Psychokinesis (サイコキネシス Saikokineshisu?), also called PK, is a move used by Silver the Hedgehog that first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). It is a technique that lets Silver move (-kinesis) matter with the mind (ps'ycho-) remotely, and is the signature move amongst his psychokinetic powers.
Psychokinesis is Silver the Hedgehog's most frequent performed move, which he uses it to manipulate objects. When in usage, Silver focuses his psychokinetic powers on the environment around him, allowing him to pick up surrounding matter with the power of his mind without exerting physical forces on them, causing objects to be hoist into the air and move according to his will. Whenever in usage, Silver's psychokinesis power surrounds the targeted object with a cyan aura coating.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Psychokinesis is one of Silver's usable moves in gameplay and can be used for a variety of purposes. In this game, Silver is surrounded in a cyan aura himself when using Psychokinesis. To use this move in gameplay, the player has to hold down /.
Psychokinesis' primary function is to pick surrounding objects to use as projectiles against enemies. When using Psychokinesis near potential objects, the player will automatically pick them up, causing them to levitate around Silver. Psychokinesis will then remain active until Silver has thrown away the objects with either Psycho Smash, Hold Smash or Grab All, or simply drops them which can be done by pressing / again. Also, if an enemy is paralyzed, Silver can pick them up with Psychokinesis as well. With each object picked up by Psychokinesis however, Silver's Action Gauge decreases slightly; if it runs out or does not have enough energy, Psychokinesis cannot be used to pick up more objects.
Another use for Psychokinesis is to grab enemies projectiles. If large projectiles, like fireballs or missiles, are fired by enemies, the player can use Psychokinesis to grab them in midair and then throw them back at enemies with Psycho Smash. Like regular objects though, each grabbed projectile decreases Silver's Action Gauge and if it runs out or does not have enough energy, Psychokinesis cannot grab more projectiles.
By standing on top of a movable object, such as Crates or cars, and using Psychokinesis on it, it will cause Silver and the object in question to rise into the air. While standing on the object, Silver can fly through the air and reach higher areas, and the player can use the left control stick to direct the flight. Using Psychokinesis this way steadily drains the Action Gauge though, and when it reaches 15-20%, the player can no longer move the object.
Psychokinesis can also be used to create paths in the game. By using Psychokinesis on a PK mark, Silver will be able to reach a new area, either by a path being formed from surrounding objects that move permanently into place, pull apart cages blocking the path, or by bending bars that send Silver flying into the area. Using Psychokinesis this way does not drain Silver's Action Gauge.
In the boss battles against Silver, Silver can exclusively use Psychokinesis to grab the player's character when they get too close at the wrong time and throw them away, causing damage. This is not possible in normal gameplay, but in the 2P multiplayer.
Psychokinesis is seen again during the boss battle against Silver in the console/PC version of Sonic Generations. In this game, it can be seen when Silver picks up objects from the surroundings to attack Sonic, like his Meteor Smash. Also, Silver is not surrounded by a cyan aura when using Psychokinesis.
Levitate is a midair version of Psychokinesis used by Silver. By basically performing Psychokinesis on himself, Silver is able to levitate and fly through the air for a short time.
Shield of Light
The Shield of Light is an enhanced version of Psychokinesis used by Silver in his Super State. It is only used during the boss battle against Solaris. With this move, Super Silver exerts a fields that lets him grab Solaris' solid projectiles and energy balls, before throwing them back at him.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the ability is known as "Telekinesis", and Silver usually extends his arm in order to remotely pick things up, and push or pull things, including living things. He tends to use this ability frequently, even once using it to throw Sonic against a building. In this version, a cyan aura appears when Silver uses his psychic powers like in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "Psychokinesis" is an umbrella term for any ability that involves using the mind to manipulate something.
- According to Silver, Psychokinesis cannot grab lasers.
- In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Silver calls his power 'psychokinesis'. In Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2, he calls it his 'ESP' ability. It should be noted, however, that 'psychokinesis' is an umbrella term for any ability that involves using the mind to manipulate something, while ESP is the acronym for "extrasensory perception", such as seeing things as they happen miles away, or seeing the future or past which Silver has not being seen demonstrating such abilities.
- In Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Lyric can be seen using an ability visually similar to Psychokinesis during the boss battle against him, where his hands glow green and cause large pillars to levitate.
- Silver seems to be extremely strong while using Psychokinesis, as he is able to lift a ball of rock nearly half the size of Iblis, and then throw it back at him. Another example is in the boss fight against him in Sonic Generations when he hurls a colossal boulder made of wreckage at Sonic.
- Strangely, there are some objects that cannot be picked by Psychokinesis in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), like Ice balls and the spheres in Silver's Dusty Desert. This is most likely done in purpose for gameplay mechanics and not because Psychokinesis cannot pick it up.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (PlayStation 3) US instruction manual pg. 17.