- This article is about Dr. Eggman's assistant in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. You might be looking for Orbinaut.
Orbot's main jobs are assisting Dr. Eggman in his schemes for world domination and making sure the processes of his plans are carried out correctly. He is paired up with his counterpart Cubot in his service of Eggman. While Orbot obeys Eggman faithfully, he does not like him very much. He is sassy and insensitive with an eye for efficiency, inadvertently pointing out Eggman's mistakes, much to his creator's dismay.
Orbot is a very small robot in comparison of Dr. Eggman's other creations and has a very simple design. He has a very round head with glowing eyes and mouth, his torso is compromised of a ball joint with thin metal bars and his end is the half of a sphere.
In Sonic Unleashed, Orbot is shown with red-painted hands, a white head top with pink eyes and a black-painted end, however, as of Sonic Colors, Orbot displayed a new color scheme, now with his head painted red and light blue eyes.
In Sonic Unleashed, Orbot assisted Eggman in his plan to use the power of Dark Gaia, which scattered around the world when Eggman awoke it, to construct Eggmanland by overseeing the process, doing the mechanical processes involved and relaying information to Eggman that he needed regarding how his plan was carried out. When Eggman deployed his Egg Cauldron to take of Sonic in the Tornado-1, Orbot warned Eggman to handle it gently, but was ignored.
Later on, Orbot accompanied Eggman to Mazuri to secure the local Gaia Temple. There, Orbot laughed at Eggman when he was pegged in the face by a rock from Kwod before he was shut up by the doctor. When Sonic then came to the villagers' rescue, Orbot came with Eggman as he escaped.
Back at Eggman's base, Orbot presented Eggman with his dinner and reported his plans were behind schedule, which Orbot constantly noted was the doctor's own fault while pointing out the undesired results of his hasty actions. As Eggman contemplated on how to gather Dark Gaia's pieces, Orbot gave his suggestions, but was brushed aside when Eggman had the idea of attracting them with an energy pulse. As Eggman's plan proved to be successful, Orbot commenced Project Dark Gaia upon Eggman's clearance.
Later on, Orbot was in Eggman's Egg Mobile with Eggman as the doctor was defeated by Sonic in the Egg Dragoon and then knocked into the horizon by Dark Gaia appeared. Landing in a rocky region as Sonic and Chip defeated Dark Gaia and thwarted Eggman's plans, Orbot suggested to Eggman that he could begin anew as he listed all the ways the doctor's plans had failed, making Eggman snap and try to kick him. Orbot, however, dodged the kick and ran off with the doctor chasing after him.
In Sonic Colors, Orbot and Cubot assisted Dr. Eggman in his scheme to enslave the world with a mind control cannon by capturing the Wisps from their planets in Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park and harvesting their Hyper-go-on. Before the opening day of the amusement, Orbot and Cubot were out trying to capture Yacker and a Cyan Wisp, until Sonic saved the Wisps.
Later, Orbot and Cubot presented the Wisps they had caught to Eggman and were just sent out to get more when Sonic had arrived. Orbot then followed after Eggman when the doctor unleashed the Rotatatron. After Sonic destroyed the Rotatatron, Orbot and Cubot were send to clean up the robot's remains. Though they could not find Rotatatron's arm, Orbot was not concerned, unaware it had gotten stuck in the mind control cannon. Back at Eggman's headquarters, Orbot was ordered by to give Cubot a new voice chip to get rid of his cowboy-accent. However, Orbot got the wrong chip and gave Cubot a pirate-accent, resulting in him hurrying out on Eggman's orders to fix it.
When the mind control cannon was ready, Orbot watched Eggman activate it, only for it to backfire due to the Rotatatron's arm being stuck in it. As Orbot then slapped Cubot's back in praise for being more "attentive" when Cubot noted Eggman's constant failures, he gave Cubot his old voice back. When Eggman then faced Sonic in his Nega-Wisp Armor and was defeated, Orbot was pulled with Eggman and Cubot into a temporarily black hole created by the mind control cannon. Now stranded in outer space, Orbot and Cubot began helping Eggman get back to civilization by pushing him in his trashed Egg Mobile through space.
Some time before the events of Sonic Generations, a short while after the destruction of Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park, Orbot and Cubot were still pushing Eggman in his damaged Egg Mobile through outer space alongside when they encountered the primordial form of the Time Eater. As Eggman decided to harness the creature's powers for his own needs, Orbot and Cubot pushed Eggman into the Time Eater, disappearing with it to prepare it for his plans, thus leaving Orbot and Cubot behind in space.
Sonic Lost World
In Sonic Lost World, Orbot and Cubot were working for Dr. Eggman in his newest scheme to conquer the world with the help of the Deadly Six, whom Eggman had forced into serving him with the Cacophonic Conch. After kidnapping a capsule full of animals for Badniks, Orbot was flying through the sky with Eggman and Cubot in the Egg Mobile where they were pursued by Sonic and Tails in the Tornado, until Eggman shot the Tornado down.
