- The correct title of this article is Project Shadow (episode). It appears incorrectly here because of technical restrictions. Specifically: Article titles cannot begin with a namespace alias.
- For the canon event, see Project Shadow.
Japanese title card
16 November 2003 (Japan)
|Season 2/Series 1|
"Project: Shadow" (プロジェクト・シャドウの謎 Purojekuto Shadou no Nazo?, lit. "The Mystery of Project Shadow") is the thirty-third episode of the anime series, Sonic X, as well as the first episode of the Shadow Saga. It first aired on 16 November 2003 and 30 October 2004 in Japan and United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose
- Cream the Rabbit
- Shadow the Hedgehog (First appearance)
- Rouge the Bat
- Christopher Thorndyke
- Nelson Thorndyke
- Lindsey Thorndyke
- Chuck Thorndyke
- Christina Cooper
- President's third assistant
- Mister Stewart
- Scarlet Garcia
- Gerald Robotnik (First appearance)
- Maria Robotnik (First appearance)
- Doctor Eggman
- Gotta Go Fast - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- Gotta Go Fast (shortened) - Closing theme
The episode starts with Sonic running through the ruins of Station Square following Perfect Chaos' destruction of the city when he suddenly hears crying sounds from the debris. As the residents of Station Square repair their city, Guardian Units of Nations begins mass production of its own Hunter series robots to counter Dr. Eggman. Using a spy robot, Eggman examines their progress and notes with annoyance that "all they did was copy (his) designs." As he hacks GUN's computers for more information--displaying pictures of several GUN robots from Sonic Adventure 2--he finds a database entry for Gerald Robotnik. Eggman concludes that he was born on Earth, rather than in Sonic's world, and that the two are parallel dimensions. As Eggman continues his search, he uncovers Gerald's diary that reveals he has finished the final product of his "Ultimate Life Form" project, named "Shadow". Transferring it from GUN's computers alerts them to his activities, and the President assigns Rouge and Topaz to monitor him.
Rouge and Topaz secure a Chaos Emerald to use as bait to gain Eggman's trust--as well as the Master Emerald itself, which Rouge is unwilling to leave behind although Knuckles tried to stop her. Meanwhile, Eggman fights his way into GUN's base on Prison Island. He reaches the capsule containing Shadow and releases him, astonished to see the silhouette of a hedgehog in the cryogenic vapors.
- The following scenes have been cut/edited:
Differences from Sonic Adventure 2
- In the encounter between Knuckles and Rouge fighting over the Master Emerald, the Master Emerald was not shattered in the episode; rather it was stolen by Rouge. Also, Eggman was absent from the scene and Knuckles and Rouge did attack each other (when they didn't in Sonic Adventure 2).
- The Australian DVD gives the name of the episode as "Shadow".
- Gerald Robotnik's diary was different in this episode than the one used in the source material, as it omitted any references to Maria's death or his resulting insanity and it indicated that the main reason he wanted Shadow released was as vengeance against GUN for the measure of immorality he found intolerable in regards to a conspiracy involving taking over both his Artificial Chaos project as well as the Eclipse Cannon.
- Knuckles does not recognize Rouge in her costume even though he saw her in the same costume in "Beating Eggman, Part 2".