Knuckles using the Punch Attack in Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut.
|Statistics and Overview|
A combo of powerful punches.
The Punch Attack (パンチ攻撃 Panchi kōgeki?), also known as Punch (パンチ Panchi?), is one of the signature moves of Knuckles the Echidna. Other characters have since made use of the Punch Attack, namely Miles "Tails" Prower and Shadow the Hedgehog. It is a basic triple punch combo the user delivers to the opponents.
When using the Punch Attack, the user stands firmly on the ground where he/she punches the opponent in front with his/hers fists up to three times in a successive combo attack.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Knuckles is first seen using a punch in his debut title, Sonic the Hedgehog 3. In Launch Base Zone, he punches the Egg Mobile in an effort to block the player's progress, but the foundation he's standing on gives away as the Death Egg launches and he falls into the water below. If the player is playing the standalone game, this leaves Knuckles' fate uncertain (unless the Bad Ending is obtained, showing Knuckles juggling the remaining Chaos Emeralds with Robotnik at his side); however, he returns in Sonic & Knuckles and the locked-on version, and uses a quick death-dealing punch at the showdown of Hidden Palace Zone if Sonic or Tails is too close to him on the ground. He uses a similar tactic in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure, which is a condensed version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with different bosses.
The Punch made an appearance in Tails Adventure, which is chronologically its earliest known appearance. The move can be used by Tails when the Knuckles item is equipped. To use the move, the player must press Button 1, the player can perform multiple punches by repeatedly pressing the button.
Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
- Knuckles punches with his right fist and sends out a purple pulse.
- Knuckles follows up with a punch with his left fist and sends out a purple pulse.
- Knuckles finishes with a strong punch with his right fist while charging forward. The force from it forms a large red energy field around him and a leaves a red trail. This is called the Dash Punch.
To perform the Punch Attack in gameplay, the player has to press the B/X button. To execute the Punch Attack as a combo, the player has to press the B/X button up to three times in succession.
In Sonic Shuffle, Knuckles does a punch as his basic attack. When using two cards at once, he may use a Dash Punch Attack (ダッシュパンチ攻撃).
Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
The Punch Attack reappeared as Knuckles' signature move in Sonic Adventure 2 and its remake, where it was called Punch. Tikal and Chaos can also perform identical moves in the games' two-player mode, although Chaos's Punch Attack has further reach in re-releases due to Chaos 0's stretchy limbs. Like in Sonic Adventure, it is a three-punch combo attack:
- The user punches with his/hers right fist while putting a little body weight into the strike.
- The user follows up with a more reckless punch with his/hers left fist while putting a little body weight into the strike.
- The user finishes with a jump into the air while delivering a twisting uppercut with his/hers left fist. This is called the Tornado Claw. If running at high speeds, instead of a uppercut Knuckles will do a Spiral Attack, where Knuckles will will launch himself spinning through the air for a short time, while keeping his fists in front.
To perform the Punch Attack in gameplay, the player has to press . To execute the Punch Attack as a combo, the player has to press up to three times in succession. In the game, Knuckles' Punch Attack can be enhanced with the Hammer Gloves, which allows him to break iron craters.
The Punch Attack returned as one of Knuckles's attacks. Like in the games' before it, the Punch Attack is a three-punch combo:
- Knuckles delivers a quick right cross while standing firm.
- Knuckles takes a step forward as he follows up with a quick left cross.
- Knuckles finishes the combination with a fiery high-rising uppercut, similar to the Spiral Upper.
To perform the Punch Attack in gameplay, the player has to press . To execute the Punch Attack as a combo, the player has to press up to three times in succession.
Shadow the Hedgehog
- Shadow delivers a quick right cross whilst standing firm.
- Shadow then steps forward slightly as he follows up with a quick left cross.
- To finish the combination, Shadow performs a fast, rising somersault kick.
To perform the Punch in gameplay, the player has to press // up to three times in succession when Shadow is not equipped with a weapon. If performed in midair, Shadow stays stationary in the air for a brief second and performs a spinning kick.
Additionally, some of Shadow's allies can perform Punch when controlled by another player in the GameCube/PlayStation 2 version of the game. Like Shadow, the player can perform Punch by pressing //. Characters who can use Punch are:
In the game's Two Player mode, two of the playable Shadow Androids, which appear at the top of the character select screen, use Shadow's move-set, and therefore can also use Punch.
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
The Punch Attack made another appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), where it was referred to as Punch. In this game, it was once again one of Knuckles' attack and returned to being a three-punch combo:
- Knuckles delivers a full-force strike with his right fist. This is called the Heat Knuckle (ヒートナックル Hītonakkuru?).
- Knuckles follows up with a quick spin to build up momentum and strikes with his right fist. This is called the Back Claw (バックブロー Bakkuburō?, lit. "Back Blow").
- Knuckles finishes by jumping into the air and punches into the ground with his right fist, which sends out a delayed red shock-wave. This is called the Stone Breaker Punch (岩石割パンチ Ganseki Wari Panchi?, lit. "Rock Splitter Punch").
To perform the Punch in gameplay, the player has to press /. To execute the Punch as a combo, the player has to press / up to three times in succession.
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)