The Phantom Egg is the final boss in Sonic Mania. A mech suit designed and used by Dr. Eggman, with the Phantom Ruby as its power source, it was used during Eggman's battle against Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in the Titanic Monarch Zone.
Concept and creation
The Phantom Egg is a fairly large mech suit. The suit itself is in the shape of an egg, colored burgundy on top and light blue on the bottom. The appendages of the mech suit are gray and burgundy. It also has six piledrivers pressing into the top of the suit; these piledrivers are gray with two yellow lines. The Phantom Egg has four tethers connected to each corner of the room that allows the Phantom Egg to hold its own weight. These tethers have eight ball joints, each green with a yellow X-shaped mark and a blue dot in the middle of the mark inscribed on each ball joint. The Phantom Ruby is placed in the Phantom Egg's chest, along with a window that allows Eggman to see from inside the suit.
Features and abilities
The Phantom Egg boasts several abilities that make the suit one of Eggman's more uniquely powerful creations. The Phantom Egg is equipped with an orange force-field that protects it from damage from any threat it comes across. It also can electrify its tethers that will shock any opponent it touches. However, when Eggman uses the electric tethers, he cannot use the force-field, making him open to attacks. It can also launch up to four missiles that can home in on opponents with great precision. The Phantom Egg also has the ability to send foes to another room if captured by red holographic hands that Eggman can control at whim.
While in the suit, Eggman can jump incredibly high and stay in the air with the suit's tethers, even if only one tether remains.
During his scheme to use the Phantom Ruby for his own, twisted desires, Eggman created the Phantom Egg in a secured room in the Titanic Monarch Zone. However, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles would arrive to defeat the Phantom Egg-wearing Eggman and secure the Phantom Ruby from further tampering. During the battle, Eggman used the Phantom Heavies in an attempt to defeat the heroes, but to no avail. Upon the Phantom Egg's defeat, the Phantom Ruby sucked Sonic and Eggman into another dimension.
The Phantom Egg is the second boss of Titanic Monarch Zone, the final standard boss, and the twenty-fourth overall boss of Sonic Mania. It serves as the final boss for Tails and Knuckles, as well as for Sonic if the player did not collect all seven Chaos Emeralds.
Being the final standard boss of Sonic Mania, the Phantom Egg is a difficult boss to subdue. When the battle begins, the Phantom Egg will surround itself with an orange shield that deflects any attack the player aims towards it. While protected, the Phantom Egg will move across the arena, leaping from one space to another in an attempt to squish the player. Occasionally, the Phantom Egg will also fire four missiles at a time, each one leaving visible crosshairs where they will strike. Eventually, the Phantom Egg will stop hopping and situate itself in one spot where it will lower its shield and electrify its tethers. Touching the electrifying tethers will hurt the player, but the tethers will also stop outputting electricity for several seconds, allowing the player to hit the Phantom Egg. Alternately, Super States or those with Lightning Shields can attack the doctor for the duration of the time his shield is down
The Phantom Egg will also sometimes stay afloat and initiate a pair of holographic hands that will drift towards the player until they grab them. When the player is grabbed, they will be warped to another section of the boss fight where they will encounter one of the Phantom Heavies. The following contains each section of the Phantom Heavies:
- Phantom Gunner: The Phantom Gunner segment is the first section the player will be transported to. In this section, the Phantom Gunner will, from the background, launch several red and blue missiles at the platform the player is on: red missiles will burst on the floor and spread fire to the platform, while blue missiles can be knocked back at the Phantom Gunner with an attack.
- Phantom Shinobi: The Phantom Shinobi segment is the second section the player will be transported to. The Phantom Shinobi, now in the shape of a shuriken, will bounce or charge across the room. While on the left side or right side of the room, he will fire his outer spiked segments off temporarily before summoning them back to himself. When doing this, he will go to the left side of the room first before heading to the right side of the room.
- Phantom Magician: The Phantom Magician segment is the third section the player will be transported to. Here, the player is forced into playing the shell game: there are three bowls, one in the middle that the player must pay attention to while the bowls will be shuffled. When the bowls are done shuffling, two of them will blast at the player, but the bowl that the player should have paid attention to at the beginning of the segment will be the bowl that will not blast at the player. The Phantom Magician will appear in the middle before moving up with the bowls and ending the segment.
- Phantom Rider: The Phantom Rider segment is the final section the player will be transported to. There will be two roads in this section: one that the player will auto run on and another that the Phantom Rider will drive along on a modified Jimmy. The two roads will eventually separate, with the road Phantom Rider on the top road and the player on the bottom road. The bottom road will be filled with spikes that the player must avoid. This segment continues until the Phantom Rider hits a wall.
During these segments, it is not possible to harm any of the Phantom Heavies; the player's only option is to survive their attacks until they are warped back to the fight with the Phantom Egg.
Every fourth hit the player lands on the Phantom Egg will destroy one of its tethers and make it easier to strike it; after eights hits, the mech suit becomes able to float in midair at times instead of just bouncing. Hit the Phantom Egg a total of sixteen times and the boss battle will end. If Sonic has all of the Chaos Emeralds, the Phantom Ruby will warp Sonic and Eggman to the Egg Reverie Zone where the fight will continue. If Sonic does not have all of the Chaos Emeralds, or the boss is defeated as Tails or Knuckles, the Phantom Egg will crack open and drop an upset Eggman on the ground, prompting the player to flee with the other heroes in a rocket car nearby as Titanic Monarch Zone explodes, leading to the bad ending of the game.
|Ruby Illusions||Tee Lopes||1:08|
- The icon for Eggman's targeting system is taken from the level select of SegaSonic the Hedgehog.
- It should be noted that upon reaching the boss fight, the game timer resets back to zero due to the potentially long length of Act 2.
- Part of the music that plays during the battle has a similar melody to the final boss theme from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.