|This article is about a subject in the real world.|
Information in this article is about real-life people, companies, and objects, and does not relate to the in-universe Sonic series.
The PlayStation 2 (abbreviated as PS2) is a video game console developed by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2000. It competed with Sega's Dreamcast, Nintendo's GameCube and Microsoft's Xbox. Its successor was the PlayStation 3 and its predecessor was the PlayStation, for which no Sonic games were released (Sega was still manufacturing their own video game consoles at the time). Seven Sonic the Hedgehog series games were available for the system (including three from Sega featuring Sonic).
Sonic game list
- Sonic Heroes
- Sonic Mega Collection Plus
- Sonic Gems Collection (Japan and Europe only)
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Sonic Riders
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
- Sonic Unleashed
Sega Games featuring Sonic
- E-123 Omega
- Egg Pawn
- Neo Metal Sonic
- Black Doom
- Jet the Hawk
- Storm the Albatross
- Wave the Swallow
- Dark Gaia
- Sonic the Werehog
- Professor Pickle
Box artwork gallery
- The PlayStation 2's life-cycle was a total of thirteen years (2000-2013) and sold over 155 million units before being officially discontinued on 4 January 2013. As well, the PlayStation 4 would then be announced a month later and was released on November of the same year.
- The PS2 has over 1,850 games available.
- This is the first console to have a DVD drive.
- Sega Superstars is the only Sonic-related game exclusive to the PS2 that comes with the EyeToy camera.
- Sonic Heroes was the first Sonic game to appear on a Sony console.
- PS2 versions of Sonic Heroes and Sonic Mega Collection Plus had a few problems that other versions of the games did not have. Sonic Heroes had camera and framerate problems while Sonic Mega Collection Plus had audio problems. Sonic Team may have had some development problems due to lack of experience making games for the PS2.
- The PS2 version of Sonic Gems Collection was released in Japan and Europe, but the U.S. version was never released for unknown reasons.