The place is very tropical, and takes place on grassy cliff sides and beaches. It seems to be a homage to Green Hill Zone from the original Sonic the Hedgheog, with the checkered walls and palm trees. The stage after it is Ocean Palace.
In 2P Play, the scenery takes place at sunset much like Sea Gate and even uses Sea Gate's BGM.
After receiving Eggman's message in the desert, Team Sonic somehow manages to get to the island coast and head to the Whale Island to stop Eggman from taking over the world. Team Dark also appears at the scene (again, mysteriously) to go to the Whale Island for Shadow to learn about his past, Rouge to get the Doctor's treasure, and for Omega to get revenge for being locked up with Shadow. Team Rose leave the beach at Seaside Hill to go to Whale Island for Amy to find Sonic, Big to find Froggy, and for Cream to find Chocola. Team Chaotix (once again, mysteriously) arrive at the beach to collect ten hermit crabs to prove their detective skills to their client.
The following is a list of requirements to attain a rank for each mission with each team.
|Rank A||Rank B||Rank C||Rank D||Rank E||Mission 1|
|Team Sonic||60,000||55,000||50,000||45,000||<45,000||Head for the whale Island!|
|Team Dark||70,000||65,000||55,000||45,000||<45,000||Get to the whale Island!|
|Team Rose||48,000||42,000||35,000||28,000||<28,000||Get to the other side of the sea!|
|Team Chaotix||45,000||40,000||35,000||28,000||<28,000||Find 10 Hermit crabs!|
|Rank A||Rank B||Rank C||Rank D||Rank E||Mission 2|
|Team Sonic||50,000||45,000||40,000||32,000||<32,000||Get to the goal ring within 5 minutes!|
|Team Dark||7:00||7:30||9:00||11:00||>11:00||Defeat 100 enemies! (Time minutes.)|
|Team Rose||2:30||3:00||4:00||6:00||>6:00||Collect 200 rings! (Time minutes.)|
|Team Chaotix||35,000||30,000||25,000||18,000||<18,000||Find all 20 Hermit crabs!|
Other game appearanes
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
A snow-covered version of Seaside Hill appears as the location for the Dream Alpine Event in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. In the opening of this Event right before showing the characters, the camera pans around and gives players a view of the starting gate. Giant fans can be seen blowing artificial snow onto the stage so it is safe to assume that it doesn't snow here often.
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Seaside Hill appears as a beginner track in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and is the only stage available in the demo. It is very simplistic, however, it carries many elements from this stage, such as the ramps and cliffs. It is also widely different, due to the fact that this stage is somewhat combined with Ocean Palace and has some elements from Green Hill Zone, including sunflowers and totem poles, and Labyrinth Zone, including traps and carved stone blocks (strongly resembling the ones from the fourth stage of Sonic the Hedgehog). A remixed version of the stage music from Sonic Heroes plays. Chao are bystanders in this track. There are three tracks within the Seaside Hill course: Whale Lagoon, Lost Palace and Ocean Ruin.
Seaside Hill was included in the console/PC version of Sonic Generations, where it was included as the last Dreamcast era level and also adds underwater segments. It also includes segments of Ocean Palace. The cannons from the original are scattered around, as well as the return of the giant turtles and the bobsled. Despite being based on itself from Sonic Heroes, it is more reminiscent to Ocean Palace. If the player completes both Acts, he/she will save Espio.
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Seaside Hill (or its secondary stage Ocean Palace) is the setting to the Ocean View track in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. There is segment were a robotic octopus will try to stop the player while they are in water.
Seaside Hill (Ocean Palace as part of it) is featured again as endless route in Sonic Dash. This version of Seaside Hill is similar to Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing with totem poles and wooden bridges as obstacles to dodge on the route. The player can also travel from grassy route to the more stoned bridge route by choosing the spring with whale statue icon with it and travel back to grassy area by choosing spring with totem pole icon on it. There are also loops and mobius strips as well to go through.
- Seaside Hill is the second-most recurring stage in the series, with Green Hill Zone being the first.
- The E3 demo's Seaside Hill layout still exists in the final game, but with no Rings and is only for Team Rose.
- The intro drums from Misty Lake on Sonic and the Black Knight are similar to the intro drums on the music from Seaside Hill.
- In Sonic Dash, both Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace (named Temple Zone) make an appearance.
- Coincidentally, both stages were combined and were both a part of the Dream Alpine track in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.
- As Team Chaotix, it is possible to fly past the area with the last flower which teleports the player back to the start. This allows the player to access the cannon where Team Rose finishes while the placements are different from the first 2 teams, but when the player reaches the second bobsled area, the section will be blocked off and the player will be stuck there forcing them to restart or exit out of the stage as the bobsled object is not placed on that area for the team.
- A remix of Seaside Hill's music can be heard while fighting on Green Hill Zone in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax.
- On the music gallery, it is the 7th music track and named as "Seaside B-Field".
- Seaside Hill's music appears as one of the songs that can be purchased in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games andMario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.