The Red Burst (レッド・バースト Reddo bāsuto?) is a transformation for potentially multiple users which first appeared in the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors. It is a Color Power gained by absorbing a Red Wisp and its Hyper-go-on, which turns the user into a burning ball of flames.
When using the Red Burst, the user turns into a red fireball that constantly gives off an aura of flames. In Sonic's case, his entire body turns into a large version of his own head with no facial features except for his eyes, which have lost their pupils and have turned yellow, and his ears which have lost their ear canals. Additionally, his quills have taken the shape of flames, his ears have become slightly curved, and he gains a stubby curved horn on his forehead.
Powers and abilities
As the Red Burst, the user obtains limited pyrokinetic abilities. The user can either form a shield of flames around themselves that instantly incinerates anything it touches, and they can create explosions of fire by combusting into flames without inflicting harm on themselves. These explosions can be channeled to shoot the user higher into the air or be charged up to trigger large-scale and powerful explosions that destroys nearly anything within its range. In addition, the user's speed increases while using Red Burst.
In gameplay, the player can only use the Red Burst while in possession of a Red Wisp. Transforming into the Red Burst will cause the Wisp Gauge to start depleting, and once it runs out, the user will revert back to normal. To extend its duration, the player can either collect more Red Wisps or touch flames found in the level's environment, the latter of which will not harm the player.
As the Red Burst, any enemy or weaker obstacle the player touches is instantly destroyed. The player is also able to jump, and by pressing the jump button in the middle of the jump, the player can make the Red Burst Jump higher and higher as many times as desired, similar to Scale.
By holding down the jump button, the player can charge explosions. The longer the explosion is charged, the larger it becomes, allowing bigger jumps and more offensive explosions. The explosions charged to the maximum are capable of destroying all nearby enemies, traps and obstacles, dealing heavy damage to bosses and opening Wisp Capsules and Item Boxes. While holding down the jump button, the Red Burst's descend through midair is slowed down.
As the Red Burst, the player cannot lose a life due to damage, even if the player has no Rings at all, though Sonic can still lose Rings from damaging obstacles like spikes or taking damage from bosses. While as the Red Burst, the player will also automatically move forward.
The Red Burst can be used for certain gimmicks in the game. It can stand in hot air balloons in Sweet Mountain to make said balloons ascend, board the passenger cars on Ferris wheels in Tropical Resort which will ignite them and launch the player forward through midair, and enter popcorn cannons in Sweet Mountain which will shoot the player out.
In gameplay, the Red Burst is activated by pressing . To jump on both the ground and in midair, the player has to press /// and to build up jumps/explosions the player has to hold down ///.
In the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, only Classic Sonic can use the Red Burst. It can only be used in Tropical Resort Act 1 as the Red Wisps are only be found there. In this game, the Red Burst retains its properties from Sonic Colors and can as use the same Ferris wheels gimmicks.
To activate the Red Burst, the player has to press . To jump on both the ground and in midair, the player has to press and to build up jumps/explosions, the player has to hold down .
Sonic Lost World
The player can transform into the Red Burst by tapping the icon of the Red Wisp on the touchscreen. To jump on both the ground and in midair, the player has to press and release /, and to build up jumps/explosions, the player has to hold down /.
- The Red Burst can deal extra damage against Globotron and Captain Jelly in the DS version of Sonic Colors.
- In the Wisps' native tongue, Red Burst is transliterated as "8&6#WM%$^".
- The Red Burst is one of the most recurring Color Powers in the series yet it has never once appeared on a home console, outside of cameo.
- Sonic Lost World is the only game where the Red Burst can be controlled in 3D.
- Out of the four Color Powers to return in Sonic Lost World, the Red Burst is the only one to have its theme song changed; its theme from the DS version of Sonic Colors is similar to the Pink Spikes from the Wii version of Sonic Colors, while its theme in Sonic Lost World is a remix of Right There, Ride On from Sonic Rush.
- The Red Burst bears some resemblance to the fiery head in the Sonic Battle logo.
- Red Burst's jingle is very similar to Pink Spike's jingle.
- The Red Burst is the only Wisp in the entire series to be able to replenish it's Hyper-go-on without the use of a Wisp Capsule. In the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World, Sonic can replenish the Wisp's Hyper-go-on by going into a pool of fire.