Rocky in Sonic Runners
in other media
|Also known as||
|Alignment and character traits|
Rocky (ロッキー Rokkī?) is the name given for the small walruses who are known as some of Sonic's animal friends. Rocky made his first appearance in the original Sonic the Hedgehog. Rocky's role in many games included him being captured by Dr. Eggman along with other animals to being used as energy sources for the doctor's Badniks or imprisoned inside capsules. Rocky is a rather small walrus with wide eyes, small nose and bushy mustache.
Early on in the series, Rocky was renamed Joe Sushi by Sega of America in the second draft of the Sonic Bible. It is stated in the Sonic Bible that Joe Sushi came from a large family like the other animal friends. The name Joe Sushi was used in the western markets and the other media. Rotor the Walrus in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series published by Archie Comics and the the animated series has also been based on Rocky.
Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
Rocky made his debut appearance in the 16-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog. In the game's storyline, Rocky and the other animal friends on South Island were captured by Dr. Robotnik who turned them into energy sources for his Badnik army. In the game, Rocky can be found in Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain Zone Act 3, where he appears when the player breaks him out from the local Badniks or opens the capsules.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Rocky's next appearance was in the 16-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. IN this game, the Rockies and the other animal friends on West Side Island were captured by Dr. Robotnik where they were either turned in energy sources for the doctor's Badniks or imprisoned in capsules. In the game, Rocky can only be found in Oil Ocean Zone. In 2013 re-release of the game, he can also be found in Hidden Palace Zone.
In the 8-bit version of the game with same name, Rocky is only featured in Aqua Lake Zone, where they, like in their previous 8-bit appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog, only appear when released from the hovering capsule.
Rocky, along with Sonic, Tails, Amy and the other animal friends, appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld. Rocky himself is seen on a pairs of cards in the Concentration Game. He is also exclusively featured in the Poker Game and Bakudan Nuki mini-game in the Japanese version of the game.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Rocky made another appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, where he and the other animals friends once again reprise their original roles, where they are captured by Dr. Robotnik and are either used as power sources for the doctor's Badniks or imprisoned inside capsules. In the game, Rocky can be found in Hydrocity Zone and Icecap Zone.
Mario & Sonic series
Sonic Lost World
Rocky along with other animal friends also appeared in Sonic Lost World, where they are shown to inhabit the Lost Hex. During the events of the game, Dr. Eggman, with the assistance of Deadly Six, resumed kidnapping animals, including Rocky, to use them as the energy sources for his badnik army. The small group of animals, including another Rocky that managed to escape capture, remained behind with Knuckles and Amy while Sonic and Tails went out to save their friends, where some of them had fun at the expense of Knuckles and even carried him around.
Rocky, along with other animals in Sonic Lost World, are collectible content used to progress throughout the game. Once the player has collected a set amount of Rocky and other animals, the player gains access to the fourth Zone in each area. Sonic is able to free animals from badniks, smaller capsules and even regular large ones at the end of each Zone. Rocky and animals can also be collected from Circus tents of each Zone. Rocky himself is featured in Desert Ruins, Tropical Coast, Frozen Factory and Silent Forest and Lava Mountain.
- Rocky along with other animal friends make small appearances in the background of multiple pictures in the Sonic the Screen Saver.
- Many previous pictures and some character artworks of animal friends are featured in Sonic Jam and are later seen in Sonic Gems Collection.
Apperances in other media
Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic
Rocky, along with other animal friends, appears in Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic manga. He appears in few panels in first two stories. In Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic Volume 3' story Sonic Rampage!! he, Flicky and Pecky gets kidnapped by doctor Eggman who uses them as baits to get rid of Sonic. During the moment of truth, Eggman threatened to torture them to death if Sonic would not give up. Despite that, Sonic manages to free Rocky and others from device of Egg Mobile with the speed of sound and after that he finished Eggman.
Sonic the Comic
Rocky made few cameo appearances in two of the episodes in the Sonic X anime. He is depicted the same way as he is seen in games, though his irises are colored cayn. He is seen along with other animals in a TV report in "Defective Detectives" and was seen briefly with other animals in "A New Start".
- "Can you find Tails?" - Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld
- "Do you like my mustache?"- Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld
- Before Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog animated series, DiC had plans for a much different Sonic cartoon which was never made, but promotional art has been discovered. Among the cast of this show was a very large, buff, angry walrus named Joe Sushi who was part of Sonic's "Freedom Team".
- Rocky is one of only animal friends, that hasn't made appearance in Sonic & Knuckles or any episodes of Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Also, he isn't seen among rest of animals in single scene at the perfect ending of Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure.
- The Stay Sonic guidebook gives a overview how Sonic has became equally adept on diving and swimming with the demonstration given by Joe Sushi (who was mentioned as "the unfortunately named walrus"). This is however, only stated once in the guidebook.
- ↑ "Sonic's main buddies are Johnny Lightfoot, Sally Acorn, Porker Lewis, Chirps, Tux, Flicky the Blue Bird, and Joe Sushi. Each comes from a large family, and each is playful and friendly." - Description from Sonic Bible Draft II page 15.
- ↑ "Mobius is covered with a great deal of water. Sonic became equally adept in aquatic conditions after he met Joe Sushi (the unfortunately named walrus) while paddling along the shore one day. Sushi demonstrated how to dive and swim underwater." Description from Stay Sonic, pages 18 & 19.