Returning to Eggman's factory on the Lost Hex, Orbot worked with Cubot on making Badniks. Later on, when Eggman tested his Extractor, Orbot operated the controls on the device, but was ordered to shut it down before it could destroy the Earth.
Later in Desert Ruins, Orbot and Cubot were with Eggman as he punished the Deadly Six with the Cacophonic Conch when Sonic arrived and knocked the conch away. As the Deadly Six then rebelled against and attacked everyone present with the Badniks, Orbot caught Cubot's detached head, before escaping with Sonic, Tails and Eggman.
After escaping the Deadly Six, Orbot left Sonic and Tails with Cubot and Eggman. When they learned the Deadly Six were using the Extractor to destroy the Earth, however, Cubot, Eggman and Orbot came back and teamed up with Sonic and Tails to stop the Deadly Six before they could destroy the world.
Along the group's travels, Orbot served as the carrier for Cubot's head. After Tails got captured by the Deadly Six, Orbot asked Sonic if he could become his sidekick, finding him a better alternative than Eggman, but was declined. Later, Orbot was forced to have Cubot's head attached to his body by Eggman.At Lava Mountain, the group was attacked by Zazz and Zomom, who made Orbot and Cubot fall into a lava pit. However, they were saved by Eggman, who faked his death by falling into the same lava pit and then flying to safety with a jetpack, with Orbot and Cubot hitching a ride on him. After Eggman then shut down the Extractor and charged his mech, Orbot and Cubot joined Eggman in his mech as the doctor faced Sonic and Tails but was defeated. After that, Orbot and Cubot witnessed Eggman fall down from the Lost Hex due to Sonic sabotaging his jetpack. They eventually found Eggman in a hole, though with half of his mustache gone. Orbot convinced Cubot to wait telling Eggman about his mustache until he separated them, but Eggman overheard them, scaring Orbot and Cubot away.
Other Game Appearances
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
In Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Orbot make several appearances in the game's different events, along with Cubot. In London Party mode, Orbot is one of the helping characters, where sometimes, when placing a sticker on a question mark spot, both Orbot and Cubot will appear and copy an existing sticker on that page, placing it in a random spot that is not a question mark. Additionally, Orbot and Cubot have their own bonus game, "Orbot And Cubot Tag", where they will try to trap the players in metal cages.
Additionally, when speaking to Metal Sonic in London, Orbot and Cubot will appear above his head and talk to the player instead.
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Orbot appear alongside Cubot as one of the hosts for the Action and Answer Tour.
Orbot is sassy, straightforward and insensitive. Originally, he was rather robot-like, being logical and mechanical in both behavior and speech. However, his personality has since become more refined and life-like, letting show a wider spectrum of emotions and more independence.
Orbot has an eye for efficiency, taking close notice of any flaws and unfitting statements. He will also criticize others when he sees fit, though he does not mean to insult others, but just to give constructive criticism. Early on, Orbot was rather sarcastic and would insult others with sarcastic remarks. Over time though, he has become less sarcastic and more formal in his approaches.
When apporoaching others with his opinions, Orbot can be rather tactless, such as criticizing Eggman outright and as a matter-of-factly, and asking Sonic if he could become his sidekick despite Sonic being depressed over the loss of Tails. He is also somewhat lazy, showing limited interest in his assignments and often slacking off on the job.
Powers and Abilities
Orbot has the ability to retract his body into a travel-sized sphere. While in this state, he is fully capable of movements.
Orbot is able to levitate himself and can move freely through mid-air. However, he is not able to levitate any higher than a few meters off ground and requires a solid surface below him to levitate, meaning he cannot fly across large spaces and will fall down if the footing below him is removed.
While Orbot obeys Dr. Eggman faithfully and shows concerns about his well-being, he really does not like him very much. He is constantly bothered by Eggman's attitude, and agrees with both Sonic and Tails that he is a "total bonehead". He will also openly laugh at Eggman's misfortune and would early on insult him openly with sarcastic remarks. Additionally, Orbot considers working for Sonic a better alternative than working for Eggman. Regardless of his dislike of Eggman though, Orbot is very much afraid of the doctor's wrath and will try to not overstep his boundaries.
