"Prize Fights" is the forty-fifth episode of the anime series, Sonic X, as well as the fourth episode of the Emerl Saga. It first aired on 8 February 2004 and 19 February 2005 in Japan and the United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Rouge the Bat
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Chuck Thorndyke
- Nelson Thorndyke
- Lindsey Thorndyke
- Mr. Tanaka
- Ella (Japanese version only)
- Big the Cat (Japanese version only)
- Froggy (Japanese version only)
- Scarlet Garcia
- Mr. Stewart
- Sam Speed
- Christina Cooper
- Elmer Johnson
- Jerome Wise
- E-77 Lucky
- Dr. Eggman
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
To lure Dr. Eggman into the open, the President throws a tournament with the red Chaos Emerald as the prize. The contestants include Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Chris, Danny, Nelson, Chuck, Lucky, Emerl, Decoe, Bocoe, Mr. Stewart, Sam Speed, Ella, Mister Tanaka, the President himself, a black knight and Bokkun.
As the fights progress, Lucky manages to win through sheer luck, and Emerl defeats opponent after opponent. In the final round, Sonic and Amy were facing off but Amy refuses to fight him and thinks that Sonic will never fight her by saying that he cares about her, which made Sonic embarrassed. Chris has no way to make Amy mad, but then Eggman shows up and Sonic saves Amy from being blown to bits, then chases after Eggman. Amy is therefore declared the winner. At the end of the episode, the final lineup includes: Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Emerl, Lucky, Chris, Mr. Stewart and Tanaka.
- In the original version, the ingredients Decoe and Bocoe were ordered to get are six tons of wire and five bottles of paint. In the English dub, this was changed to three tons of extra-large nails, and five-thousand cans of "spit and sparkle varnish".
- The scene where Cream is giving Emerl a flower necklace was cut from the English dub.
- The Japanese names on the tournament bracket were blanked in the English dub.
- In the Japanese version, there is a scene where Big and Ella fought. In the English dub, this scene was cut out.
- In the English dub, right after Tails wins his match against Hawk, a shot of a woman in the stands is replaced with a shot of spectators.
- In one scene, the English dub had balloons in the store. In the Japanese version, it had balloons of the Sonic X characters.
Title in other languages
|Japanese||ソニックバトル・開催！！||Sonic Battle: Opening!!|
|French||Un concours passionnant||An exciting contest|
|German||Der Wettkampf||The competition|
|Italian||Lotta per lo smeraldo||Fight for the emerald|
|Spanish||¡Comienza la batalla de Sonic!||Get in on the battle of Sonic!|
|Russian||Битвы Соника — Начало!!!||Sonic battles - the Beginning!|