Shiro Maekawa was a writer at Sega as a member of Sonic Team. The first Sonic game he worked on was Sonic Adventure as the Visual Memory Game Designer, Field Designer and A-Life System Designer. He was a writer for some of the most well-known Sonic games in the early 2000's. He also supervised the writing on Sonic X, mainly during the later episodes.
Scenario and design
- Sonic Adventure (Visual Memory Game Designer, Field Designer, A-Life System Designer)
- Sonic Adventure 2 (Scenario Writer, Story Event Designer, Visual Memory Game Support)
- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (Scenario Writer, Story Event Designer)
- Sonic Heroes (Scenario Writer, Main Game Designer, Enemy Game Designer, Story Board Designer)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (Game Script)
- Sonic and the Secret Rings (Game Designer)
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (Game Mode Designer, Story Board Designer, Story Plotter)
- Sonic and the Black Knight (uncredited story writer)
Direction and supervision
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Development Support)
- Sonic and the Secret Rings (promotional visuals)
- Sonic Unleashed (publicity artwork)
- Sonic and the Black Knight (promotional visuals)
- Various Sonic Channel 2D artwork
- The story Maekawa felt the happiest about writing was Sonic and the Black Knight.
- Maekawa's overall favorite story remains to be Sonic Adventure 2, as he has an emotional attachment to it, being the game he first wrote for. He has stated if he had a chance to rewrite it or change something about it, Shiro Maekawa would only add the scenes he had to cut.
- Maekawa's favorite characters are Team Chaotix, Charmy Bee in particular. He enjoyed writing their lines in Sonic Heroes, and has stated he would write a new story related to them if he had the chance.
- Maekawa has not written much besides Sonic, before or after.
- Maekawa's writing was mostly inspired by Hayao Miyazaki and Mamoru Oshii's films, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Ghost in the Shell in particular.