Cubot is Orbot's partner in the service of Dr. Eggman. In general, Orbot is not fond of Cubot's dimwitted behavior and considers him a bucket-head and a dolt. He especially showed dislike of having to share his body with Cubot's head in Sonic Lost World, considered his situation a "nightmare". When they work together, Orbot has a tendency to let Cubot do all the work while he slacks off. Also, while having to carry around with Cubot's conscious head in Sonic Lost World, he would mostly fumble around with it for his amusement. Nevertheless, Orbot has a good relationship with Cubot and he considers him a close friend of his. When Cubot regained his normal voice in Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World, Orbot would be very happy about his recovery, and when Cubot's body was destroyed in Sonic Lost World, Orbot showed genuine sadness when he thought he had been killed.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Though they are supposed to be enemies, Orbot does not really hold any hostility towards Sonic the Hedgehog. In fact, Orbot admires Sonic for his devotion to his friends, which makes him wish to be his sidekick. Also, in Sonic Lost World, after Tails was captured by the Deadly Six, Orbot asked Sonic if he could become his sidekick in the case he could not save Tails as he considered working for him a better alterative than Eggman.
Appearances in Other Media
Orbot appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-offs. In this media, Orbot is one of Dr. Eggman's emergency lackeys and personal attendants, along with Cubot. When Snively betrayed Eggman and tried to seize control of the Eggman Empire, Orbot and Cubot were activated to help Eggman capture Snively. After the mission was completed, Orbot and Cubot were permanently instated as Eggman's foremost assistants.
In a behind-the-scenes video released on 25 February 2014, it is revealed that Orbot will be a part of the upcoming TV series, Sonic Boom and the video games Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal.
- "That, Doctor, is the result of the power of the Chaos Emeralds, which you discarded along with Sonic. Ergo, another repercussion of your hasty actions."
- —Orbot replying to Eggman about the planet's recovery.
- "Searching conventional wisdom banks for topical advice... "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a simple step." "Slow and steady wins the race." "Nobody likes a whiner.""
- —Orbot giving Eggman advice on recovering Dark Gaia.
- "Your skill of self-aggrandisement is unparallelised."
- —Orbot comments after Eggman laughs to himself at his genius.
- "You can simply begin your plans anew. Even if all your efforts this last time were utterly wasted. Even if it was a complete and utter humiliating loss. Even the most pathetic loser in all the world will surely have his chance to..."
- —Orbot lecturing Eggman after his defeat in Sonic Unleashed.
- "He means since the boss said "nothing will stop me" and Sonic is here to stop him, it's like the boss is calling Sonic "nothing.""
- —Orbot explaining to Cubot of why Sonic was called "nothing" by Eggman.
- "On the bright side he's much more exotic now."
- —Orbot's response to Eggman's comment on Cubot's pirate voice chip.
- "The last laugh? How is laughing last so special? Isn't that like being the slowest one to get the joke?"
- —Orbot contredicting Eggman after he says he will have the last laugh.
- "Alas, poor Cubot. I knew him well."
- —Orbot lamenting Cubot's decapitation at the hands of the Deadly Six.
- "From where I'm sitting, it is a nighmare. Who thought that putting this bucket-brain's head onto me was a good idea?"
- —Orbot after having Cubot's head attached to him and disagreeing being a robot is not bad.
- Orbot was not given an official name until Sonic Colors, as he was not addressed by name in Sonic Unleashed. He was given the name "Ergo" by fans on account of his propensity to use the word frequently while dissecting Eggman's plans. However, in the Sonic Unleashed game script given to Archie Comics writer Ian Flynn, he was supposedly named "SA-55".
- This early name is leet speak for "sass", which refers to his overall sassy behavior.
- Orbot's name is a portmanteau of the words "orb" and "robot".
- It is also an anagram for "robot".
- In Vectorman, a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game included in Sonic Gems Collection, the titular protagonist was a type of robot also referred to as an Orbot.
- Cubot and Orbot share a similar role to that of several Sonic-related television shows, where Eggman has two rather incompetent henchmen in their own right (such as Scratch and Grounder in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sleet and Dingo in Sonic Underground and Decoe and Bocoe in Sonic X).
- Orbot is usually doing his "trademark pose" by lying down with his hand on his head.
- In one cutscene of Sonic Lost World, Orbot is seen holding Cubot's head and saying "Alas, poor Cubot, I knew him well.", a reference to the famous "Alas, poor Yorick" speech from William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sonic Colors (Wii) North American instruction booklet, p. 5
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Orbot: If we don't find your friend Tails, can I be your sidekick? / Sonic: What? Shut up! What kind of question is that?" / Orbot: I didn't mean anything by it. I just thought it might be better to work for you than Eggman. / Dr. Eggman: Hello? I'm sitting right here, you know. / Sonic: Orbot, no matter what happens, I won't fail again. I will save Tails. / Orbot: It's stuff like that that makes me want to be your sidekick. Tails is lucky." - "Orbot's Offer", Sky Road, Sonic Lost World.
- ↑ Sonic Lost World, Lava Mountain.
- ↑ Sonic Lost World, Tropical Coast.
- ↑ Kellie (25 February 2014). Go Behind the Scenes with Sonic Boom. Retrieved on 25 February 2014.
- ↑