Once Wisps are captured by Dr. Eggman, they are converted into Nega-Wisps, like the Purple Wisps. These unfortunate Wisps are violent and are forced to carry out Dr. Eggman’s evil plans.
— Description of the Purple Wisp, Sonic Colors
Being a Nega-Wisp, the Purple Wisps have a more menacing look than the other Wisps. They have three tentacles that are wide near the middle and end in a jagged point, which stem from their head, which split into two horn-like protrusions. They lack eyes, unlike normal Wisps, and have a wide, sharp fanged-like mouth in the style of a jack-o-lantern.
The Purple Wisps made their first appearance on both versions of Sonic Colors, though they only appear during cutscenes on the Nintendo DS version. Here, the Purple Wisps were originally normal Wisps, until they were captured by Dr. Eggman during Sonic Colors and syphoned dry of their Hyper-go-on in an attempt on the doctor's behalf to take over Earth with a Mind Control Ray. This process, however, mutated these unfortunate Wisps into the corrupted Purple Wisps, who were forced to carry out Eggman's evil plans. Near the end of Sonic Colors, however, all of the Purple Wisps were returned to normal by the remainder of the Wisp race with their own Hyper-go-on, who had been freed by Sonic the Hedgehog.
The Purple Wisps appear in all Areas on the Wii version of the game.
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
The Purple Wisps made an appearance in the Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games during the Dream Event, Sonic's Figure Skating Spectacular. Here, a Purple Wisp is one of the Wisps that the four participating characters free from a Wisp Capsule as the player(s) proceed down the event's course. When the player then has to defeat the Rotatatron, the Purple Wisp appears and joins the other Wisps that were freed during the event and later the four characters in perform the Final Color Blaster, which deals the final blow on the Rotatatron.
Unlike normal Wisps, who have playful personalities, the Purple Wisps are rather violent. However, they are not evil by nature and do not like Dr. Eggman like the rest of their race, despite serving him. As such, they were more willing to side with Sonic.
Powers and abilities
The Purple Wisps are able to levitate in midair at will, which serves as their main method of transportation.
The Purple Wisps are able to generate and store their own unique variant of a powerful energy known as Hyper-go-on inside their own bodies, which is their life source. However, due to their mutation, the Purple Wisps' Hyper-go-on has been corrupted, resulting in a darker and negative version of their Hyper-go-on. It is unclear to what extent they can use their own Hyper-go-on.
The Purple Wisps are able to pass on a fraction of their Hyper-go-on to other beings by phasing into their body, which allows them to transform into the Purple Frenzy which can eat anything in its path and grow larger from it.
Appearance in other media
The Purple Wisps made a brief appearance in the Archie Comics' adaption of Sonic Colors, in Sonic the Hedgehog #219, where a Purple Wisp joined Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Yacker and some other Wisps, as Sonic ventured out to save its race from Eggman.
- The Purple Wisp is the only Wisp not to have eyes, besides the Nintendo DS-exclusive Violet Wisp, the Black Wisps from Sonic Lost World, and the Nega-Mother Wisp. This is a trait shared by all Nega-Wisps.
- In the game manual and according to Tails, the Purple Wisps are called the "Nega-Wisp". The Violet Wisp is the Nega-Wisp of the Nintendo DS version.
- The Purple Wisp is the only Wisp that is not featured in Eggman's Sonic Simulator.
- When using the Purple Wisp, there is a blur that appears along the sides of the screen.
- Aside from Terminal Velocity, the Purple Wisp appears in at least one Act in every location in Sonic Colors. It shares this trait with the Cyan Wisp.
- The Purple Wisp is the only type of Nega-Wisp to appear in a game outside Sonic Colors, namely Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
Sprites and models