale smashed the badniks, the island, and the enlarged Pseudo Sonic.
A small team of Orbinauts reappeared underwater in the Labyrinth Zone during Operation: Clean Sweep, where they in this reality were created by and serving under Dr. Eggman. In this Zone, they attacked Sonic and his group. Making a hole in a wall, Sonic created a drain which sucked in him, Sally, Rotor, Antoine and the Orbinauts. Emerging from a waterfall, the Orbinauts and Antoine fell into the depths while the rest escape.
- Note: From this point, the Orbinauts' history continues from their new life in the altered timeline.
Powers and abilities
The Orbinauts' abilities rely on their four spiked balls which they can hold in orbit around them to act as both weapons and a shield. Their spinning enables Orbinauts to float in the air, and they can be launched one by one at his foes. The Orbinauts seen during Operation: Clean Sweep could as well shoot spikes from their spike balls.
- The Orbinaut is based on the Badnik models with the same name which first debuted in Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).
- A couple of pinkish purple robots resembling the Orbinauts appeared in a newly discovered Zone where Super Sonic and Hyper Knuckles fought in Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles.
- Orbinaut is one of the Badniks that has not been featured in character bios of Sonic Archives.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "You Bet My Life!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Tails' Little Tale"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #9, "Tooth or Consequences!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Court-martial"
- ↑ Sonic Super Special #15, "Sonic Spin City"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #227, "Genesis Part Two: Fate and Friends"