Rollers are blue round-shaped Badniks with a red V-shaped horn above their eyes. Their body is a sphere which has been open along the middle like a hatch, revealing a pair of black eyes and small gray three-fingered hands. They also have two mechanical feet and a sharp tail. All their limbs hide inside their body when they assume their spherical form.
The Rollers' originally appeared in the 16-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog where they can be found in Spring Yard Zone. It is most easy to defeated when it stops and opens its casing to check the surroundings. They can also be defeated with a Spin Attack whilst moving (albeit with some difficulty).
Rollers have a tendency to plow through Sonic when the player least expects it, but the player should be particularly wary when crossing areas with steep hills as these places are where Rollers are more common.
Powers and abilities
The Rollers can curl into a ball, similar to the Spin Attack, and travel at high speeds with the intention of plowing through their prey. One screen is not simply enough to notice the Roller, as they can come any moment behind its victim at high speed.
Sonic Mania reintroduced a remodeled Roller named the Roller mk.II. In this game, they are featured as enemies in Mirage Saloon Zone, where they seem to be more energetic, bouncing around frequently and bumping into the playable characters.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, the Rollers are a part of Dr. Robotnik's Badnik army. They are also among the first generation of Badniks Robotnik produced, making them one of the doctor's oldest troppers. Also, a kindhearted Roller (named, simply, "Badnik") once befriended a young boy named Smokey, who convinced Sonic to spare it.
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series, Roller has a more humanoid design and wears a business suit. Also, instead of curling into a ball, he turns into a bowling ball. In this media, Roller and his partner Ball Hog were a part of Dr. Robotnik's Or Else Protection Service, who bullied Mobians into paying them to not destroy their business, but they were destroyed by Sonic. Later, Tails converted their remains into a waiter for Bert's Diner.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Rollers were among the first generation of badniks produced by Dr. Robotnik. One briefly appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog #18 to fight Sonic, but was easily defeated.
The toy company TOMY has released Roller action figurine during the release of Sonic & Knuckles as it also includes a series of 21 Sonic figurines and these figurines came in packs of four under the Sonic & Knuckles label and were also released individually under a Sonic the Hedgehog label.
- Since the Spring Yard Zone was originally called "Sparkling Zone", Rollers were showed to be purple instead of blue in magazine screenshots.
- In Spring Yard Zone, for odd reason, the Roller's sprites may start to get messed up (looking like part of a Caterkiller's head), which may be a graphical glitch in the game. This happens if the player keeps following it for while.
- Rollers bear some similarities to Sonic the Hedgehog: Both have a blue and red coloration, are able to curl into balls, and can move at high speeds. They seen being able to do both Spin Attack and Spin Jump-type moves.
- It can be noticed that the Roller has similar-looking legs as the Ball Hog and Bomb in artwork illustration.
- Roller is one of the Badniks (along with the Bat Brain) that has not made an appearance in the 8-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog, since Spring Yard Zone does not appear in 8-bit version. Unlike the Bat Brain, none of the Roller's sprites are not found from game's data.