in other media
|Alignment and character traits|
Picky (ピッキー Pikkī?) is the name given to the small pigs, who are one of Sonic's animal friends. Picky made his first appearance in the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Along with many other animal friends, he is one of the animals that are captured by Dr. Eggman, who imprisons them in capsules or use them as energy sources for his Badniks. Picky is small pig with light skin, anthropomorphic arms with five fingers in each hand and cloven.
In the western territory, Sega of America has been renamed Picky as Porker Lewis in the second draft of the Sonic Bible, which has been then used for the character's name in the western media. According the second draft of Sonic Bible, Porker Lewis has come from a large family like other animal friends. Porker Lewis has also been the inspiration for one of main characters with the same name in Sonic the Comic.
Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
Picky first appears in the 16-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog. Along with other animal friends, he gets kidnapped by Doctor Robotnik. Picky himself is featured at Spring Yard Zone and Starlight Zone.
Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld
Even though Picky does not appear in later games after the original Sonic the Hedgehog until Sonic the Hedgehog 4, he makes his next appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld with Sonic, Tails, Amy and other animal friends. He can be seen in the background among Gameworld testing equipment. A toy version of Porker can be seen in a machine in the Toy Drop game and an icon of him is visible inside a slot machine in the Concentration game.
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Mario & Sonic series
Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Picky also makes an appearance in both episodes of Sonic the Hedgehog 4. He plays the same role as in the original Sonic the Hedgehog as he is released from badniks or capsules. In Episode I he only appears at Casino Street Zone and in Episode II he only appears at Oil Desert Zone. At the end of Episode Metal, Porker Lewis and other animal friends get shocked by Metal Sonic and run away.
Picky, Flicky, Tux and Chirps make a brief appearance in Sonic Generations. In the game, they can be freed during Capsule Challenge Acts in which the player has to open as many capsules as possible. Animal friends also serve as the last collectible trophy in the room in console versions.
Sonic Jump (2012)
Picky, Flicky, Pocky and Chirps make an appearance in the intro cutscene in the 2012 remake of Sonic Jump. In the game, Dr. Eggman kidnaps them and takes them to the prison unit on the Egg Mobile, while Sonic and others try to stop them.
Sonic Lost World
Picky along with other animal friends appeared in Sonic Lost World, where they are shown to inhabit the Lost Hex. During the events of the game, Dr. Eggman, with the assistance of Deadly Six, resumed kidnapping animals, with Picky being among them, to use them once again as the energy source for his badnik army. The few group of animals and a single Picky that managed to escape capture remained behind with Knuckles and Amy while Sonic and Tails went out to save their friends, where some of them had fun at the expense of Knuckles and even carried him around.
Picky and other animals in Sonic Lost World, are collectible content used to progress with the game. Once the player has collected a set amount of Pickies and other animals, the player gain access to the fourth Zone in each area. Sonic is able to free Picky from badniks, smaller capsules and even regular large ones at the end of each Zone. Picky along with other animals can also be collected from Circus tents of each Zone. Picky himself can be found in Windy Hill, Tropical Coast, Frozen Factory and Silent Forest.
- Porker Lewis appears along with other animal friends at background of multiple pictures, that are featured in Sonic the Screen Saver.
- He also appears in some artworks and pictures, that have previously featured earlier in Sonic Jam and are also featured in Sonic Gems Collection.
Appearances in Other Media
Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic
Picky along with other animal friends, appears in Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic manga. He appears in few panels in first and third stories. In Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic Volume 2' story Clash!! South Island Sonic frees him from being Caterkiller badnik. Picky then starts tell Sonic that he saw Ricky and Cucky also becoming badniks. After hearing this Sonic start his rescue mission.
Sonic the Comic
In Sonic the Comic, Porker Lewis was a founding member of the Freedom Fighters and a technical genius. After a mission involving the Brotherhood of Metallix, during which he was held prisoner on the Miracle Planet for a month, Porker suffered a nervous breakdown and left the team. He subsequently moved to the Floating Island and helped Knuckles the Echidna fix the Island's ancient Echidna technology.
Porker is one of the animal friends that appears in the Sonic: GENESIS arc of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. He was one of the animals that was imprisoned in the Badniks. He was rescued by Sonic once Sonic destroyed the Badniks.
Picky has made small cameo appearances in few episodes of Sonic X anime. He is shown to be much like he's described in video games. He's seen along with Flickies and other animals on the TV-report in episode Defective Detectives and he's seen with other animals transporting back to their home world in the episode Running Out of Time.
Sonic X (comics)
- I love beating Dr. Robotonik! - Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld
- In Dic's early scrapped Sonic cartoon, Porker Lewis was featured in a cast picture as part of the "Freedom team". He was large with wild hair and wore a leather jacket and sunglasses.
- Picky is one of only animal friends from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, that doesn't appear in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles at all.
- His western name, Porker Lewis is likely parodying the popular comedy character Parker Lewis, from the series Parker Lewis Can't Lose.
- Porker Lewis may be the inspiration for the animated series and Archie Comics pig character, Hamlin, although the characters' personalities in their respective comics are total opposites.
- In the American credits of Sonic Gameworld he is labeled with his Japanese name, "Picky" instead of his western name during that time.
- When Picky was originally featured on his own card in Sonic the Hedgehog Online Trading Cards, he has been misleadingly named as Cookie. Pocky on his own card, has been then misleadingly called as Picky.