Power Sneakers are Sonic the Hedgehog's iconic footwear, and iconic attire entirely.
|Statistics and Overview|
Red sneakers with a white strap and gold buckle.
Power Sneakers are the distinctive footwear of Sonic the Hedgehog. They are mainly red, with a gold buckle and white strap and cuffs. They have pointed toes. The term may sometimes refer to certain power-ups on item boxes with Power Sneaker on the screen, that temporarily increase the player's speed and jumping height.
Although Sonic is naturally fast, several continuities (such as Sonic the Comic and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog) established that the Power Sneakers were designed to reduce friction on his feet, thus allowing him to run at his full potential. This was expanded upon in the Game Gear game Sonic Labyrinth, where Dr. Robotnik replaced Sonic's Power Sneakers with Slow-Down Boots that drastically hindered Sonic's walking speed and drained him of some of his energy.
Naoto Ōshima admitted that the design of the shoes was inspired by the cover of Michael Jackson's hit album Bad, and that the contrast between the colors white and red made him think of Santa Claus.
- Slow-Down Boots are heavy boots designed to look like Sonic's normal shoes that drain his speed and jumping abilities in Sonic Labyrinth.
- Light Speed Shoes are shoes that let Sonic use the Light Speed Dash to travel across trails of rings.
- Soap shoes are shoes that Sonic wore in Sonic Adventure 2 and its remake Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.
- In the Sonic Riders series, Sonic wears a different version of his Power Sneakers, which more closely resemble high-top tennis shoes, whether or not he is riding Extreme Gear.
- Custom Shoes are shoes that Sonic obtains in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) that let him use the powers of the Light Chip, Antigravity and Gems in the game. Whenever he uses them, Sonic's Power Sneakers take on the appearance of the Custom Shoes.
Appearances in Other Media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog promotional comic, the Power Sneakers (referred to simply as "frictionless shoes") were created and given to Sonic by Doctor Ovi Kintobor. This was after Sonic's previous trainers were shredded by the accident that turned him blue. In this comic, there is no indication that the Power Sneakers help Sonic to run faster or that they help to protect his feet.
Sonic the Comic
In Sonic the Comic, the Power Sneakers were again created and given to Sonic by Doctor Ovi Kintobor. (Sonic had, until this time, worn a tatty pair of trainers.) During Sonic's first use of the Power Sneakers, on the Kinetic Gyratoscope, he managed to break the sound barrier for the first time. The resulting shockwaves fused his spines and turned him from his original brown into his more familiar streamlined, blue shape. Sonic has many identical pairs of Power Sneakers.
Sonic once replaced his regular Power Sneakers for a new pair with extra grip, but his intense speed (as well as a battle against Robotnik and Robofox) melted them after their first use. Shortly afterwards, a squirrel named Tufftee found some of Sonic's old Power Sneakers and ran off. The shoes contained a bit of Sonic's "high-speed energy" and allowed Tufftee to run all the way to the Marble Zone, where he was captured by Badniks and had to be rescued by Sonic. Sonic later took the Sneakers back, claiming that they only worked for him.
In the Archie Comics continuity, Sonic's shoes were created by his uncle, Sir Charles Hedgehog. Because Sonic continued to burn through the rubber soles on any sneaker he received due to his speed, Sir Charles created a pair of light weight, hyper friction resistant sneakers from the energy of Power Rings for Sonic that would never be worn out. These sneakers would then become Sonic's signature power sneakers.
Initially, these sneakers resembled the Power Sneakers Sonic the Hedgehog wore during the Genesis era. However, after Sonic managed to divert an energy beam, that would have caused the entire planet to be destroyed, with a Super Emerald, Sonic got exposed to the Super Emerald's energies when the beam hit him instead. The resulting energy burst not only slightly changed Sonic's appearance, but it also caused his sneakers to gain golden buckles on them as well, making them resemble their more modern appearance.
Sonic's sneakers were once stolen by a SWATbot and replaced with special energy-draining shoes. This resulted in Sonic losing his great speed and a bit of his life force, although it is not clear whether it was the lack of his own shoes or wearing the new shoes that was responsible. When Tails returned Sonic's original shoes, his speed instantly returned. His Majesty, King Sonic of Mobius also wears a variant of the Power Sneakers, even when going to formal affairs.
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series)
The first half of the episode "The Odd Couple/Ro-Becca" in the television series Sonic the Hedgehog, established that Sonic is fiercely protective of his sneakers, as Antoine threw them out the door of his home when he saw that Sonic was tracking mud on his floor and putting snow on his sofa. Sonic angrily told him to never mess with "his sneaks" again.
In addition, Sonic's sneakers are fitted with anti-gravity jets on the soles that allow Sonic to slow his descent when falling in order to land safely. These "anti-gravs" are activated by pushing a button on the side of the shoe. Sonic's sneakers also have magnetic soles, also activated by buttons on the shoes, that allow him to stick to metal surfaces, such as the underside of a Hover Unit. This same feature was brought back later in Sonic Underground.
- The only games where Sonic wears different looking shoes are Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Riders, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Unleashed (while in Werehog form), Sonic Free Riders, and Sonic Lost World (in The Legend of Zelda Zone).
- Amy and Blaze wear shoes that look similar to the Power Sneakers. Amy's ones are boots with a white, vertical strip while Blaze's are high-heeled with fur cuffs and a shinier red substance split in two parts down the center.
- In Sonic Lost World, Zeena, one of the members of the Deadly Six, makes a remark that Sonic shoes are "atrocious".
- ↑ http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4208/out_of_the_blue_naoto_ohshima_.php?page=2
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #8, "The Origin of Sonic"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #73, "Spinball Wizard"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #2, "Robofox"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #3, "Mayhem in the Marble Zone"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog, "Blast to the Past, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog, "Spyhog"
- ↑ Sonic Underground, "Sonia's Choice"
- Power Sneakers at the Sonic the Comic Wiki