|This character exists primarily or exclusively within the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity.|
Information in this article may not be canonical to the storyline of the games or any other Sonic continuity.
- For the version of this character after the Super Genesis Wave, see Scratch (Archie).
Scratch (created 3228)[note 1] is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He was an "elite" chicken-based Badnik created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik. He was also the leader of the Super Special Sonic Search & Smash Squad and one of the oldest Badniks and enemies of Sonic the Hedgehog. However, his limited A.I. and armaments led to many embarrassing defeats.
Presumably, Scratch and his teammates became residents in the Robo Hobo Jungle until Mammoth Mogul came in 3237 and recruited all the Badniks there to work in his Casino Night Club, and Scratch managed to get a job as the concierge for the club.
Scratch is a tall mechanical rooster-like Badnik, who mostly has a metallic gray coloration on most of his body and a tall slender neck. He also has a dark gray feather-like design surrounding his neck and dark gray coloring around his lower torso. Like a real rooster, he has legs that resemble an actual chicken, a yellow beak, red strootal atop his head, red tail feathers and a red wattle. When Scratch was employed by Mammoth Mogul he gained a black tuxedo with a white shirt underneath and black tie.
After Coconuts' smashed pieces were mailed back to Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder were given the task of stopping Sonic. They failed on their first attempt after Sonic dug a trench around them that caused a cave-in when the two broke into an argument and became distracted. Scratch and Grounder, along with Coconuts, later appeared at a villain tryouts, without success of getting in. Scratch later appeared at a company picnic to celebrate Robotnik's return from hiding following the Universalamander fiasco.
During another unsuccessful attempt at stopping the Knothole Freedom Fighters, Coconuts explained that Scratch was able to last, at longest, sixteen seconds against Sonic. Grounder and Bat Brain both lasted longer.
A subsequent battle had Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts successfully trap the Freedom Fighters in a virtual reality simulation using sleeping gas, but Sonic used the simulation to his advantage and smashed up the simulator and the badniks. Shortly after, Scratch and Grounder had the task of robbing the Mobius Museum of Art, in an attempt to flush out a spy in Robotnik's organization. Sonic knew what was happening and sent them crashing into a toxic waste dump, where Scratch found a note from the spy.
Working for Mogul
Scratch, along with Coconuts and Grounder, returned much later as employees in Mammoth Mogul's newly renovated Casino Night Zone, with Scratch getting a job as the concierge. There, Scratch and his teammates had developed a fear of Sonic, a complete lack of respect for the Destructix and a (possibly greater) fear of Amy Rose.
When Geoffery St. John brought a Chaos emerald to the casino, he threatened to shoot Scratch if he did not let him see Mogul. Scratch pointed out that Mogul was a busy man, but Geoffery told him that "His schedule just opened up." He then went to talk with Coconuts and left Scratch to return to his duties.
- Note: From this point, Scratch's history continues from his new life in the altered timeline.
Scratch is very arrogant in nature and sees himself above his comrades due to his former role as leader of the 6S. He is also said to be the smartest of the S6 Squad, which does not say much for the badniks in general. He is sadistic and will take advantage of the opportunity to gloat at his enemies if given the chance. Despite his slight intelligence, Scratch is easily tricked, easily distracted and has a very short temper. Throughout the years he has gained a great fear of Sonic and a possibly greater fear of Amy Rose.
Powers and abilities
Like a real rooster or chicken, Scratch is capable of pecking his foes, with the pecking more reminiscent of a woodpecker.
- Scratch is based on the character of the same name from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series (which had many elements featured in the comic before they changed the comic's direction).
- Scratch and Grounder were the second characters from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to appear in the Archie Comics, the first being Coconuts.
- Scratch, along with Grounder, currently holds the third longest resolved "non-appearance gap" in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series at 171 issues (Sonic the Hedgehog #16-#187).
- ↑ Sonic mentioned in Sonic the Hedgehog #188 that he fought Scratch when was eight, meaning Scratch was created at some point in 3228.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "The S6 Squad"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Triple Trouble"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Bad-nik Bazaar"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Tails' Little Tale"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "Beat the Clock!"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "Sonic Under Glass!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #187, "Mister Popular"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #188, "Beating the House"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #219, "In Service to the King Part One"