|This article is about a real-life person.|
Information in this article is about real-life people, companies, and objects, and does not relate to the in-universe Sonic series.
Roger Craig Smith is an American voice actor and former stand-up comedian who is the current voice actor of Sonic the Hedgehog in different medias, having succeeded Jason Griffith as of 2010 in Sonic Free Riders.
Alton Towers controversy
Sonic Stadium member T-Bird visited the Alton Towers resort in the UK which featured the "Sonic Room," a Sonic-themed room, which opened in 2010 with Sonic Spinball. When the entry door to the room opens, patrons are greeted by audio recording of Sonic. People heavily criticized the Sonic voice saying it sounded too "surfer, cheesy and very weak." People wondered who the person behind the Sonic voice was until the Sonic Stadium contacted Smith and asked him if he was the voice. He simply responded "yes." A commercial he did for Alton Towers sounded better than the room's actual voice.
As of 16 August 2010, however, it was revealed that the audio clips of Roger Craig Smith performing Sonic at Alton Towers were edited and slowed down, and some of the original unedited voice clips were released on the internet for download.
As a cutscene of Sonic Colors was revealed on the internet, the final voice for Sonic varied a lot from the Alton Towers announcements. The voice got into a big change, sounding a lot deeper than the original voice that was done by Jason Griffith. The reason why the voice varied a lot from the one in Alton Towers was earlier explained by Roger. He said that Sega had asked him to make Sonic sound "older" before the announcements that were given at Alton Towers.
- Sonic the Hedgehog series:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2010–present)
- Sonic Boom:
Smith has been met with mostly positive reception. In the Sonic Colors Nintendo Power review, it was written that the good thing about the story was Sonic because he was voiced by Roger. They had praised Roger by saying that he gives Sonic a very "cool" personality, that Sonic looks cool "for the first time in a long while" and that he has a "less cringeworthy persona". IGN and ScrewAttack.com also praised Smith's voice work, saying that this is the first Sonic game in years where they can listen to the voice acting and not cringe. However, Gametrailers.com criticized Smith saying that he and the other voices in the Free Riders review were "laughable" and in the Colors review said, "We would not object to Sonic being a mute hero". Destructoid.com reviewer Jim Sterling criticized Smith as well, saying “Sonic seems to have had a personality makeover, now becoming an affable idiot with a terrible sense of humor."
His performance received mixed reviews from fans. Some fans praised his voice for having a good portrayal of Sonic's personality and attitude, but others have criticized it for being "too deep" and too anime-generic. Another addition to the disappointment was that he was offered the role by SEGA and did not audition, which many fans felt was unfair to other voice actors, especially Ryan Drummond and Jason Griffith (who, unlike Roger, earned their role as Sonic in an audition).
However, the popularity of Smith's voice for Sonic skyrocketed after Project 24 SegaSonic:Radio, a 24-hour chatroom held by fans. Roger was a special Guest on the Talk It Up! part of the 24 hour radio block. During the aforementioned show, Roger was involved in the Sonic Stadium IRC chat room while being interviewed by Talk It Up! host, cdrom1019. In the interview, Roger Craig Smith revealed that he had to audition just like everyone else.
- During a 2012 panel, Roger was asked to recite a certain famous speech from Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie in his Sonic voice. He was also requested to say a parody of Vic Mignogna's "Colonel Mustang looks dead sexy... in a miniskirt!" line as "Baldy McNosehair looks dead sexy in a miniskirt!"
- Roger's favorite Sonic Boom episode is "Battle of the Boy Bands".
- Roger's favorite Sonic Boom character is Knuckles.
- ↑ Sega America Blog | Out of the Mouths of Hedgehogs
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (3 July 2017). Retrieved on 3 July 2017. “Bill Freiberger: @RogerCraigSmith is the voice of Admiral Beaverton.”
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (November 29, 2014). Retrieved on 29 November 2014. “Sonic the Hedgehog: Fun fact: Dave the Intern is voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who is also the voice of Sonic! #SonicBoom”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (1 January 2017). Retrieved on 1 January 2017. “Elliot Matteson: There's something familiar about Dreamcaster's voice, but I can't place it. A guest voice actor perhaps? / Bill Freiberger: @RogerCraigSmith is the voice of Dreamcaster.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (8 March 2017). Retrieved on 8 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: Gunther is a ferret. He is voiced by @RogerCraigSmith.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (2 February 2017). Retrieved on 2 February 2017. “Bill Freiberger: The voice for Professor Cluckins is @RogerCraigSmith.”
- ↑ Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2017). Retrieved on 20 April 2017. “Alexander Soerensen: If I may ask, who voiced Beta and Retro in "Nominatus Rising"? / Bill Freiberger: The voice of Beta was @VOKirk and the voice of Retro was @RogerCraigSmith.”
- ↑ Roger Craig Smith on Twitter. Twitter (16 November 2014). Retrieved on 29 March 2015. “Samantha Smith: I was wondering did you voice the little robot (U.T) in episode 3 of Sonic Boom? / Roger Craig Smith: I did. Good ear, considering the voice was altered!”
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNoPp2BuVFg&t=37m41s
- ↑ Roger Craig Smith on Twitter. Twitter (18 March 2017). Retrieved on 18 March 2017. “Steven19: What is each of you guys favorite episode of the show so far? And why? / Roger Craig Smith: The boy band episode---because singing!”
- ↑ Roger Craig Smith on Twitter. Twitter (18 March 2017). Retrieved on 18 March 2017. “CraigBeverlin: who is your favorite character? / Roger Craig Smith: Knucks.”
- Roger Craig Smith at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia