Knuckles using the Punch Attack in Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
|Statistics and Overview|
A combo of powerful punches.
The Punch Attack (パンチ攻撃 Panchi kōgeki?), also known as Punch (パンチ Panchi?), is one of the signature moves of Knuckles the Echidna. It first appeared in Sonic Adventure and has since then been one of Knuckles basic moves in all the major games in the Sonic series where Knuckles is playable. Other characters has also made use of the Punch Attack, namely Tikal, Chaos 0 and E-123 Omega. It is a basic triple punch combo the user delivers to the opponents.
When using the Punch Attack, the user must stand firmly on the ground. The user then punches the opponent in front with their fists up to three times in a successive combo attack. This is done in gameplay by pressing the Action Button three times in succession. In Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle the Punch Attack can be enhanced with the Hammer Gloves, which allows Knuckles to break iron craters.
The performance of the combo slightly differs from each game. It usually follows a quick one-two jab, followed by a third, more powerful strike.
Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX
- Knuckles punches with his right fist and sends out a purple pulse.
- Knuckles follows up with a punch with his left fist and sends out a purple pulse.
- Knuckles finishes with a strong punch with his right fist while charging forward. The force from it forms a large red energy field around him and a leaves a red trail. This is called the Dash Punch.
Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure2: Battle
In Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Knuckles and the additional characters in the games' two-player mode, namely Tikal and Chaos 0, could perform the Punch Attack. While Tikal's Punch Attack is identical to Knuckles', Chaos 0's Punch Attack has further reach due to Chaos 0's stretchy limbs.
- The user punches with his/hers right fist while putting a little body weight into the strike.
- The user follows up with a more reckless punch with his/hers left fist while putting a little body weight into the strike.
- The user finishes with a jump into the air while delivering a twisting uppercut with his/hers left fist. This is called the Tornado Claw.
Knuckles can attack with a combination of up to three punches by pressing the B Button a number of times in succession-
- Knuckles delivers a quick right cross while standing firm.
- Knuckles takes a step forward as he follows up with a quick left cross.
- Knuckles finishes the combination with a fiery high-rising uppercut, similar to the Spiral Upper.
- The user executes a powerful right punch while the Fly Type member is in spinball form in his fist, with bursts of fire created when performed. This is called the Dash punch.
- executes a powerful left punch while the Speed Type is in spinball form in his fist, with bursts of fire created when performed. This is called the Spinning Back punch.
- The user finishes the combo with the Volcanic Dunk (Knuckles)/Omega Arm (Omega).
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Knuckles delivers a full-force strike with his right fist. This is called the Heat Knuckle (ヒートナックル Hītonakkuru?).
- Knuckles follows up with a quick spin to build up momentum and strikes with his right fist. This is called the Back Claw (バックブロー Bakkuburō?, lit. "Back Blow").
- Knuckles finishes by jumping into the air and punches into the ground with his right fist, which sends out a delayed red shock-wave. This is called the Stone Breaker Punch (岩石割パンチ Ganseki wari panchi?, lit. "Rock Split Punch").
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)